The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#274868 - 04/15/15 12:08 PM Re: Cascadia fault locked up [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Just off the PNW coast a few... okay maybe more than a few miles, the ocean is heating up and it seems very localized, not GW, A 1,000 Mile Stretch Of The Pacific Ocea... Don’t Know Why
Quote:
...This warm blob, which is about 2 to 7 degrees Fahrenheit (1 to 4 degrees Celsius) warmer than the usual temperature for this region, means the winter air that crosses over the Pacific Ocean wasn’t cooled as much as it normally would be. That, in turn, spelled warmer, dryer conditions for the West Coast. ...

If the source of the extra heat is not solar activity which wouldn't cause such a local phenomena, maybe it's volcanic. If it's volcanic, maybe it's tied to the fault lock.

Dunno.

#274869 - 04/15/15 03:09 PM Re: Cascadia fault locked up [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Russ
If the source of the extra heat is not solar activity which wouldn't cause such a local phenomena, maybe it's volcanic. If it's volcanic, maybe it's tied to the fault lock.
Actually the "blob" of warm water is due to the persistent ridge of high pressure that has lingered off the W coast. The high pressure ridge is in turn a result of warm water in the tropics. See Cliff Mass's Weatther Blog.

#274870 - 04/15/15 03:38 PM Re: Cascadia fault locked up [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Interesting weather blog and the explanation makes sense. I kinda liked the unsubstantiated theory that the blob was linked to the fault lock. Now I read the whole thing is just a weather event. The cause and effect aspect of the article is very interesting, with the blob being a result of the weather pattern rather than the cause.

Another theory I've heard is that it is caused by HAARP and is intended to cause water utility companies to sell out so that ... never mind. I've never bought into HAARP being the cause of all things unexplained. I'm not sure HAARP is responsible for anything.

#274874 - 04/16/15 01:51 AM Re: Cascadia fault locked up [Re: Arney]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

My theory is that the warm blob is at a portal where kaiju will come through.

#274880 - 04/17/15 01:32 PM Re: Cascadia fault locked up [Re: Arney]
Pete Offline
Veteran

There was a STUDY just published that looked at the emergency response in Oregon and the State of Washington. I think they identified about 40-50 towns and communities that are at immediate risk of a large tsunami, in the event of an earthquake (magnitude 8-9) on the Cascadia fault. The RESULT of the study is this - IF EVERYONE starts walking towards high ground immediately after the earthquake happens, then no-one should be killed by the tsunami. In other words, all these people are close enough to a large hill that they CAN make it ... provided that they get moving immediately.

I think the study said that there are about 95,000 people "at risk" from the tsunami wave - if it happens. Geologists seem to be very confident that the tsunami WILL happen.

The only real problem with the study, is that all these towns are going to get hit by a quake with magnitude 8-9. It will probably collapse a lot of buildings and generate a lot of chaos. So it's not obvious that everyone will start walking, immediately after that quake hits the area.

Pete

#274898 - 04/17/15 08:08 PM Re: Cascadia fault locked up [Re: Arney]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Pete -- a former Oregonian (Mt. Hood) whose favorite vacation destination was Cannon Beach, Oregon, the Cascadia Subduction Zone - a relatively recent discovery - fascinates me.

The Oregon coast was my family's frequent vacation spot in the 1970s-80s and I went to school (Oregon State) an hour away from Newport. Have spent countless hours/ days/ weeks strolling and laying on those beaches -- oblivious, as were most scientists, to any lurking geologic threat. If I had felt a tremor or even a significant quake motion while on the beach, it would not have occurred to me that a tsunami could be forthcoming. I had my last long vacation there in the early-2000s and still had no awareness of the threat -- while relishing my ocean-front suite on the ground floor.

Since the Indonesia tsunami disaster of 2004 and Japan's devastating tsunami in 2011, the parallels to the CSZ have received a great deal more attention in the Pacific Northwest, and elsewhere. If I were on that beach today I would be keenly mindful that any tremor requires an immediate response to head for the hills as fast as possible. I think many people -- at least residents of the Pacific Northwest -- are mindful of the threat these days. And they have tsunami signage now. Still, anyone would be frozen in place for seconds if not minutes while their brain processes what's happening.

And I worry that 15 minutes is not enough time to gain much elevation. Cannon Beach is a very big expanse of sand. Hopefully people could have closer to 30 minutes from the shaking to the tsunami. The feeble and unfit would be doomed without assistance. Reminds me of a woman who sloooowly waddled into Costco in front of me this week -- she'd need a Humvee to get from the beach to the hill in 15 minutes.

The worst scenario -- 9.0 quake that would last several minutes -- is impossible to fathom. Much of the coast could be cut off from inland -- there are so many vulnerable bridges and not many roads east. The relief efforts would have to eclipse anything we've seen in this country before.

Hope it never happens, but there is certainty now that it is only a question of when.

Cannon Bean on Google Map:

https://goo.gl/maps/HRTzn

Whenever my sister goes to the coast these days, I do my best mom imitation and remind her of the tsunami threat. Thanks to ETS, she has a small survival kit in her car that I put together for her a few years ago.

I just looked at that map again. We used to walk that beach for miles, day and night. Nowadays I'd be wearing at least a small backpack on that walk....

#274900 - 04/17/15 09:31 PM Re: Cascadia fault locked up [Re: Pete]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Pete
The RESULT of the study is this - IF EVERYONE starts walking towards high ground immediately after the earthquake happens, then no-one should be killed by the tsunami.
Pete, I think you are somewhat misunderstanding the implications of the study. It basically said that if everyone walked faster, then fewer people would die. It certainly does not say that "no-one should be killed by the tsunami."

See Don't drive, walk faster to survive Pacific coast tsunami
Quote:
Geographers estimated 21,562 residents would not make it to safety if they walk slowly -- at about 2.5 mph. But if they walk faster, at about 3.5 mph, the death toll drops to 15,970. About 70 percent of them would be in Washington, nearly 30 percent in Oregon and only 4 percent in California.

Note that in some towns in Oregon and Washington, there are large numbers of people living in areas where there is little or no safe high ground that could be walked to in the 20 minutes or so they would have to escape a tsunami from a Cascadia earthquake. There have been proposals to build berms or other structures to provide "vertical evacuation" locations in a few of these areas. However, this would be very expensive, and is still just a proposal. See 'Vertical' escape routes from a tsunami proposed on Long Beach peninsula .

#274903 - 04/17/15 09:46 PM Re: Cascadia fault locked up [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We in California could generously assist by sending our waste materials north. They will achieve the necessary elevation in no time at all. And they will have methane from decomposing waste for emergency cooking!

There is a closed waste dump in our area about a mile from the beach that is vegetated and about fifty feet high. It would serve nicely for most tsunamis....

#274908 - 04/18/15 03:59 AM Re: Cascadia fault locked up [Re: Arney]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"There have been proposals to build berms or other structures to provide "vertical evacuation" locations in a few of these areas. However, this would be very expensive, and is still just a proposal"

I didn't know that. These people need to get moving. Even if they build some platforms on steel support structures, it would help a LOT!!!

Pete

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.