Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274420 - 03/04/15 03:59 AM Minimalist kit?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
A bit cliché, but I tried to come up with a list of items I could stuff in a bottle that I would really like to have with me in a wilderness survival setting.

1. wide mouth Nalgene bottle
2. sawyer portable water filter
3. turbo type bic lighter wrapped in 3 feet of duct tape
4. tongue depressor wrapped with 5 feet of electrical tape, 4 feet of duct tape, and 30 feet of 100+ lb test Dacron fishing line.
5. 4 10p nails
6. Micron flashlight
7. 4 packets instant coffee
8. Leatherman Wave
9. Contractor grade garbage bag
10. Cup that fits on the end of the bottle
11. 4 zip fizz plastic vials, one full of ibuprofen, one full of multivitamins, one full of Benadryl caplets, and one full of paraffin/Vaseline cotton balls
12. 6 ounces of pemmican triple wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil.
13. Fox Micro whistle

All of this will fit in the Nalgene bottle, except the cup that goes on the outside (maintains volume and form factor). Basically it was everything I could think to stuff in the bottle. This list completely discounts any other edc, so it is likely that many of these things would already be on my person anyways. But my intent is to list items I would really want to have with me (besides clothing) to get by for a reasonable amount of time. One item not on the list of course is a gun, which is a high priority for me. But mine would not fit in the bottle anyways.

#274421 - 03/04/15 06:24 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Ben,
Consider replacing the 10p nails with double-headed framing nails. Perhaps they offer a little more capability. Maybe.

My $.02

#274422 - 03/04/15 07:12 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just at the first glance, what I would do with that list:
1. I'd replace with exact same shape (or close) stainless steel wide mouth bottle. More versatile (e.g. boiling) and sturdy.
2. Ok +wrapped in its stock collapsible bottle (almost same space as without it).
3. Skip "Turbo" and "Piezo", higher gas consumption, prone to leaking, bad at high altitude, not a flashlight replacement, piezo - useless when empty.
4. Replace electrical tape with gorilla tape (don't see any special benefit of ET over it). Tongue depressor? Replace with the piece of hack saw blade wrapped in a layer of cardboard (like in a sheath).
5. Replace nails with long screw anchors (you can hammer them in or over if necessary). You have Wave to work with them naturally.
6. Which Micron is that? For a bottle, I'd opt for a Petzl like headlamp. Easily removable battery - mandatory for EMDI (see below).
7. Addiction? Maybe some caffeine pills? Or just comforting?
8. Yeah! That's on my belt right now.
9. Two, so yo could hide inside, double it for insulation, or sacrifice one for cuts.
10. Maybe. Maybe the steel bottle is enough?
11. +Individual needs. Also, I had an idea to keep tabs in the nitrile gloves' fingers instead of zip locks, as later are useless. Fire tabs? Magnesium block with flint - much more effective, versatile, and compact (but prob. heavier).
12. Personal choice of supperfood. Foil minimum - a piece large enough to wrap entire head down to the neck (no joking, like for a foil hat - enough space for improvisations).
13. Ok. Add neck size lanyard?
14. +Scalpel blade for fine/sterile work.
15. +4' of SS wire #16-12, best if in a plastic tubing insulation (just a hunk, hard to wrap). From lock pics to electromagnetic devices improvisation (EMDI)).
16. +Coin type neodymium magnet, preferably with the center hole (small parts picker, compass improvisation, EMDI).
17. +Pencil (better - large constructor's type, for regular use, wood, and EMDI).
18. +Fresnel lens.
19. +Sewing needles.
20. +Kevlar sewing thread.
21. +For a 4-eyed. Spare glasses or just a lens from an old prescribed pair.
22. Alaska? May be +some insect wipes.

What gun do you carry? I've got Rugger .357 4" (not EDC, unfortunately).

Edited by Alex (03/04/15 07:25 AM)

#274423 - 03/04/15 01:23 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
That's a heavy bottle and won't fit in a pocket. Just an observation ...

#274424 - 03/04/15 01:32 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Coin-cell flashlights are in my mind only for the shortest duration emergencies. For a bit more weight and volume you could carry a 1xAAA flashlight and have significantly better performance.

#274425 - 03/04/15 03:16 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would sneak in a small signal mirror and some small cordage. I have obtained a replacement cap for a Nalgene that incorporates a compass - cheap, but mine still works.Fold and wrap a map around the exterior in between the cup and the Nalgene -perhaps you could wiggle it into the interior as an alternative...I would put in a Tanka bar, not just jerky...

Bread crumbs for marking the trail?

#274426 - 03/04/15 03:41 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
First thoughts,

I question the inclusion of a Leatherman in this kit. I love the LM but if you are in the wilderness and this is your only kit, most of the tools are not very useful since you don't have anything to fix. For wilderness use a fixed blade knife will allow you to do more than the folding blade.

I also think you need to include something to carry all the stuff in when you fill the bottle with water.

Since fire is one of the highest priorities, a second device is a good idea, particularly if you choose a Bic for the primary. The Bic is very reliable, but they do fail.

I would use a bivi bag or blanket (AMK or similar) instead of a garbage bag. The reflective capability is great if you have a fire.

I too would recommend a flashlight with larger batteries. A light with AA or AAA would provide much better capabilities at little increase in volume or weight. I also would go for a headlamp.

Where you might be out, I highly agree with Alex that bug wipes or a headnet would be critical.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#274427 - 03/04/15 04:20 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: Alex]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Good adds/changes. I usually carry a Glock 22, occasionally a Taurus 445. If I am on expedition, it is a Ruger Super Redhawk.

I love threads like this. It is a great refresher for my thinking.

With the tongue depressor, the idea was to have duct tape (or gorilla tape) on one end, the Dacron line in the middle, and the electrical tape on the other end. Sometimes Gorilla tape is too much of a good thing. Having both gives me more options. Using a regular bic lighter with cold hands in windy environment proved more difficult than the turbo ones. I upgraded my edc this winter due to that problem up on slope. The regular bic just wasn't working for me. YMMV.

Many of the things I use my Leatherman Wave for work in any scenario. A larger, stouter fixed blade will work for some of the harder cutting chores of a wilderness environment. Ultimately, I would like to have both. If I had to pick one over the other, I would still take the Leatherman. Just my experience.

#274428 - 03/04/15 05:02 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Many of the things I use my Leatherman Wave for work in any scenario. A larger, stouter fixed blade will work for some of the harder cutting chores of a wilderness environment. Ultimately, I would like to have both. If I had to pick one over the other, I would still take the Leatherman. Just my experience.

I have been looking for a robust heavy duty folding knife in the last few weeks. Ended up getting a Boker Vox F3.. (5mm thick S30V blade should be pretty robust)

http://www.gpknives.com/bokerplus01bo333voxf3tiframelock.html

#274429 - 03/04/15 05:13 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: JerryFountain]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
I question the inclusion of a Leatherman in this kit. I love the LM but if you are in the wilderness and this is your only kit, most of the tools are not very useful since you don't have anything to fix. For wilderness use a fixed blade knife will allow you to do more than the folding blade.

I love Leatherman multis and find myself using them in the wilderness regularly, but I agree with JerryFountain here. A fixed blade if possible, a strong locking folder otherwise, and a Leatherman as a third option.

Quote:
Since fire is one of the highest priorities, a second device is a good idea, particularly if you choose a Bic for the primary. The Bic is very reliable, but they do fail.

Strongly agreed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.