The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#274529 - 03/10/15 03:31 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
hmmm, looking online and finding some 20 to 25 gallon airtight totes here and here

Not sure if one of those would be big enough to hold all three 0 degree mummy bags loosely. I also saw a 50 gallon tote here and wondering if i'd be almost as well off sealing the sleeping bags loosely inside a garbage bag before placing them in the 50 gallon tote? Any thoughts on this?

Standard disclaimers apply, I have no affiliations with any of the products or companies linked to above.

#274530 - 03/10/15 06:40 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
You may do better price-wise elsewhere: http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-air-ti...qt/-/A-15066036 (no affiliation).

#274531 - 03/11/15 12:03 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have used Rubbermaid containers of this general type very satisfactorily for years - http://www.uline.com/BL_317/Rubbermaid-Cargo-Boxes . REI, among others, carries smaller sizes.

#274532 - 03/11/15 12:07 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Also, you mention using loose storage bags of plastic. All the loose storage bags I have ever seen, at least those provided by manufacturers, are of a loose cotton weave....

#274534 - 03/11/15 05:43 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I use big totes for most of my stuff. Lots and lots of big totes! blush grin

#274537 - 03/11/15 04:31 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

thanks chaos, unfortunately that is only a 20 guart size, i.e, only 5 gallons. A search on their site yielded a 13.5 gal size, but I'm not sure those would be big enough to hold all the sleeping bags. Maybe putting one in each would work, not sure though. I plan to shop locally and see what the sizes actually look like for comparison, especially before i order something online.

#274538 - 03/11/15 04:44 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

thanks hikermor, good looking storage container, nice size but a tad pricey for something that's not airtight

Relative to that, I mentioned storing the sleeping bags loosely in large garbage bags (i.e. a sort of additional barrier and makeshift waterproofing) before putting them into one of those larger, non-air tight containers. Not sure if this will work, might not provide enough protection from moisture due to humidity or sweating inside the containers. Might even make it worse as the garbage bag might end up acting more as a vapor barrier so any moisture that might find it's way into the garbage bag won't be able to get out. Short term it might be fine, just don't want to store the lightweight bags in november, and pull them back out in march or april a soggy (or worse moldy) mess. Likewise storing the winter weight bags, I'm not sure our area has enough humidity to cause that kind of damage, but not wanting to take chances with it either if i can help it.

With that in mind tho, I wonder if I could go for something that's not air tight for the in season bags, and something that is air tight to store the out of season bags longer term?

#274539 - 03/11/15 05:01 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Totes are efficient in stacking, but they do not adapt to size, meaing you always have a little empty space left.

For large fluffy items (sleeping bags, downjackets, skipants) stored in house, i used IKEA bags. They are cheap, square, nice and big for you sleeping bags and if there is a odd shape in the closet, it's not really a issue. I keep the top uncovered so air can flow. Also much easier to handle if you want to put them in the top shelf on a closet.

#274543 - 03/11/15 10:51 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I use the plastic five and seven gallon buckets like food comes in. I also use Gamma Seal lids.They are an adapter that snaps on the bucket and the lid unscrews from the" inside " of the adapter. They are available at Home Depot.They run around $7.00. If enough buckets, planks can be placed across and now you have extra storage shelves. A bucket and lid can easily hold most sleeping bags. Just make sure they are very dry before so. The Gamma Seals are air and water tight. I have a camoing set up like this in my truck. When un packed the bucket and lid are a stool in camp. It is also dry food storage to keep out racoons and opussums. The bucket is also handy for dish and personal wash up. Many canoeists use these also....

BOATMAN
John

#274553 - 03/12/15 04:50 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: boatman]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I love Rubbermade stuff too. Four crates on my balcony serves as a storage and sitting benches (covered with outdoors furniture pillows) for the past 8 years and still like new.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.