Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#274782 - 04/07/15 07:14 PM Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
The Washington D.C. region and the federal government are just now (Tuesday afternoon) coming out of a geographically large-scale power outage/surge that hopefully will provide some lessons to individuals and institutions. It no doubt brought 9/11 back in the minds of a lot of locals, if only for a few minutes.

Instructive that a small-scale incident in a county most DC residents don't hear about much was the instigator. The first-responders to the triggering event was a volunteer rescue squad in Charles County, Maryland (which until today I could not have confidently stated the location of).

Upon hearing on the radio about "massive area outages" I immediately plugged in my phone and laptop to charge. This spurs me to re-charge my backup portable chargers, too. Am away from my house and hoping my power stayed on (refrigerator) but am otherwise not inconvenienced as I am away from the city until tomorrow.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/07/politics/power-outage-washington-dc/

Widespread power outages sweep Washington, D.C.
By Jeremy Diamond, CNN
Updated 2:54 PM ET, Tue April 7, 2015

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/scat...ff6a_story.html

"A power surge temporarily knocked out power to the White House, State Department and wide swaths of the nation’s capital and its Maryland suburbs early Tuesday afternoon."

I received this message via the DC Alert messaging system (e-mail + text). "Pepco reports there are several power outages occuring concurrently in the DC Area. At this time the estimated time of restoration has not been determined. "

Was just the other day having a discussion with friends about why I make a point of having a cash stash -- while at home and while away -- and a full tank of gas.

"What if the power goes out?" I asked them. "We'll call you," they replied.

Hmmmm....

#274783 - 04/07/15 08:11 PM Re: Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC [Re: Dagny]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
"I know where I'm going in a crisis -- your house!"

Thanks for the reminder to get periodic maintenance done on my backup generator.

#274784 - 04/07/15 10:01 PM Re: Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC [Re: Dagny]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
This seems to be a localized issue, but still a problem if you are affected. At he moment, it appears to be the fault of a single power line failure, see:
http://liveblogwp.wtop.com/Event/Power_outages

IMO, another example of why to carry a flashlight with you at all times. . . and the other precautions Dagny mentions. . .

#274785 - 04/07/15 10:29 PM Re: Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC [Re: Dagny]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
speaking of flashlights... just added a single AA Fenix E12 to the stable, along with a 2014 single AAA Fenix E05... very happy with the performance of both.... both run on Eneloops ... pic of size difference... the three level E05 is on the key ring with older E05 above

#274786 - 04/07/15 11:39 PM Re: Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Fenix flashlights are among the many things ETS peops have hooked me on. Great value.

Smartphones have been a boon to preparedness in regard to the flashlight functions that are now standard. Will run down your phone battery but at least most people now have a flashlight in the form of their phone.

#274789 - 04/08/15 02:27 AM Re: Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I prefer to keep my cellphone battery for making calls. I EDC either a Fenix E01 or an E12. The E12 is a very good light which is useful in a variety of situations. For me the E01 is more an emergency light the primary purpose being to get to a bigger light. The E01 is in a CountyComm Zipper Key Pouch -- very handy for carrying small EDC items. I prefer a small pouch to carrying stuff on my keyring.

#274790 - 04/08/15 02:54 AM Re: Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC [Re: Russ]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the new edition of the E05 is a quantum leap up from the E01

#274791 - 04/08/15 04:09 AM Re: Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC [Re: LesSnyder]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
the new edition of the E05 is a quantum leap up from the E01

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out.

#274792 - 04/08/15 04:16 AM Re: Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC [Re: LesSnyder]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The E01 is single mode, On/Off, very simple. The new E05 is an E12 with a smaller battery, I prefer the E12. YMMV

#274795 - 04/08/15 12:12 PM Re: Power Outage Hits WH-Capitol-DC [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

More information in today's Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/scat...=pm_local_pop_b

"The outage immediately caught the attention of national security officials, who have heightened their scrutiny of vulnerabilities of the U.S. electricity grid after recent reports that nations such as China and Iran have infiltrated U.S. power company networks."

"...It disconnected the lines, power plants and generating units when it sensed a problem,” said Ray E. Dotter, a spokesman for PJM Interconnection, which coordinates the flow of electricity in 13 states and the District. Dotter said the fluctuation in the voltage probably left some in the D.C. area experiencing a power loss and others a power surge. “Those are protective measures. . . . It is easier to reset a system than replace.”

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.