Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#279570 - 02/18/16 01:40 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: acropolis5]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
I'm a bit of an over exerciser. I recently injured my labrum doing elevated bench flys with two 40lb.s barbells. Stupid and unnecessary at age 66. But I've been an addicted walker for decades. I recently met a 70 year old retired physician. We were introduced by a mutual friend who knew we'd go well together as , "crazy old walkers".

Now I'm a decent walker, but old Doc has me panting. I walk with him from his home on the NJ side of the George Washington Bridge ( some good size hills in that portion), across to Manhattan, descend ~ 350' to the Hudson River coast path. South from 181st to 145th Street, to the top, ~50' ( 5 sets of stairs) to Riverbank Park, once around the Park and back to point of beginning, just about 11 miles.

Our best time is 3 hours flat. But we average between 3:15-3:30hr.s. The ascent/ descent from bridge to river is ~1/8 mi., STEEP, Doc is about 6'2". I'm 5'7" ( early in the morning, before my back compresses). His stride is so long that I have to shorten mine and take about 3 strides to match 2 of his. On a hot day, it's a b****! Nap time and a quart or two of water thereafter . But, all in all, not bad for two " crazy old walkers".

I hope I'm still going hard like that when I'm 66. Very inspiring!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279606 - 02/19/16 02:27 AM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: bacpacjac]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Bacpacjac: Thanx for the encouraging compliment. I've always enjoyed your practical survival strategies, especially the urban survival planning . Your wry, self- depricating humor is also a hoot.

#279617 - 02/20/16 05:14 AM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: acropolis5]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Ahhh a gym rat. I highly recommend the book Practical Programming which is of value to anyone from a professional athlete to us 60's-70's- 80's types. It is a no BS book - compound lifts for overall body strength as the basis for everything. Find it on amazon and read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Programm...4471&sr=1-2

I am using a modified Texas Method program. The book actually convinced me to go back to doing back squats. You can find the author's website here - startingstrength.com. I am an ex-rugby player. My son is a scholarship college track thrower - javelin and shotput - and he uses material from the book. His training goals are different from mine - I just want to be able to get off the toilet without assistance when I'm 80 - in 16 years. If you are doing 1 - 2 hour gym workouts several times a week these programs are right in your wheelhouse. Do you use any online websites to track your workouts?

#279620 - 02/20/16 01:00 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: acropolis5]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Ahhh. Thanks Acropolis. That is so kind of you to say.

Kudos goes to everyone here at ETS, because I was a total mess when I started lurking here, trying to figure out how to "get prepared". I could easily have slipped over the edge into crazy mama survivalist were it not for the wise minds around this group. I've learned so much from this group, not the least of which has been to try to keep it realistic. Thanks everyone!!

Speaking of realism and long walks. My son and I were at the Y the other night and he asked me to run the track with him. I passed because of my knee and the fact that I am not a runner. He did six miles. Easy. Refused to stretch afterwards and had very little pain the next day. Now I really feel old. LOL!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279622 - 02/20/16 02:19 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"Speaking of realism and long walks. My son and I were at the Y the other night and he asked me to run the track with him. I passed because of my knee and the fact that I am not a runner. He did six miles. Easy. Refused to stretch afterwards and had very little pain the next day. Now I really feel old. LOL!"

Yes, I can remember what those days were like, but my knees tell me things are different now. At least I can still bicycle easily...Tell your son to keep it up and enjoy running to the utmost.

"Youth is such a wonderful thing. What shame to waste it on the young."

#279624 - 02/20/16 03:32 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: hikermor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: hikermor
. . . snip. . . but my knees tell me things are different now. . . .snip. . .

Yeah, knees. frown

This is why my nephew got me into Nordic Walking (with the Nordic walking poles) about 2 years ago. No more impact than regular walking, but the aerobic & caloric impact is 50% or more than simple walking at the same speed & distance. It really has made a big and positive difference for me. I would recommend it for anyone who is walking with knees. . . wink

#279625 - 02/20/16 04:11 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There are many ways to stay in shape -- some better than others, some more convenient. Lately I find myself walking to the gym (another gym rat here) which for some my age would be a work-out all by itself. Once at the gym I hit the weights either legs or upper body. Walking to the gym to work legs may seem redundant, but walking and lifting (heavy) are way different. Squats (mentioned above) are part of leg day but it is a full body exercise.
Quote:
...the squat is a compound, full body exercise that trains primarily the muscles of the thighs, hips and buttocks, quadriceps (vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, vastus intermedius and rectus femoris), hamstrings, as well as strengthening the bones, ligaments and insertion of the tendons throughout the lower body. Squats are considered a vital exercise for increasing the strength and size of the legs and buttocks, as well as developing core strength. Isometrically, the lower back, the upper back, the abdominals, the trunk muscles, the costal muscles, and the shoulders and arms are all essential to the exercise and thus are trained when squatting with the proper form.[1] ...
Proper form is key when weight lifting -- primarily because bad form leads to injuries. Keep the weight down until you master the correct form.
(For those who need to train their heart, when I get to the heavier sets, my heart-rate will go above my theoretical max (220-"your age"). Put another way, my chronological age is more than a couple years older than physiological. I'd bet that many in this forum are the same; if you stay in shape some of those theoretical numbers are meaningless.) Back to leg day -- the walk home is in some ways harder even though it's mostly downhill.
CoQ10 anyone? Yeah, daily LOL

On other days I work upper body, lots of different exercises there, if you pull, don't forget to also push -- meaning, if you do curls to work your biceps, don't forget to also work your triceps. I prefer compound exercises though, Lots of different muscles working together to move weight one direction or the other, the way they work in real life. There's more control in the gym though; it's safer than real life if you watch form.

FWIW, YMMV

#279647 - 02/22/16 02:28 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Your post is a good reminder for me. I have no trouble maintaining cardiovascular fitness - lots of hiking and cycling, but I tend to slack off on the weights, which are well known to be important to well rounded fitness.

#279650 - 02/22/16 05:56 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
We (at least this guy) are discussing weight training as opposed to competitive weight lifting. Way back I dabbled in both Power Lifting and Olympic Lifting competition and it's very different from weight training -- one repetition per set versus ten of more. Then there was a period in my life where I took the other path and was strictly running, swimming or biking. When I hit the weights again I realized my loss. I could not lift weights that at one time I used as part of my warm-up; I'll never lift at that level again, but part of that is the decades between then and now.

As for squats I cannot overemphasize the part in the quote above which states:
Quote:
"Isometrically, the lower back, the upper back, the abdominals, the trunk muscles, the costal muscles."
IME the muscles along the spine are there to protect the spine. The spine needs to stay more or less upright and should not bend over. You can lift a lot more in the gym than you can in real life simply because it's safer and you can concentrate on form. Keep your head up and your back straight.

The squat is a great exercise but face it, your back is central to the exercise. Done properly with an appropriate amount of weight, it's safe. Improperly and you can wake up the next day with excessive lower back pain and stiffness. (Ibuprofen won't fix it.) Start light, concentrate on form and work up to a level that is still safe. These days I won't lift weights if I can't do at least 10 reps per set. The only muscle I've ever pulled lifting was an Intercostal (it only hurt when I breathed), injured while doing cleans (the first part of the clean and jerk.) The clean itself is another great exercise, but much more dynamic than a squat. One more exercise I no longer engage in...

If you are fortunate to have a gym nearby where serious lifters hang-out they will usually be more than happy to assist and check your form, they've all been there. Funny, I was watching one of the "trainers" at the gym I use and it was like he read a book about Olympic lifting and was giving it a go. Olympic lifting is very dynamic and form is critical to avoid injury. What I saw was a very strong power lifter doing Olympic lifts using brute force rather than good form and technique. He'd have hurt himself if he hadn't been in very good shape. He didn't want any advice on form. No loss.

#279652 - 02/22/16 06:16 PM Re: 10 mile walk [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Squats seem like a good exercise. Are thee any alternatives when you are plagued with arthritic knees?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.