Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#274430 - 03/04/15 06:20 PM Red hair may have saved this hiker...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So, besides red hair, what lessons can we glean from this?

hiker rescue story.

#274432 - 03/04/15 06:50 PM Re: Red hair may have saved this hiker... [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
IMHO, long blonde hair would have worked just as well (my wife is blonde).

Inexperience and lack of preparation - that is what gets people in trouble. Carry a cell phone, especially in an area like that around Santa Barbara, where coverage is pretty decent.It helps to carry the Ten Essentials,including some sort of FAK, but that gets back to the original problem.

In addition to responding to emergencies, my unit carried out a fairly extensive public outreach/education campaign in an attempt to raise awareness

#274446 - 03/05/15 07:17 PM Re: Red hair may have saved this hiker... [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
don't jump off rocks.

Basic preps are basic. Seriously, the ability to start a fire may have saved their life, or a cell phone (or PLB), or just telling their mom where they were hiking.

Buddy system for a reason ... sad her friend died.

#274456 - 03/06/15 04:12 PM Re: Red hair may have saved this hiker... [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Bright color played an important role in this lady's survival and that is important because some people claim that one should dress in dull pastels and eschew bright colors in backpack and tents, etc.I have spent far too much time searching for victims wearing faded blue jeans and tan T shirts. I like hot, bright colors. If you dress in subdued shades,at least have something bright that will help get you noticed, to say nothing of a whistle or mirror.

The caption in the picture accompanying the article identified the trail as the Cold Springs Trail. My tattered guide book described this trail as "popular, well maintained" and "moderately easy" (in the lower stretches). Without knowledge, even easy country is hazardous.

#274460 - 03/06/15 07:10 PM Re: Red hair may have saved this hiker... [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Bright color played an important role in this lady's survival and that is important because some people claim that one should dress in dull pastels and eschew bright colors in backpack and tents, etc.I have spent far too much time searching for victims wearing faded blue jeans and tan T shirts. I like hot, bright colors. If you dress in subdued shades,at least have something bright that will help get you noticed, to say nothing of a whistle or mirror.

Amen to that, Bro!

Picture an early morning briefing at the IncIdent Command Post. The Ops Section Chief is briefing search teams on the mission. "When last seen, the subject was wearing brown Carhart pants, a camo Cabelas jacket, and a camo baseball hat with a Jack Daniels logo on it." At that point a collective sigh is heard from the assembled volunteer SAR personnel.......

Sadly this happens all too often. It's one reason why I avoid the "Tacticool" look.

#274462 - 03/06/15 10:47 PM Re: Red hair may have saved this hiker... [Re: AKSAR]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Amen to that, Bro!

Picture an early morning briefing at the IncIdent Command Post. The Ops Section Chief is briefing search teams on the mission. "When last seen, the subject was wearing brown Carhart pants, a camo Cabelas jacket, and a camo baseball hat with a Jack Daniels logo on it." At that point a collective sigh is heard from the assembled volunteer SAR personnel.......

Sadly this happens all too often. It's one reason why I avoid the "Tacticool" look.

It's not just to be found more easily by rescue personell. It's also handy to see your buddy in front of you in bad weather (especially when belaying, during climbing). And ever put subdued coloured things down, walked away and then walk back and try to find it? Often you can find them, other moments are like having staring contests with a small patch of ground. It must be here, somewhere....

#274463 - 03/07/15 12:31 AM Re: Red hair may have saved this hiker... [Re: Tjin]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Tjin
It's also handy to see your buddy in front of you in bad weather (especially when belaying, during climbing). And ever put subdued coloured things down, walked away and then walk back and try to find it? Often you can find them, other moments are like having staring contests with a small patch of ground. It must be here, somewhere....

Very good points! Keeping track of companions is a good reason to wear easily visible colors. This is especially true if you take small children on outdoors trips. Obviously it is good to be able to to see your kids. It is also reassuring to them when they can easily see you.

Regarding gear, we once lost a perfectly good set of trekking poles ( dark colored). My wife had collapsed them to the storage size when we got down onto an easy trail, and was carrying them in her hands. At one of our rest stops at a nice grassy spot we sat down and she laid them on the ground, while we had a snack. When we got up to move on she forgot to pick them up, and we walked several miles before we realized we did't have them. Since then I've marked most dark or small items with bright orange tape or cord etc. It makes it much easier to spot them with a quick scan around the area when you move on.

#274467 - 03/07/15 03:00 AM Re: Red hair may have saved this hiker... [Re: AKSAR]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Regarding gear, we once lost a perfectly good set of trekking poles ( dark colored). My wife had collapsed them to the storage size when we got down onto an easy trail, and was carrying them in her hands. At one of our rest stops at a nice grassy spot we sat down and she laid them on the ground, while we had a snack. When we got up to move on she forgot to pick them up, and we walked several miles before we realized we did't have them. Since then I've marked most dark or small items with bright orange tape or cord etc. It makes it much easier to spot them with a quick scan around the area when you move on.

I left a hiking stick on a trail in the BWCA. It had my address on it, and some good samaritan mailed it to me a few weeks later. The hiking stick was more expensive than my labeler, so that paid for the labeler right there.

#274468 - 03/07/15 04:40 AM Re: Red hair may have saved this hiker... [Re: GoatRider]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I find myself leading groups on short excursions and I have found that people can find me in a crowd much more easily when I wear vivid colors. Of course,I am a shy quiet sort of person, but I will make the sacrifice for the general good (What a guy!) grin

#274469 - 03/07/15 07:54 AM Re: Red hair may have saved this hiker... [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Excellent points re bright colors. I will admit to a preference for grey, black and muted colors but I when I hike or camp I'm always sure to have some bright stuff along, too. I definitely have learned my lesson when it comes to knives and stuff- bright is better! I have an obnoxious looking ESSE that's green and orange; folks have given me jibes about the knife at home but the first time I lay it down while in the woods they understand! It's hard to lose a Toxic Green and Orange knife! grin I've been meaning to get on yellow Surefire for just the same reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.