Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#274931 - 04/22/15 04:26 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Also, clean out the extra stuff in there you don't need. Keep less used stuff in your bag or car -- loyalty cards, for instance

#274932 - 04/22/15 10:50 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
My wife's wallet had been stolen from her car (she forgot to lock it) recently. I have blocked all three cards in about 10 minutes, but the thief managed to use Visa at the gas station for $60 (he has probably successfully guessed the zip code of the nearby city she was from, or may be knew it already as the license plate's frame on that car is still holding the Albany Subaru dealership phone and name; I must remove that, I guess). Then, I have filed the police report over the phone, with no expectation of any help, but I knew it's important to the legal protocol. And finally, I made a DMV request for stolen card online. Next day my DW got a temporary licence slip at the local office after a couple hours in the line. Replacement cards arrived within a week.

I'm personally just don't carry a _real_ wallet. My SeV Vest has 28 pockets for everything when traveling/lurking around, including a hidden pocket for a spare ATM card with photo (BofA) - OK as an ID in most of the places. My office EDC business suit jacket, on other hand, has a special inconspicuous pocket for credit/business cards. In case of a robbery I plan to give up the pouch with almost empty (but current) credit union card and my emergency bus money ($20 + $4.50) smile Also I have images of all of my (and my DW and DS) papers and cards on my phone, so I can close stolen cards right away. The phone is self-locking with a password when I'm out of reach of home/work WiFi hot spots, plus I have a copy on a microSD card, which is in the USB/OTG reader on my key chain (I can use it on a computer or on other smartphone).

In the car I have a $50 visa gift card stashed in some random papers in the glove box. The card is better than cash, because some gas stations work in automatic mode only at night (no cashier on duty). I had a situation once, when I forgot my mighty vest with everything in its pockets at home (took the older one, which is identical, but empty, just by mistake), and had been happily solo driving for about 3/4 of the tank before decided to fill up. I've stopped at some rural gas station a bit too late for a graceful return straight back home (if that would be at least 40-50% of the tank left - I would do just that, as I know from practice that the consumption is noticeably less with a 50% lighter tank). The young man at the gas station was kind enough to agree to enter my credit card number into the cashier machine (as they usually do if the magnetic stripe does not work - that was my arguments point) using the card's image from my phone, but I gave him too much time to think, while being looking for that image location on my new phone, so meanwhile he has called his manager, and she has stopped the "transaction" smile Thanks to a nice homeless local Samaritan lady, who gave me, a stranger $10. That was exactly what got me out of trouble and back home. I consider that a pay back for helping one poor guy refueling his truck at another semi-rural gas station some years ago. I have filled his jerrycan for about the same amount once.

Also, I usually have a $100 bill crumpled in a small "bullet", wrapped in the foil, and tamped into the tiny aluminum screw top pills fob on my key chain (but don't tell anyone!).

I wish to have an RFID chip in the palm's skin of my hand, and at least a country wide infrastructure to use it everywhere as a final point of ID and the payment authorization. Freaky, but truly an ultimate solution smile

#274933 - 04/22/15 11:03 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One thing I never understood is why people leave wallets in their car.

I carry a spare wallet in my BoB. I have two credit card accounts at two different banks, one in each wallet with some cash in each. Only thing that can't be easily duplicated is ID, though some have suggested going to the DMV and paying for a replacement license due to loss so I could have a spare but I imagine that may not work long term.

#274934 - 04/22/15 11:38 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My wallet is always, without exception, in one of three places: my hands, my dresser, or my right front pocket. I ratchet up my situational awareness when it comes out of my pocket, especially in crowded areas. I had my pocket picked about thirty years ago and there was nothing in it of consequence. Since then I've had one pickpocket try me, but it didn't end so well for him. I'm sure his wrist was sore for a while.

#274937 - 04/23/15 12:49 AM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: Eugene]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:

I know a guy that does that. It's from where he has a relatively thick wallet and carries it in his rear pocket. It can get to be uncomfortable sitting on it for a long time and he has an hour commute to the office.

#274938 - 04/23/15 05:47 AM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: Eugene]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Eugene

In that particular case she went for jogging in the park, so she left everything in the car, under the top clothes pile. The thief also took one of my car BOBs from the trunk, but fortunately the most crucial (and expensive) stuff was in the second cheap looking duffel bag, which is extremely heavy and awkward to move out. So, I lost only some storm weather clothes/footwear and the small backpack.

#275076 - 05/07/15 06:06 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Last week, while I was on business in New York City, my wallet was stolen. It was under 30 seconds of poor "situational awareness" on my part while paying for parking at an indoor garage, and it was gone.

I know exactly who did it, I know how they did it, and when the police arrived, they told me there was nothing I could do about it and it's not even worth filing a report. That's all I'm going to say about HOW the wallet was stolen. It can happen to you.

Some considerations come to mind regarding the filing of a police report:

-Police reports of classified crimes are what are used to create crime statistics, which are used to determine the amount of resources needed to address crime.

-In CA, but unknown regarding NY, if the wallet (or any item) was taken from your pocket, your hand (your "person"), or even if it was somewhere away from you and contained more than $400, it would be a felony. Even if it was not recovered, that is another felony stat to show what crimes are occurring and need to be addressed.

-Again in CA, if you filed a report and items taken included identifying info such as credit cards and drivers license, and a person is found to possess any of the items that can be identified, they can be charged with a felony. Even if it cannot be proven that they stole the property, they are in possession of stolen property. That discovery is very useful and usually leads to evidence of other crimes. Taking a criminal off the street prevents others from suffering the same crimes.

I can see a situation where you may opt not to report, but I'm not understanding it here.

#275077 - 05/07/15 06:15 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I would file a police report. If the guy uses my credit cards or does anything else with my identity, a police report is my strongest proof that it wasn't me.

#275079 - 05/07/15 06:40 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I would file a police report. If the guy uses my credit cards or does anything else with my identity, a police report is my strongest proof that it wasn't me.

This is really important if the loss of the wallet turns into any "new account" identity theft, which is much harder to deal with than when the identity thief exploits existing accounts.

As a rule I always file the police report.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.