Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#274450 - 03/06/15 04:45 AM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: MDinana]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
MD..never really thought about what the EMT's did but i assumed they did more than give O2, fluids and transport.

#274452 - 03/06/15 05:48 AM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Many have been known to splint fractures and stop bleeding, but transport to a competent ER is critical.

#274453 - 03/06/15 08:01 AM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Brangdon]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

It depends on the country, but in most the police are in charge of identifying persons. I guess thats why the taxdisk ID was a suggestion from the police. Not sure how much easier it would make since, you they can just look in the database for the registered owner.

Not sure what EMT's and paramedics are allowed to do. The medical skills and training varies a lot in countries. From trained volenteers, to nurses to docters. Some can give very advanced procedures on the spot.

#274461 - 03/06/15 08:40 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
MD..never really thought about what the EMT's did but i assumed they did more than give O2, fluids and transport.

Depends where you are ...
In the US, EMT-Basics are basically first-aid only. Splinting, O2, transport, bleeding control. Very few medication, glucose is OK, oxygen, sometimes epinephrine or albuterol for asthma.
EMT-Intermediates are fading away in most places. Usually first aid and can do some limited IV fluids.
EMT-Paramedics have about 40 drugs, can intubate, defibrillate, start IV's.

I've never heard of blood being carried or transfused in the field by EMTs. That being said, I know a doctor in NJ that, during his EMS fellowship, was doing on-scene blood transfusions. Again, this was a physician, not a paramedic or EMT.

And as Tjin alludes to, EMS doesn't ID people. Usually the PD, rarely the FD.

Edited by MDinana (03/06/15 08:41 PM)

#274471 - 03/07/15 02:13 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Tjin]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Tjin
Not sure if this a great thing or not. If someone can link the car to you and your address, so can the thief whom broke in to your car and possibly steal your house keys if you left them in in there.
Why would you leave your house keys in your car?

#274472 - 03/07/15 02:18 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: hikermor]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
How would first responders know that the person they are treating is the individual described on the sticker,especially if there are multiple victims....??
They suggest including photos to help with identification. Also, the main information is next of kin, which is likely to be the same, or close enough, for all drivers (assuming it's a privately own vehicle and not a car pool business one).

#274473 - 03/07/15 02:26 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Alex]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Alex
IMO, two license plates is enough for ER identification. They have that procedure established for a long time. I'd rather get a neck tag with some data on it for myself.
In the UK the license plate will only give the address of the registered owner. It doesn't include any phone numbers or anything about the next of kin. It doesn't include a photo, either, and the registered owner may not be the driver.

A neck tag is fine if you like that sort of thing, but many of us don't like wearing stuff around our neck. Also, I'm not sure how effective it would be. Often first responders are reluctant to go ferreting through your personal possessions in case they get accused of theft. The windshield thing is supposed to be easily visible, obvious in intent, and accessible.

#274480 - 03/07/15 04:57 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Brangdon]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
In the UK the license plate will only give the address of the registered owner. It doesn't include any phone numbers or anything about the next of kin. It doesn't include a photo, either, and the registered owner may not be the driver.

I listen to Police and Fire on my scanner every day.
Here with a name they can bring up possible people and with DoB can narrow it down. Then they can find vehicles you own, address you live at, SSN, phone numbers, outstanding arrest warrants and protection orders and the last time a police officer contacted you. I wouldn't be surprised if the driver's license picture could be passed on the mobile terminals for positive ID.

Sometimes they'll pass the last 4 digits of the SSN over the air to confirm the correct person (which is why I chose to put my SSN on my tag)

#274496 - 03/08/15 03:52 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Brangdon]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
How would first responders know that the person they are treating is the individual described on the sticker,especially if there are multiple victims....??
They suggest including photos to help with identification. Also, the main information is next of kin, which is likely to be the same, or close enough, for all drivers (assuming it's a privately own vehicle and not a car pool business one).

If you have keys in a bag and jump out of the car quickly to get something, pay for gas, etc.

During vacation I often store my house keys in the car in a little key safe. No point in taking them along while mtb/climbing/hiking, etc. The tent certainly isn't very secure and bringing my keys along means i can bent them (happens...) or loose them.

#274520 - 03/10/15 03:12 AM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Brangdon]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
The idea is that stuck to the wind-shield it will be easier to access than something in your wallet. The disc is folded so that specific information is hidden; you need to get into the car and retrieve the disc to see anything confidential.

Hmm... good intentions by a bureaucrat, without a doubt. It sure would make you a ripe target for criminals, especially for identity theft, amongst other things. Only would take a broken window or an unlocked car door to lose valuable personal information.

As far as contact information goes, I'm not sure how it is on that side of the pond, but your law enforcement agencies probably have access to nearly all of the data they could possibly want (and then some). Databases are only becoming more and more connected, and a few easy mouse clicks away. And if they can't get it right away, it likely only takes a short bit of follow-up research.

IMHO, what this "Contact Disc" does is make things easier for people filling out reports, forms, and citations.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.