Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#274618 - 03/16/15 02:27 PM Re: Solar Knife - What will they think of next? [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Alex
At any rate - great integration design! I disagree that LMF adds a firestarter at no consequences at all. It is adding weight and complexity to the system - no doubt.

Even as I wrote it, I knew I should have added a qualifier ("appreciably" or "significantly") to my statement. Any weight gain is very small and the fixing of the fire steel in the handle is actually simpler than a separate steel hanging out somewhere on the holster. Very elegant engineering, if you ask me.

What it does add is cost a list price of $36 compared to $15-20 for a standard Mora - still a decent bargain. It's kind of irrelevant anyway, because I usually light my fire or stove with a butane lighter.

Thinking back, on those occasions where I really,really needed a fire, I used matches,a century old (+/-) technology, and I still carry them routinely. I will probably never need to use my LMF for real.

#274629 - 03/16/15 09:41 PM Re: Solar Knife - What will they think of next? [Re: hikermor]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
WShen there have been times I needed a fire it was cold,wet rainy and overcast.All not conducive to solar ignition.Does it work?Sure it does,but not all the time.My fresnel lens doesn't work in those conditions either.No fire starter is perfect for all conditions.But my chances are better with more options.A "one tool option" does not exist.With my MORA Bushcraft Black I could get a spark from certain stones.But how does one turn that into fire is the key.....

BOATMAN
John

#274630 - 03/17/15 03:32 AM Re: Solar Knife - What will they think of next? [Re: hikermor]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Took another look at the handle of this knife on the web site.It has very hard edges that would cause blisters with any moderate to heavy use.In a survival/bushcraft situation there is A LOT of knife work.Carving tent/tarp pins,fire prep,food prep,trap triggers etc..That knife handle would hurt or injure your hand and inhibit your survival.Just thought that the polished handles would make it very hard to hold onto in wet or bloody (game cleaning) conditions.The hand could slip up on the edge and seriously hurt you.I have the Aurora Fire Starter that this company makes and I like it.With the O-ring seal its good for a saltwater environment.This knife just really misses the mark.

BOATMAN
John

#274632 - 03/17/15 02:18 PM Re: Solar Knife - What will they think of next? [Re: Alex]
ajax Offline

Eh, it's a mediocre steel with what looks like no grip or traction for holding it. No jimping or textured scales? That's a hard pass for me.

Also 4" is about as short as you would ever want for a bushcraft knife...maybe even too short. Can you baton wood with this knife? How thick is it?

It's a neat innovation but fails at just being a knife.

#274638 - 03/17/15 06:37 PM Re: Solar Knife - What will they think of next? [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
One questions, how many of us can actually keep a knife so clean in the field over numerous days out in the wilderness that it stays so shiny that it can be used to light a fire?

I can't, sorry but My Knives get Dirty, Scratched, & even Rusty the odd time during use. Even with a quick clean and sharpen each night none of my working knives ever look like they just came out of box if I really used then as a survival tool for a week or two.

Survival Knives need to be sharp, strong, and compact.

Fire Lighting Gear is separate and needs to be Robust and Redundant, so you can always light a fire in the wilderness regardless of conditions and if the sun can be seen or is out.

I am going to Skip on this "Innovation"
boreal.net

#274639 - 03/17/15 07:15 PM Re: Solar Knife - What will they think of next? [Re: ajax]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: ajax
Also 4" is about as short as you would ever want for a bushcraft knife...maybe even too short.

I don't agree with that. You'll find many of the really good bushcraft knives (even survival orientated ones) come in around the 4" mark.

#274644 - 03/18/15 08:50 AM Re: Solar Knife - What will they think of next? [Re: hikermor]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: hikermor
--------------...Which leads me to ask,what is the lowest sun angle at which any solar lighting technique would be effective?

There is no absolute limit. When the sun is near the horizon it is far less intense, this makes starting a fire with a given size lens or mirror more difficult.
By concentrating solar energy from a larger area, by means of a larger lens or mirror, then a fire may be lit even in very unfavourable conditions such as with the sun near the horizon or partially obstructed by light haze.

By use of an A4 sized Fresnel lens I have easily started a fire with the sun close to the horizon.

However as others post, a fire is most often wanted under conditions quite unsuited for solar fire lighting. IMHO a large concave mirror or a large Fresnel lens are well keeping for use in any TEOTWAWKI situation, but are less useful for a short term emergency.
Matches are soon expended, though carrying enough for a month or two is easy, a ferro rod and striker will light hundreds, maybe thousands of fires, but is eventually used up.
A suitable lens or mirror will start fires INDEFINATLY with nothing whatsoever being consumed or expended, that could be a lifesaver in any true long term emergency, but is less applicable to backpacking etc.

#274652 - 03/18/15 03:04 PM Re: Solar Knife - What will they think of next? [Re: adam2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks! I would have surmised that solar fire starting would have been considerably more difficult after 3 and before 10.You make a good point about long term versus short term situations. I might add that it is easyto keep a fire going, once lit. Camping overnight, a bit of fussing with the coals from the evening fire will heat up the morning coffee without further use of matches. Once deep in the Sonoran desert, we built our fire with Ironwood. The next morning the coals were still perfect for cooking-even easier than flipping a switch!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.