The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#274694 - 03/20/15 12:02 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: Teslinhiker]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I gave up coffee some time ago but still enjoy a tea brew every time I am out. One of the most memorable trips was about 40 miles in the middle of almost nowhere, sitting and enjoying the morning view (no tarp needed) while waiting for the tea water to heat up.

Nice photo. That is one of the joys of being out there, relaxing and soaking up the scenery.

#274695 - 03/20/15 01:36 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: EchoingLaugh]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh
Last point for consideration, the burst of energy (even if the duration is several hours) comes at a price. When the effects wear off you crash, regardless of your current situation. This peculiarity could lead to some interesting situations.

I think the crash effect tends to be most true with things containing sugar, followed by caffeine. What I've found through many long nights in datacenters and on the highway is that Five Hour Energy doesn't have me crashing (in any sense). No affiliation, YMMV.

#274696 - 03/20/15 02:46 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I gave up coffee some time ago but still enjoy a tea brew every time I am out. One of the most memorable trips was about 40 miles in the middle of almost nowhere, sitting and enjoying the morning view (no tarp needed) while waiting for the tea water to heat up.

A beautiful and memorable photo.

#274698 - 03/20/15 03:10 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The local Ralph's had Starbucks VIAŽ so I picked up a package (8 packets per) of their Colombian brew. I tried one this morning and it's not bad, probably the best instant coffee I've tried, better than some name-brand coffee that needs to be brewed. The 7 remaining packets will be added to my truck kit.

#274704 - 03/20/15 08:14 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: chaosmagnet]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Things like 5 Hour Energy usually contain artificial sweeteners. These do not sit well with me.Artificial sweeteners give me headaches, upset stomach and other complications "down the road". Energy drinks and caffine can be a diuretic and could promote dehydration. Then again if you are a habitual caffine user not having it can lead to further stress.It comes down to personal choice....

BOATMAN
John

#274706 - 03/20/15 08:39 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: ATN]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

If you need energy, eat good food. If you need caffeine, there are many ways of getting that. But to me the hot cup of coffee provides psychological comfort as much as it provides physical energy. Caffeine does not provide actual energy, like calories, and may degrade mental performance in the long run if you do not get calories and water.

I have never been a fan of energy drinks any way, so I admit my prejudice against them. You just can't beat a hot cup of coffee (or tea or hot chocolate) on a cold morning to get your day started. I use the hot chocolate on my scouts as they roll out of their sleeping bags on a cold winter morning. When it is cold, you can't get them to move. After the hot chocolate, you can't get them to stop!

#274708 - 03/20/15 10:21 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: ATN]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That's why I chase a pot of coffee with a can of Mountain Dew, and finish the watch with water, each watch. Then I try to sleep....

#274709 - 03/20/15 11:06 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: ATN]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: ATN
Does anyone stock their 72 hour/ BOB/ SAR kit with caffeine drinks/ pills like 5 hour energy? I thought about including 2 or 3 5 hour energy because a total of 3 ounces or so sounds like a small price to pay for my caffeine addiction smile

I never thought about using 5-hour energy drink for the BOB. I do use it though. Mostly for when I am driving long distances/periods; there is only so much music, gas stops, snack food one can use to keep one awake and alert. The 5-hour stuff doesn't crash me like straight caffeine does and is more subtle.

I supposed the inclusion would be based on what are your goals that you have in mind for your BOB. For example one of mine would be to bug out in case of a train derailment nearby. What do I need to carry so that I can get to a safe location until the clean-up or the OK signal from the authorities? I can't think of a reason that I would need 5-hour energy drinks in that scenario.

#274711 - 03/21/15 04:11 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: ATN]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
A square of dark chocolate works and is storable. Red apples also will help you stay awake, but thy are perishable. On long trips, I usually wash both down with a hot cup of coffee.

I'm a little worried about the long term effects of chemical energy drinks on the Gen X and Millennials of which my kids are members. May be the transfats of their generation.

#274713 - 03/22/15 03:23 PM Re: 5 Hour and such... [Re: ATN]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Zip Fizz, instant coffee (organo gold in this case) and instant tea(lipton with lemon).

The organo gold has some herbal additives I find, um, enhance the effects of caffiene over time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.