The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#274737 - 04/01/15 01:57 PM Re: How to test 72 hour/ BOB bag? [Re: Tjin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Tjin makes a good point; the purpose of a BOB (bag) is to be useful in bugging out on foot. If you can't cover ground quickly carrying all the gear you need and "might" find useful, you have a largish survival kit in backpack form, not a BOB.

The concept of a BOB (my primary intent is to bug in) that I prefer, is that it be no heavier than what you'd use as a GHB. I have lots of supplies at home, no need to carry more, so I carry just what I need for a walk home and possibly an overnight along the way. That's it.

As I envision it, a lightweight BOB allows you to move from point A (where you're bugging out from) to point B (a well stocked destination). No need to carry extraneous gear, just carry what you need. You may need to be able to move like an ultra-light hiker.

All that said, when I do need to bug out, (as I've said many times) I use a truck.

#274738 - 04/01/15 02:19 PM Re: How to test 72 hour/ BOB bag? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The best way to test a BOB is, of course, to use it. Since you presumably have a destination, follow your projected path and become familiar with it. Many internet BOBs are clearly proposed by inexperienced folks who are indulging their fantasies. They need to get out more often.

To achieve admission to the inner circle of BOBdom, join a wilderness SAR group and keep a pack ready to go at all times. Experience will hone your gear selection, which will be tweaked in accordance with the seasons and the weather.

You will also have the experience (and gratification) of helping others, something that will come in handy during an emergency.

#274739 - 04/01/15 03:30 PM Re: How to test 72 hour/ BOB bag? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I live near what Bill Hay would call Interstitial Wilderness. You always see the same folk there, usually exercising on mountain bikes, trail runs or walking the dog.

Most folk in the neighborhood never venture in and it's surrounded by suburbia. Very rarely I'll see someone with a backpack, but these are great places to test your ability to carry and use whatever kit you choose to carry. If in SOCAL, be very careful with the fire part of your kit, it's tinder dry here. Beware the snakes, that's where they hang-out. There was one guy who ran there with his dog until the coyotes tried to take the dog. Now the dog won't go in.

Still you can go from suburbia to dirt trail and back to suburbia and never lose your cell signal.

#274740 - 04/01/15 07:11 PM Re: How to test 72 hour/ BOB bag? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There is a river bottom near town which is undeveloped - five steps off the pavement and you are in a different world. But I wouldn't call it wilderness. Wilderness needs acreage. The whole point being that you can't go home and take a nice hot shower after a few hours outdoors.. That is the situation where you find out what works,and what doesn't.

#274741 - 04/01/15 08:05 PM Re: How to test 72 hour/ BOB bag? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

True, it isn't real wilderness, the interstitial adjective makes it something else. For real wilderness you need square mileage (as in thousands of acres), but it's close, convenient and offers similar terrain, flora and fauna.

My getting home trip would be a mix of road and off-road; for many, bugging out would probably be similar. Just don't go into your house when you get home, take the gate and set up camp in the back yard. No raiding the refrigerator; taking water from your garden hose to simulate water found on the way may be appropriate if you have a method of filtering/purifying (you gotta get the chlorine out somehow LOL).

Me? I'm bugging in, so when I get back I'm good to go on the shower and A/C smile

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.