The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274443 - 03/05/15 05:31 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I bought my PLB from Landfall Navigation. Still not cheap and not something I'd put in a minimalist kit. Minimal is something less than robust.

#274444 - 03/05/15 02:37 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank you for the reference. If I figure in my REI member dividend, the final price is about the same. I like ACR products - I used their rescue beacon for years very successfully.

#274445 - 03/05/15 03:08 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good point about the REI dividend, I never remember that until I get the dividend credit the following year.

Taking my vest apart today. Replacing the overly large pocket for the radio with a smaller one that will work better in a land/shoreline environment. Keeping the ACR PLB in its own pocket as it is now -- tied in and velcro'd closed.

#274448 - 03/06/15 01:24 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: hikermor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
OK, well I guess "cheap" is a relative thing.

Still the cost of today's PLB has halved in the last few year!!

Its about the cost of a half-decent backpacking tent.

Its about the cost of a good backpacking sleeping bag and self-inflating pad.

Its about the cost of a low-end Garmin mapping GPS (not the NUVI, but the outdoor type).

Its about half the cost of the cheapest canoe REI sells.

Its about the cost of two Rittergrip knives. I don't want to say how many I have (my wife knows about most of them).

Its about the cost to replace the smartphone your teenager sat on - likely a less. Wow those things are expensive!!

... and if needed it can bring help to you ... regardless of where you might find yourself ... with the push of a button. Amazing technology!

#274451 - 03/06/15 05:45 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

All those items are good basic outdoor gear items, not at all that specialized(unlike the BD portaledge which is over $1100 fully equipped), but I wouldn't describe any of them as "stinkin' cheap." WhenI spend $200 or more, I generally shop around rather thoughtfully. I am not sure how much I have sunk into my climbing gear, but it is probably north of $3000, more or less. And to think that climbing appealed to me because it was so cheap! Maybe it was,years ago

Originally Posted By: KenK

... and if needed it can bring help to you ... regardless of where you might find yourself ... at the push of a button. Amazing technology!
Really? I have done a fair amount of caving - do they work in that environment? What about the climber stuck in a precarious avalanche zone? These are just a couple of situations where a PLB will not really be all that useful.

Don't get me wrong. PLBs do save lives, essentially taking the "search" out of searchandrescue, and shortening the recovery cycle tremendously. But they can't do everything. Your judgment is the first, and most important line of defense against disaster. If you mess up, and fall 300 feet, use of the PLB will only provide a quick body recovery before your remains become too rank (and the rescuers will appreciate that!) The minimalist kit that is the subject of this thread is a very real component that keeps the situation stable until you, with or without the help of others, can work out a solution.

#274466 - 03/07/15 02:56 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

It looks like those zip fizz vials are kinda bulky, how many pills can you fit?

I happened upon aluminum pill fobs at the dollar store ... for a dollar ... real aluminum , like ezy dose (used to be?) ... fits a whole glass bottle of nitroglycerin

I think this kit might be able to fit inside a Nalgene bottle
M40's "ATV" Wilderness Survival Kit .... amazing amount of stuff stuffed in there smile

#274488 - 03/08/15 05:01 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The Zipfizz containers will hold a couple dozen ibuprofen pills. I have a couple of satchels that fit in pockets that I load with a dozen or so of the vials containing various meds, like Benadryl, Immodium, Sudafed, Zantac, Aspirin, etc. The vials are fairly watertight when the lid is snapped shut, and virtually waterproof with a couple wraps of electrical tape. They also work well for containing wads of cottonballs saturated with Vaseline. They are also great for storing matches. They are also great for storing drink mixes grin

They don't take up too much space for what I need. I really like re-using these things. Makes me feel like I am getting my money's worth for what the Zipfizz cost me to begin with.

#274545 - 03/12/15 12:47 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just ordered this wide mouth SS bottle to see if it's good (I'm using a different one now, but it has a rather narrow mouth). http://www.ebay.com/itm/321061665427 It turned out to be not that easy to find a proper one cheap enough. Will update you on delivery.

#274548 - 03/12/15 03:20 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Alex, if you pop off the plastic screw top and retainer ring, can you use it to boil water? That's such a great price, that it almost has to have some hidden flaw e.g. Cap not water tight,....

#274550 - 03/12/15 01:10 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The Nalgene stainless steel bottles are still available, and I have used them in a fire before. The cap is held on by a cord that slips right off. I used to be able to find them at Dick's Sporting Goods, but I know they are still on Amazon. Is it the price that is inhibiting the purchase?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.