Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274551 - 03/12/15 04:02 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: acropolis5]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Alex, if you pop off the plastic screw top and retainer ring, can you use it to boil water? That's such a great price, that it almost has to have some hidden flaw e.g. Cap not water tight,....

Yep, I have some doubts as well, but on the other end. It looks like the bottom of the bottle is a separate piece welded/glued to the walls. That might render it useless as a boiling vessel, but maybe not. I will definitely check for that first on delivery (March 18th). The price is actually right. There are plenty of other SS bottles, but with a rather narrow neck, in the same ballpark off eBay. Nalgene is a typical trademark ripoff.

#274552 - 03/12/15 04:08 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Montanero
The Nalgene stainless steel bottles are still available, and I have used them in a fire before. The cap is held on by a cord that slips right off. I used to be able to find them at Dick's Sporting Goods, but I know they are still on Amazon. Is it the price that is inhibiting the purchase?

I have one filled with water in my GHB, but it's too wide to nest into my Snowpeak mug and more than twice as expensive before shipping and tax. The one from eBay looks much narrower and there is a chance the neck's thread is compatible with nalgene's.

#274562 - 03/12/15 08:36 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: Alex]
Virginia_Mark Offline
Journeyman

Cool topic.

This is what I carry when Traveling light in the woods.. Usually hunting.

*fixed blade high carbon steel knife
*Bacho Laplander folding saw
*18oz kleen Canteen
*Petzel headlamp
*Contractor Bags (2ea)
*25ft of #36 bank line
*25ft of Jute twine
*fire steel
*bic lighter
*fire starter packets (2)
*cotton Bandana
*Silva Polaris compass
*Plasic match case containing: drugs (immodium AD, Vicoden, Benedryl), dry cotton ball, fishing line wrapped around #9 hooks, button compass
*Garmin GPS

Thats about it.

#274593 - 03/14/15 06:26 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada

In Canada Stainless Steel Water Bottles are readily available at Canadian Tire for around $12. They are a fantastic improvement over trying to improvise a plastic bottle and are more robust to damage as well. If you carry a Water Bottle, it Should be Stainless Steel!

I buy a bottles with the biggest mouth and then cut off the plastic attachment for the lid. I then re-configure the mouth of the bottle with wire and two o-rings to allow easy use above a fire. The lid is then attached with cord so it can be easily detached.

boreal.net

#274594 - 03/14/15 06:35 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

That is nice, Bruce!

#274619 - 03/16/15 02:45 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: BruceZed
If you carry a Water Bottle, it Should be Stainless Steel!

SS definitely has its place,but other types of water bottles have their place as well. For cheap and light, recycle a beverage bottle, preferably one with a wide mouth.For compact and lightweight, use a flexible Platypus or Nalgene. For large loads of two gallons or more, plastic rules. I can't recall ever damaging any bottle to the point where it couldn't be used. Down here in the arid southwest, two or more,perhaps of different types,make a lot of sense.

#274621 - 03/16/15 03:33 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Weather applies as well. Last year in Death Valley, I found that the SS bottles did not heat up like the plastic ones. The water was much cooler to drink in the stainless steel.

#274622 - 03/16/15 03:37 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I like plastic because when you drop them, they bounce back and rarely break or dent permenantly. You can use them as hot water bottle in your sleeping bag, it won't burn you when you pour hot water in, you can see what and how much is in there and in the rare situation you need to check if something is straight, you can use it as a level.

A seperate cooking vessel is a far better option for cooking. Having something with a handle and doesn't require extra long utensils to scoop things out of is way more practical.

#274623 - 03/16/15 04:17 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Hard sided water bottles slosh when partially full and make noise. For hunting I like a platy along with a hard side. I drink from the platy and then refill it from the hard side.

Clear bottles can be used at lower latitudes to purify water by the SODIS method.

Dark bottles with wide mouths, like the brown prune juice bottles, can be filled with snow and set in the sun to melt.

Some metal bottles have a taste. Makes me wonder what stuff is leaching out of them. Specially the China made ones.

Edited by clearwater (03/16/15 04:25 PM)

#274640 - 03/17/15 08:01 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: BruceZed]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

BruceZed, yours looks like the exact bottle I've got off eBay. The first impressions (sorry for hijacking the thread a bit):
1. It's definitely a welded construction. I can clearly see on the inside the side seam and the seam at the bottom part. So the fire pit test is mandatory (pending).
2. I've got the bottle covered in blue paint or plastic on the outside, so again it needs to be burned out and the surface cleaned for safe use in the fire (pending).
3. The cap is surely watertight due to the simple gasket seal against the neck's edge - no problems there, I think.
4. The cap is of a Nalgene's size, the thread's pitch is compatible as well, BUT is too shallow to accept Nalgene's cap naturally. The Nalgene bottle, on the other hand, accepts this bottle's cap without a problem an seals well too. So, if I decide to use some Nalgene's cap or an attachment with this bottle, I will have to alter it by shaving off the cap's thread a bit (will experiment with a leftover old Nalgene cap laying around first).

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.