Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#274992 - 04/27/15 02:24 AM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: jshannon]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Death toll now around 2600, and I won't be surprised if it goes above 5,000 people by the time they check all the villages near the epicenter. It is possible that some small villages have been buried completely.

Death toll at Everest Basecamp now 18. That was a VERY big avalanche that hit the camp .... it's fortunate they don't have more casualties.

Intl. disaster units are flying to Nepal now. BUT it seems unlikely that any of these people will get out to the epicenter zone. Their efforts will be tied up trying to assist the 2.5 million people in Kathmandu.

The overall response seems small - compared to the size and complexity of the disaster.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/aftershocks-hit-nepal-as-death-toll-rises-above-2500-after-quake/682219/

Pete

Edited by Pete (04/27/15 02:25 AM)

#274994 - 04/27/15 02:45 PM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: Pete]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Facebook activates "Safety Check". For those who have or can get to internet connection (even briefly), this seems like a useful feature. I've often pondered that were a major quake to occur in Alaska, how I might notify my family outside that I was safe?
Quote:
On Saturday afternoon, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced on his timeline that the notifications came from Safety Check, a service the company launched last fall. "When disasters happen, people need to know their loved ones are safe," he wrote, "It's moments like this that being able to connect really matters."

When activated, Safety Check locates Facebook users near a disaster site through the city they list on their profile, or from where they last used the Internet. Users then receive a notification asking to confirm that they're safe or to say that they weren't in the affected area. Those who choose "safe" generate a notification to their friends and followers, who can track how many of their friends were affected.

One hopes that in the event of a major disaster in the first world, that organizations such as the Red Cross would establish internet connections in their emergency shelters just so people could pass brief messages via Facebook or other means.

#274998 - 04/28/15 01:54 PM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: jshannon]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"One hopes that in the event of a major disaster in the first world, that organizations such as the Red Cross would establish internet connections in their emergency shelters just so people could pass brief messages via Facebook or other means."

that's actually an excellent idea. But I doubt that the Red Cross has that kind of comms equipment, or the budget to make it happen. It's really the kind of thing that the NSA should consider doing for Americans - they are the folks with the brilliant communications systems. YES, the good-old-NSA who gets all the bad press. But WHAT IF, they decided to do something nice???

Pete

#274999 - 04/28/15 05:29 PM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
That is a wonderful idea, but it appears that the #1 priority in Nepal right now is decent drinking water. With the advent of monsoon rains, sanitation and protection from mosquito borne illness will be a significant public health issue. Status updates to relatives are a bit further down the list.

What can we learn from all of this? Tectonic forces are inexorable, and if you live where they can affect you, prepare! Even in the best of circumstances, organized relief will be many hours, if not days, away. Get ready, for your turn in the barrel is coming (at least that is my perspective from southern California).

#275002 - 04/28/15 07:46 PM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: Pete]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Pete
"One hopes that in the event of a major disaster in the first world, that organizations such as the Red Cross would establish internet connections in their emergency shelters just so people could pass brief messages via Facebook or other means."

In the USA ham radio operators are trained and prepared to work with disaster agencies to get information where it needs to go. Health and welfare information from people in the affected area is handled at a higher priority than routine traffic. We practice message handling of this nature constantly.

In addition to amateur radio organizations like ARES/RACES serving other agencies, I understand that the American Red Cross has its own communications, including hams who volunteer with them.

#275004 - 04/29/15 08:04 AM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: jshannon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

#275005 - 04/29/15 08:11 AM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: chaosmagnet]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
We have the same in the UK:

RAYNET Introduction

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

In the USA ham radio operators are trained and prepared to work with disaster agencies to get information where it needs to go. Health and welfare information from people in the affected area is handled at a higher priority than routine traffic. We practice message handling of this nature constantly.

In addition to amateur radio organizations like ARES/RACES serving other agencies, I understand that the American Red Cross has its own communications, including hams who volunteer with them.

#275007 - 04/29/15 02:42 PM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: jshannon]
Pete Offline
Veteran

hikermor

the BEST outfit that I have seen for water problems ... the military from Austria. YES - Austria. I know, I know. Nobody knows about them!!

Austria (not Australia) has a special military unit that assists with disasters. They are trained and well equipped for disaster support. Especially for purifying water and providing clean drinking water. Their team is AWESOME at this job.

I saw them in 2002 in Africa. I HOPE that they are still doing this. I HOPE that they are on the way to Kathmandu.

The world needs more specialized military units like this. It makes a tremendous difference when people contribute in this way!

Pete

#275009 - 04/29/15 04:36 PM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Here is an interesting article on high tech, real time mapping to aid relief efforts: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-04/28/mapping-nepal-after-the-earthquake

#275058 - 05/05/15 12:57 AM Re: Nepal Earthquake [Re: hikermor]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Thought provoking piece on use of UAVs in disaster response.
The video imbedded is as sad as the music is beautiful.

UAVs in disasters

Applications for personal situational awareness may be worth considering.

The videographers other entries on his web site are a hoot.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.