Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#269956 - 05/15/14 01:10 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Mark_R]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I prefer soft bags for most things, since you can squeeze them in tight corners.

I'm not a real fan of external cargo packs, rack and boxes for cars. Roofs and receivers have limited load capacity. You don't want to over stress you car when you really need the car to work well.

#269957 - 05/15/14 02:09 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Tjin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I agree with Tjin. Roof racks are fine for ski's, but for any serious packing it should be inside. I'm reminded of the insurance commercial when some guy drives into his garage with two bikes upright on the roof of his car wink

I like the idea of a trailer hitch bike-rack though. As it is if things go south due to a fire I will lose my bike, now hanging from the garage rafters. A bike rack would allow me to take it along and give me a transpo option when gas could be tight.

#269963 - 05/15/14 03:24 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Tjin]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Tjin
Roofs and receivers have limited load capacity. You don't want to over stress you car when you really need the car to work well.

That shouldn't be a big issue. Just put light weight items in the roof box. Sleeping bags, extra clothing etc should not over stress any car. Just be reasonable what you put there.

Originally Posted By: Russ
I agree with Tjin. Roof racks are fine for ski's, but for any serious packing it should be inside. I'm reminded of the insurance commercial when some guy drives into his garage with two bikes upright on the roof of his car wink

I like the idea of a trailer hitch bike-rack though. As it is if things go south due to a fire I will lose my bike, now hanging from the garage rafters. A bike rack would allow me to take it along and give me a transpo option when gas could be tight.
However, with a trailor hitch bike rack, even a minor parking lot fender bender could destroy your bikes.

#269972 - 05/15/14 08:54 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
A while back REI had their brand duffels on sale for some % off, I picked up a few for just this application....but the final decision on how many and what size needs to be made based on specifically what is being packed and vehicle constraints

Everest also makes a couple of mildly mitigated bloody great sack duffles that are in the 12-15 gallon range. For a budget brand, they get surprisingly good reviews.

As far as what need what:
Religica and heirlooms, electronics, documents, etc. all need hard case protection. Food and tools, because of their weight, are also going in a hard case. Clothes, toys, diapers, and camping gear can go in duffle bags or suitcases. For the most part, they can go on the second layer of cargo.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#269974 - 05/15/14 10:23 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Mark_R]
sodak Offline
Addict

Tony Nester also covers this well in his book, Surviving a Disaster. Very detailed plans in there.

#269976 - 05/15/14 10:49 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
A while back REI had their brand duffels on sale for some % off, I picked up a few for just this application....but the final decision on how many and what size needs to be made based on specifically what is being packed and vehicle constraints

Everest also makes a couple of mildly mitigated bloody great sack duffles that are in the 12-15 gallon range. For a budget brand, they get surprisingly good reviews.

As far as what need what:
Religica and heirlooms, electronics, documents, etc. all need hard case protection. Food and tools, because of their weight, are also going in a hard case. Clothes, toys, diapers, and camping gear can go in duffle bags or suitcases. For the most part, they can go on the second layer of cargo.

Good plan. I may look for a low crate type container to form a layer under the duffel bags. There's room vertically for another shallow layer and below the duffels would be better as you point out. Thanks.

#269993 - 05/16/14 06:53 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Good plan. I may look for a low crate type container to form a layer under the duffel bags. There's room vertically for another shallow layer and below the duffels would be better as you point out. Thanks.

If you're looking for really low containers, the "underbed storage" containers might work. They're around 6.5" tall, but can be gotten in capacities up to 15 gallons.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270000 - 05/16/14 10:32 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Tjin]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Roofs and receivers have limited load capacity.

It depends on both the "car" and the receiver. If it's a pick-up or SUV with a body on frame and a 2" (50mm) receiver, the limiting factor will be the cargo rack.

#270024 - 05/18/14 06:52 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: UTAlumnus]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Roofs and receivers have limited load capacity.

It depends on both the "car" and the receiver. If it's a pick-up or SUV with a body on frame and a 2" (50mm) receiver, the limiting factor will be the cargo rack.

Yes, but still poses a issue with handling and fuel consumption. I'm more of the less is more approach. You can get a bigger car with more cargo capacity, but it will cost you more to run it, more to maintain it and in tight spots a small car is a lot more handier.

#270027 - 05/18/14 10:00 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Tjin]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

more to maintain it and in tight spots a small car is a lot more handier.

I've found frame based trucks / suv's cost less to maintain so the higher fuel cost evens out.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.