Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#274975 - 04/25/15 10:51 PM Re: 1971 San Fernando, CA (Sylmar) Earthquake [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Pete

Unfortunately the PEOPLE living here in L.A. are at an all-time LOW with regards to earthquake preparation. The fact that we have gone 21 years since the Northridge quake has lulled everyone into false security. Very few people have enough water to last more than a couple of days.

Really? Is the glass half empty or half full? While I certainly don't want to claim that SoCal if "fully prepared," there are hopeful signs - the development of CERT, the development of regular EQ awareness events,some enhancement in building codes (although this is far from perfect), and the development and distribution of hazard maps. The mayor is pushing hard for infrastructure improvements which seems like a no-brainer.

EQ preps are interesting. You are getting ready for an event which may never occur in your lifetime,and yet you stockpile stuff and adopt a series of habits which will be useful if it starts shaking. And then you get on with life

Those of us on the Pacific Plate are moving past the NA plate about as fast as fingernails grow,and yes,stress is increasing. When and where this stress will release is anybody's guess. A great deal of the time it occurs on a fault not previously recognized (like Northridge)

One last encouraging note. When Northridge struck, I was on San Miguel Island(the westernmost of the Channel Islands). When Loma Prieta struck, I was again on San Miguel island. That's a 100%, perfect correlation. You will be happy to know I have no plans to visit San Miguel Island in the future,and, if I do go there, I will announce it in advance. That's the least I can do....

#274976 - 04/26/15 02:02 AM Re: 1971 San Fernando, CA (Sylmar) Earthquake [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

It does seem that the area governments are better prepared than ever (but have a lot further to go, especially in regard to dealing with the structural inadequacies of older buildings).

I don't know that the public is less prepared than ever, maybe they are I don't know, but I'd bet that most individuals will find themselves woefully unprepared for a major disaster.

That just seems to be human nature.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.