Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#274338 - 02/26/15 03:15 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: Treeseeker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There are drug regimens without such dire consequences. I am following one such myself. The drug issue should be one additional factor in the decision to venture out solo or not. It is a good idea to consult with your physician about the potential consequences and suitable countermeasures, like taking partial doses.

If you are dealing with mandatory meds, the issue is really how to keep a secure backup stash available and ready. I am inclined towards a waterproof capsule on a neck lanyard

#274340 - 02/26/15 04:07 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
CountyComm Waterproof DelrinŽ Pico Pull would be one option -- small & lightweight. It serves a mostly redundant function as a zipper-pull, but might work well on a neck lanyard containing meds or whatever...

#274401 - 03/02/15 12:58 AM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
just a couple things from a canoe tripper.
it sounds like he bit off more than he could chew.i don't anything about this fellow and he may be a very experienced canoe hand but it does sound like he made a big mistake making this a solo trip in what would be bad water.dumping once could just be bad luck but twice is a disaster in the making and not attaching everything to the canoe is just plain foolish in a river filled with rapids.
not letting someone know where you are going and when you should be back is a bad move.he was lucky the rangers were on the ball about the permit.
good to hear that it turned out ok but people need to realize that wilderness style canoeing alone is just not like a fun filled Boy Scout trip.
"a man needs to know his limits"

#274417 - 03/03/15 11:34 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I go a little heavier when I am Canoeing

I like to have enough Critical Items when I have swam ashore to Survive Well. if you are interested I write an Article on my Lifejacket a few years ago you may find interesting.
boreal.net

#274419 - 03/04/15 03:46 AM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: BruceZed]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good kit, made me think about my aviation survival vest which is no longer being used. The vest is based on a Switlik modular aviation flotation vest. It is heavy on signaling gear (ACR ResQLink PLB, strobes, mirrors, flashlight, chem lights and laser flare), small AMK FAK, Spyderco Atlantic Salt folding knife and a Marine VHF radio for Ch.16. I fully expected the USCG helo to be alerted before I activated my PLB; the plane had an ELT so mine was redundant until the airplane sank -- which I expect would have happened if it floated at all.

Since I've stopped flying, I'll probably adapt the kit to be more useful in a land/shore type scenario. Keep all of the signaling gear, trade the radio and wasted space in that pocket for gear similar to that in BruceZed's kit (not all, but some). Maybe add a small nylon tarp and more para-cord. I won't need to have a saltwater proof kit and won't need a knife designed with saltwater in mind which means there are lots of good knives available. Definitely add a fire kit. Radio goes back in the box.

#274541 - 03/11/15 09:18 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

All Small Survival Kits (i.e. those we can actually carry) Require Individual Choices, depending on: use, environment, conditions, cost, weight, and personal preference. No realistically thought out Survival Kit will be the same as another Kit.
boreal.net

#274656 - 03/18/15 04:41 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: BruceZed]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
BruceZ..question..what do you think the time would be between setting off your PLB and rescue?
i see your up in Canada where the canoe tripping is more remote than here in Minnesota or just over the border in Quetico Park.
you have quite a bit of gear in the ditch vest so i'm thinking you expect a long wait.

#274710 - 03/21/15 01:51 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

That is very dependent on the location and SAR Resources available. In Alaska rescue took 24 hours after a bear attack.

You need to activate the system, SAR needs to have a resource in the area, and then the weather has to be good enough to fly, boat, quad to the location. With good luck and weather you might get rescues in 1-day, with Bad luck and bad weather it would be 3 or 4 days. I figure I will spend the night at least until rescue, unless I am very lucky.
boreal.net

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.