Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#274511 - 03/09/15 08:49 PM Tips for gear storage
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Heeeeeeeeelp,

My side of the bed looks like the local sporting goods department exploded, with assorted packs, sleeping bags, and other gear laying about on the floor. Likewise, other areas of the house have become repositories for assorted scouting/camping/survival type gear. My wife is ready to lynch me (or at least, make me set up a permanent camp site in the back yard to store or otherwise get rid of all the gear). Any tips on gear storage in a home with limited storage space? Some gear, like tarps, chairs and tents are out in the garage, but I am reluctant to put other gear out there, such as packs and sleeping bags, as I'm not sure if the conditions of the garage will negatively affect the function of these items. That is, the garage is subjected to what I consider pretty extreme variations in temperature and humidity; we've had lows so far this winter at or below 0 degrees F, and expect highs in the summer in the 90 to 100 degrees F range.

So if I may ask, what does everyone here at ETS do to store your gear? What items need to be kept in temperature controlled environments (i.e. in the house) and what items can I place in the garage or attic? Can I expect the items I put in the garage or attic to hold up over time while being subjected to extremes of heat and cold and humidity? I am particularly wondering about items such as packs and sleeping bags. How can I create extra storage spaces in the home and/or garage that will be both inconspicuous and relatively easily accessible? I've considered and used everything from drawers to storage totes but wonder what everyone else uses? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks in advance for any help.

#274514 - 03/09/15 09:12 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Rent a storage unit laugh !

Packs and sleeping bags are going to be okay in the garage if you keep them away from moisture and vermin. Plastic bins with secure lids work well for this. If humidity is a big concern use airtight bins and some kind of dessicant in the bins.

Airtight bins do not mean that you have to mortgage your home for Pelican (although they make super-nice gear). There's much less rugged and less expensive stuff out there that will still keep humidity out.

#274517 - 03/09/15 11:08 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Mark, I use plastic bins in the garage. My garage is insulated and finished inside though. There are good bins available at most hardware stores.

#274522 - 03/10/15 06:29 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Inside the house you can try to find space behind, under, and even inside the furniture (beds, chairs, sofas, tables). You can buy or make special storage furniture yourself or alter the existing one. You can hang some gear on the part of a wall, at the ceiling, and drape it with a curtain of sorts. I've heard of people sawing through the drywall and making hidden stashes in the walls behind paintings and curtains. Or you could build a new decorative storage wall somewhere in the house. The same way you can rise the floor at some spots/rooms (like a square podium under the bed). Same for the parts of the ceiling (e.g. shelf above the door in a small corridor). If you have 2 story rooms - use the under the stairs space. Or, perhaps you just need a tall and deep cabinet?

#274523 - 03/10/15 09:13 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I use plastic bins and more importently try to get rid of excessive gear.

#274524 - 03/10/15 11:49 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Tjin, there is no such thing as excessive gear!! We need all of it, and we need more, lol.

#274525 - 03/10/15 02:11 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: gonewiththewind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Tjin, there is no such thing as excessive gear!! We need all of it, and we need more, lol.

This might be the truest thing ever written.

#274526 - 03/10/15 02:15 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

LOL chaos, yeah I feel that way sometimes about the storage unit, guess I'll be making more of an effort to finish cleaning out the garage when the weather breaks here to make some room out there. The packs and sleeping bags are what is taking up a large amount of the space. Three summer weight bags, three honking big 0 degree mummy bags, plus DS got a smaller summer weight mummy for Christmas that will fit in his backpack, although this one is no where near as bulky as the others, this one packs down to the size of a football in it's compression sack.

Vermin will definitely be a consideration for putting stuff out in the garage, we have found more than our share of evidence of furry four legged critters out there. I'm not sure how big a concern humidity will be. I think I may be able to get by with the dessicant in the bins.

#274527 - 03/10/15 02:18 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: gonewiththewind]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Definitely will be checking into some storage bins montanero. My garage is unfinished and uninsulated, however it is well vented, hoping that will help some.

#274528 - 03/10/15 02:26 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Alex]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the tips alex, unfortunately, most of those spaces are already being used or are inaccessible. Under my side of the bed, I have small gear organized in various clear shoe box size totes. In addition, I have a stack of those clear plastic drawers in which I have other small gear organized. DS has a captains bed so that space is unavailable, under the spare bed DW has already commandeered for assorted gift wrapping and craft totes (as well as the closet), under the couch is already crammed with stuff as well. Thinking I have to get more creative with my approach to storage inside the house. Or maybe it's time for a big purge of all the useless junk we don't ever use yet refuse to part with lol.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.