Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#272873 - 11/15/14 11:16 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: jshannon]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: jshannon
Agree with filing a police report. My entire luggage and wallet were stolen and the police report was needed to file an insurance claim. My $60 cash in wallet was part of that. I filed a claim for around $700 and had to replace apartment key, credit cards, drivers license, etc. Luckily I had a second car key at home. We were in a rental on the snowshoe trip to Taos, NM.

If it was more than my wallet, I would have done the report. My total cost to replace the wallet and everything in it was less than $100, it's hardly worth the effort.

#272876 - 11/16/14 02:31 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Protip: Never use a debit card for anything but as your ATM card (if that's how your bank doe it).

Debit cards are evil. With them you are guilty until proven innocent, and nearly entirely based upon the mercy of the issuer.

When my bank changed from ATM card to debit cards, I insisted that they deactivate the debit function.

#272877 - 11/16/14 03:37 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
... When my bank changed from ATM card to debit cards, I insisted that they deactivate the debit function.
That is a great idea. I only use mine as an ATM card so I'll lose nothing by disabling the debit card function. Thanks.

#272878 - 11/16/14 03:46 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: chaosmagnet]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Protip: Never use a debit card for anything but as your ATM card (if that's how your bank doe it).

Debit cards are evil. With them you are guilty until proven innocent, and nearly entirely based upon the mercy of the issuer.

When my bank changed from ATM card to debit cards, I insisted that they deactivate the debit function.

Excellent advice! You have many more protections with a credit card. We use a credit card for all purchases, and pay the bill off in full when it comes in. In theory, with a debt card you only spend what you have in your account, but in practice, many many people overdraw and incur overdraft fees. Now, you have the option to opt out of the bank overdrawing your account, but that can leave you without the ability to use your card for anything---just like as if you were totally out of cash. Murphy's law says this will happen at the worst possible time.

The biggest criticism we hear about our use of the credit card is that it is too much of a temptation to "overspend" and "run up debt." The cure for this is self discipline and knowing what you have to spend, or, maybe, "financial situational awareness."

#272948 - 11/20/14 04:24 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
You'll need to check with your insurance agent/company to be sure, but, depending on the type of homeowners or renters policy you have, and the state you are in, you may have coverage for stolen cash in your wallet (in kentucky there is coverage up to the amount of $200, this is the minimum amount on any broad form contents coverage, such as a homeoners or renters policy, and some companies will bump it up to add increased value to the homeowner's policy).

Now, that said, most folks have a $500 deductible, and if it was not an undue financial burden do you really want to file a small claim like that and maybe have your rate go up at the renewal because of it? My parents got into trouble on their homeowners policy before because they filed several small claims they really shouldn't have, then when they really needed it on some larger claims they were nearly cancelled due to filing too many claims.

#274924 - 04/21/15 12:51 AM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

cash in my keychain capsule

#274927 - 04/21/15 03:24 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

What a hassle but you certainly were better prepared for it (copies of the cards, ID) than most people.

I keep $100 in small bills hidden in my car.

#274928 - 04/22/15 02:36 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I'd like to know exactly how Martin's wallet was stolen too.

I had a moment of panic 2 months ago when I left my wallet in the local supermarket. But fortunately they were honest, and they kept it for me the next day.

Martin's PRIMARY point is excellent ... a wallet is a "single point of failure". That's a great insight, and I will change that situation this week! Thanks Martin!!

Pete

Edited by Pete (04/22/15 02:37 PM)

#274929 - 04/22/15 02:39 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"If it was more than my wallet, I would have done the report. My total cost to replace the wallet and everything in it was less than $100, it's hardly worth the effort."

You're LUCKY. Here in California you would need to stand in line at the DMV for 4 hours, just to replace your drivers license. It would probably take a month to replace ALL the stuff in my wallet.

The lost time and energy, and the increased STRESS, would be a major problem.

Pete

#274930 - 04/22/15 02:45 PM Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I shudder to think of what it would cost me in time to replace several concealed carry permits and my passport card. My driver's license would be the easiest one of the bunch.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.