Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#274882 - 04/17/15 01:50 PM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: Mark_R]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Let me go completely OFF TOPIC here.

Why exactly do you need a whistle? The chances are, if you have an emergency in an urban area, then you can just call for help. The main reason why you might not want to do that - is because SOME of the people in your area are NOT friendly. In which case, a whistle isn't much help.

A cell phone is a much better signaling device. Because you can get a message directly to people who CAN come and look for you. But the main problem with phones is that signal reception can be poor. THEREFORE, what you really need is a portable antenna for a cell phone that BOOSTS the signal strength.

It seems to me that this choice might be a LOT more useful in an urban situation. I need to do the same thing myself - get some sort of portable antenna for my cell phone.

Pete

#274884 - 04/17/15 02:09 PM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: Pete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
How is that portable antenna connected to the phone?

#274887 - 04/17/15 02:28 PM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
You can buy home and car cell phone boosters/repeaters. There are also printed antennas that are supposed to attach to the back of your phone, but they seem gimmicky.

EDIT: As previously noted, whistles are cheap insurance.

Edited by Mark_R (04/17/15 02:29 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#274888 - 04/17/15 02:54 PM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think of a whistle as something I would use in an outdoor setting, but even so, a whistle requires much less energy to activate, especially compared to shouting. If you are buried in the debris generated by an earthquake or tornado, you will probably appreciate the difference.

Just getboth a whistle and an antenna booster.Both are pretty small.

#274902 - 04/17/15 09:34 PM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: Mark_R]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Pete
Why exactly do you need a whistle?

I try to be at least somewhat equipped to survive without using electronics. A whistle is on the short list for that category of equipment. Anyway, I use a whistle regularly for biking, snowboarding, coaching, and generally getting a person's attention who is far away.

#274909 - 04/18/15 06:14 AM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: Mark_R]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I wouldn't trust the little printed antenna that goes on the back of your cell phone. Get something with a big antenna and an amp requiring a power source.

I have something made by Wilson Electronics. I don't know how good this brand is, but it has made a difference in a communication situation. However, it wasn't as big of a difference as I'd hoped. I was driving on a highway and I needed to make an urgent call. I still had to drive a bit before the signal was strong enough.

Just occurred to me: you can probably find more informed opinions on cell phone forums.

As for whistles, the Nitcore is so tiny -- smaller than a key -- there is really no reason why you shouldn't have one on your keychain, along with a keychain light like Doug Ritter's Photon. Maybe a multitool, too.

#274920 - 04/19/15 04:21 AM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: Mark_R]
Pete Offline
Veteran

YEAH I definitely need to buy a professional cell phone booster. I have had far too many problems with reception dropping out. It's worth having a good booster, because if you walk to the top of a hill, or a parking structure, you should be able to connect.

Pete

#275093 - 05/10/15 08:31 PM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: Pete]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Pete
... Why exactly do you need a whistle? The chances are, if you have an emergency in an urban area, then you can just call for help. The main reason why you might not want to do that - is because SOME of the people in your area are NOT friendly. In which case, a whistle isn't much help. ...

A whistle, in an urban setting, is a very effective signaling device. However, it is not specifically for summoning HELP, it is for summoning ATTENTION. This is why traffic cops and crossing guards routinely use them. I have effectively used a whistle in urban emergencies to stop traffic, help control crowds and to alert pedestrians to danger.

#275095 - 05/11/15 12:32 PM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: JeffMc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JeffMc
A whistle, in an urban setting, is a very effective signaling device. However, it is not specifically for summoning HELP, it is for summoning ATTENTION. This is why traffic cops and crossing guards routinely use them. I have effectively used a whistle in urban emergencies to stop traffic, help control crowds and to alert pedestrians to danger.

It's also good to cause one's free-range recombinant DNA to look around and perhaps be receptive to parental instruction.

#275097 - 05/11/15 05:03 PM Re: Flat whistles for urban kit - lightweight [Re: Mark_R]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Also, carrying both a cell phone and a whistle is not burdensome. However, not trying to brag, I can curl a 3-pound dumbbell for 5 reps easy...so yeah.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.