The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273399 - 12/27/14 06:36 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The four things I don't seem to ever have enough of are knives, multitools, flashlights and firearms. I will thank you to not bring up my mental health status with regard to these items. I have no affiliation with any brand mentioned here other than as a customer.

Here are some of my favorite multitools, and what I like about them.

In the keyring category, it's the Leatherman PS4. It's surprising to me how well the small tools on it work, in particular the knife blade is extremely good for a multitool of this size and price. While I almost always have a full-size multitool nearby, I can keep this one with me all the time. And some tasks really do call for two pairs of pliers.

For a full-size multitool I carry a Leatherman Wave in my laptop bag. When I was a consultant I used this constantly in customer datacenters; I don't use it nearly as often now but I can't imagine doing without it. This is a pre-2004 Wave -- I like the profile of the pliers better for IT work, I don't need the larger knife blades (because I carry a locking folder), and I don't need the flexibility of the bit driver, since I carry a screwdriver with an assortment of bits.

For Extra Large sized, I go back and forth between the Leatherman Surge and Super Tool 300 (do you sense a pattern emerging?). The ST300 goes with me on CERT callouts, as I figure I'm more likely to get it wet and dirty and less likely to need a bit driver. The Surge is tougher to clean but it's more flexible as to what it can do.

What are your favorites?

I'm with you on the original Wave. My original has went back to my EDC and my new wave is in a toolkit. The original was just more useful day to day. I think Leatherman would make some sales if they would start making it again as a "Wave Classic" or something.

#273401 - 12/27/14 08:01 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: Eugene]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I'm with you on the original Wave. My original has went back to my EDC and my new wave is in a toolkit. The original was just more useful day to day. I think Leatherman would make some sales if they would start making it again as a "Wave Classic" or something.

I hope Tim Leatherman reads this because you're quite right.

The only part of the new Wave that is unequivocally better in my mind is the locking function for the inside bits. I remember reading that they went with the larger (and for me, less useful) profile for the pliers because people were sending in Waves with broken jaws, so they felt it necessary to add more metal. It's not clear to me that the broader knife blades are entirely necessary. I'm on the fence for the bit driver, I like having the flexibility but I also like the original screwdriver bits for their ability to get at recessed screws.

#273402 - 12/27/14 08:57 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
SwissTool from Victorinox for full size.
Modified MiniChamp if I need to go smaller.

#273404 - 12/28/14 12:13 AM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I'll stand up for Wave 2.0, especially for the feature that all tools lock, but either version is a very fine tool. For recessed fasteners, be sure and carry the bit extender. It will ride nicely in the tool pouch.

#273498 - 01/04/15 10:18 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: hikermor]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Most of the time I stick with my good old Leatherman Wave, which I bought sometime around 2004. It's a pretty good all-around multitool, with all the limitations of a pocket do-it-all gizmo. I also ordered the bit kit, which makes the Wave that much more useful for fixing stuff.

For small-scale work I also use a Leatherman Squirt. It's surprisingly handy when it comes to fixing electronic gadgets. Very compact but good quality.

In all honesty, I don't use my multitools nearly as much as an EDC pocket knife (Spyderco Endura for the most part) or even a SAK. In the field, what I need most of the time is a good blade. No multitool can rival a fixed blade or quality folder in that regard. But for basic repair of anything mechanical or electronic a quality multitool is very useful in a pinch.

#273502 - 01/05/15 02:26 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: hikermor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I'll stand up for Wave 2.0, especially for the feature that all tools lock, but either version is a very fine tool. For recessed fasteners, be sure and carry the bit extender. It will ride nicely in the tool pouch.

My biggest issue with the new wave is the bit(s). I can't carry a belt pouch so I just carry the wave in my pocket so I can't carry a bunch of extra bits.
Plus the scissors and file are better on my old wave. They need something that combines the best of both.

#273509 - 01/05/15 05:35 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: Eugene]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
L-tools seem to be gaining weight and bulk over the years. I still have an original PST and I would love to see that resurrected, with a locking blade as the only "improvement."

Perhaps a modular model where the user could switch out implements to match conditions would be worthwhile.

#273524 - 01/06/15 09:20 AM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I guess my overall favorite is my Leatherman Flair. It has enough tools to handle most jobs while being fairly slim and light.

#274768 - 04/05/15 04:13 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
MTs are a bit of an obsession for me. I collect rather than simply use, so I have a lot to choose from.

My brand of choice is Leatherman, although I have some Gerbers and SOGs. I want to add some Vic MTs, but haven't gotten around to justifying the cost as they are both nice and expensive.

To the point; I carry a Charge TTi as EDC, as it provides a nice assortment of tools for mechanical and outdoor use and the nicer materials make it worth the expense for me. This wins out over the 6 other Charges and two Waves I have. laugh

I used to carry a Benchmade mini-Griptilian folder, but have since gone to a Vic Tinker so the Charge blade sees a bit more use now as it's my only OHO blade.

I've considered switching up MTs any number of times for something smaller, but the thing that always brings me back to the Charge is that its belt sheath also has a space for a Fenix E01, which I cannot do without. blush

#274769 - 04/05/15 06:36 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: airballrad]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: airballrad
To the point; I carry a Charge TTi as EDC, as it provides a nice assortment of tools for mechanical and outdoor use and the nicer materials make it worth the expense for me. This wins out over the 6 other Charges and two Waves I have. laugh

For myself, I love everything about the Charge TTi except for the cap crimper -- I don't need one for anything, and I've held back on buying the TTi because I'm afraid that the cap crimper will have an impact on the utility of the pliers. Since you EDC it, I'd be very interested in your opinion on that.

Edited by chaosmagnet (04/05/15 06:37 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.