The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274996 - 04/27/15 09:35 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I just got an unpleasant wake up call during jury duty. Flat ground cruising does not translate to multiple flights of stairs. The three miles of street or hallway walking did not affect me the way climbing stairs did. I also discovered that I needed new shoes, and a lighter EDC if I'm only carrying on one shoulder.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#274997 - 04/27/15 10:01 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What type bag are you using for EDC? I use a backpack often on one shoulder but could easily switch to both shoulders.

#275000 - 04/28/15 06:26 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

An old business messenger bag, roughly equivalent to a California Pak Negotiator briefcase, with a memory foam seatbelt pad for the shoulder strap. Normal loadout is about 3 lbs, but with the extra stuff I was carrying (vest, water bottle, and coffee mug), it weighed closer to 6 lbs.

I'm ambivalent about backpack vs. messenger bag. A messenger is easier to wear over a coat and access the contents while wearing it, and is slightly more professional in a meeting. But, it's limited ability to carry more then a few lbs comfortably hamper it for anything other then office use.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275001 - 04/28/15 07:34 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Mark_R

I'm ambivalent about backpack vs. messenger bag.

For years I have carried a combination briefcase/backpack somewhat like this: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/everyday_bags_view_all/l/329 .

Mine works nicely works in a variety of environments. The packstraps tuck away nicely with just enough room in the pocket for survival rations (chocolate bar).

#275003 - 04/28/15 07:51 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My work is fairly casual and a backpack is fine. If I needed formal I'd find a suitable backpack in basic black wink

#275012 - 04/29/15 07:03 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Russ
My work is fairly casual and a backpack is fine. If I needed formal I'd find a suitable backpack in basic black wink

I think that's the way to go. I'm an engineer in a business casual office. I'm also the only guy left in the office who still carries their own briefcase. Everybody else carries laptop backpacks for personal bags, and a selection of padfolios/portfolios, clip boards, and writing/computation pads for business.

#279484 - 02/12/16 07:42 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1 on the fitness; regular walking, stairs and distance

#279490 - 02/12/16 10:33 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Be careful to listen to your body. I've been pushing mine a little too hard with daily hiking, and flared up a nagging knee injury because I was stubborn - and a little addicted to hiking. Denial can hurt. smirk

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279491 - 02/12/16 11:24 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
From what I have been able to determine, it is not how much you do in a day, but doing something nearly every day. In fact, it appears that the minimum is much less than we may think; that in fact, 30 minutes of "moderate" exercise 5 days a week is what will get us by. So don't train for the Olympics, and as you said, listen to your body.

#279493 - 02/13/16 02:32 AM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: TeacherRO]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Check ScotteVest products. I don't carry any bag/pack anymore. Everything I EDCing fits into the SeV vest (or SeV jacket the other time) pockets. The vest distributes the weight evenly over your shoulders, I believe, even better than a backpack. Everything is at hand, unnoticeable to me and to others, and the weight of the "bag" itself is precisely zero. The shoulder bag is plain dangerous as your spine is never straight because of the load's asymmetry. One day I looked in the mirror and noticed that one of my shoulders is higher than another. It took 5 years of special spine exercises to revert that. In the long run that may turn into other, more serious spine problems.

For the stairs - sure thing it's not translating, as there are different muscles working on ascend and especially on descent. Last weekend I've been hiking for 10.6 miles, with the 800 feet gradual climb. The way up felt like nothing at all to me, but descending back to 0 I had to use my hiking stick for every step after just 10 minutes of walking down. At some point I figured that I can walk without any pain turning back first, and looking over the shoulder, but that was not really safe on that trail. So, I had to invent a special long stride step involving the stick to speed up the descent while minimizing the pain. Fortunately it was a steeper trail (not the same as the ascending one), so it took not too much time and I was back to the parking lot shortly before dark. The GPS tracker showed my ascending trail speed at 3 mph, descending - just 1.2... Only by yesterday's evening I started to descend on the stairs normally without the severe muscle pain.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.