The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#274457 - 03/06/15 05:40 PM No GHB this trip
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
For several reasons, I could not bring my GHB with me. I am presently sitting in my steel floating self propelled box on the downstream side of NOLA w/my EDC and very little other gear of my own.

EDC: SAK, Bic lighters, bandanna's, multi tool, flashlights, magnesium bar w/flint & striker, P-38, 2 spare AA batteries, smart phone, NukAlert, button compass, ink pen, some cash, a medium size Polish Army pouch, carabiners, 55gal trash bag, 1qt canteen, 16' of paracord, an Israeli Messenger Bag, appropriate clothing, & a small pocket flask.

This boat has comforters (bedding), 12'x12' blue tarps (shelter), fire axes (weapon & tool), all types of food, bottled water, a spool of 3/8th's inch nylon rope, 3inch lines, a small boat w/5gals of gas, kitchen cookware & utensils, 55gal & 35gal trash bags, 1qt & 1gal ziplock bags, toilet paper, several cases of bottled water, & a road map Atlas of the USA.

The only reason I would have to leave the boat would be in the event of an EMP. The Messenger bag and Polish Army pouch can hold a bit of supplies/equipment. I can make a bedroll from the comforter, tarp, & rope onboard. I can make a paracord from the strands of the 3" lines.I can easily make it to the West Bank. Then I would follow the levee up the west bank (thru the NOLA Metropolitan area), to the Hwy 190 bridge in Baton Rouge (includes cutting across the points and around the various oxbows to maintain a straight line), then west on Hwy 190 to get home north of the Atchafalaya Swamp.

Anybody have suggestions on what other resources I may have overlooked or routing suggestions?

#274458 - 03/06/15 06:23 PM Re: No GHB this trip [Re: wildman800]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: wildman800
The only reason I would have to leave the boat would be in the event of an EMP.

You are the expert here and I know I am not, but I would also consider that you might have to leave the boat due to a sufficiently-serious mechanical failure, hole in the hull, or fire.

In your shoes I would add a locking folder, a way to charge my phone, and some snacks to my EDC. A PLB would not be a bad idea either.

Do you have a route that does not go through the metropolitan area, in case that became important?

#274459 - 03/06/15 06:43 PM Re: No GHB this trip [Re: wildman800]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Not sure how long your get home trip would be, but considering the noted terrain, I'd make sure I have:
- Machete
- Wilderness FAK (bites, trauma)
- Bug net
- Sturdy waterproof sack (can be used as a floating aid, I don't trust garbage bags on that)
- Water filter (Sawyer - my choice)
- Dust mask (or even a gas mask, as an EMP will create some radioactive waste in the air anyway, so if you are serious about that some iodine supplement is also a must)
- A better spirit compass to work with the map
- Spare prescription glasses/lenses
- Fishing supplies?
- A gun?

For the routing, I'm not local, but perhaps that smaller boat could be re-rigged for paddling or even basic sailing as a need arises to cut the land trip a little? Then some arrangements to speed up the transformation could be made in advance.

#274464 - 03/07/15 01:26 AM Re: No GHB this trip [Re: chaosmagnet]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The only reason I would have to leave the boat would be in the event of an EMP.

You are the expert here and I know I am not, but I would also consider that you might have to leave the boat due to a sufficiently-serious mechanical failure, hole in the hull, or fire.

[/color] Damage or failures have other procedures in place to follow and rescue would be available.

In your shoes I would add a locking folder, a way to charge my phone, and some snacks to my EDC. A PLB would not be a bad idea either.

[color:#FF9900]
I have the SAK which locks, and heavy butcher knives, I doubt if a smart phone/cell system will work after an EMP. I would be taking snacks, food, & water with me. If they appear to work (less than 10" antennas), I would take a hand held VHF-FM Radio.

Do you have a route that does not go through the metropolitan area, in case that became important?

[color:#FF9900][/color] NOLA is surrounded by swamps and lakes with very limited routes in and out. The route I am looking at minimizes exposure to hostile areas. It also is the shortest distance to higher ground that allows greater directional options.

#274465 - 03/07/15 01:34 AM Re: No GHB this trip [Re: Alex]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We do have gas masks and dust masks. Gas masks are for short duration use. They cannot be worn very long before one has to remove them and rest awhile.

The rest is what is currently available with me or on the boat. Yes, there are large FAK's onboard that smaller FAK's could be made up from! I forgot about a FAK! We do have some fishing gear onboard also. That would be very useful. Guns are not allowed onboard. We do have some heavy but her knives that can be useful.

#274470 - 03/07/15 01:24 PM Re: No GHB this trip [Re: wildman800]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Any EMP protected (Night Vision) NV kit available on board to move at night through a blacked out urban NOLA?

#274474 - 03/07/15 03:06 PM Re: No GHB this trip [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
.... I am presently sitting in my steel floating self propelled box on the downstream side of NOLA w/my EDC and very little other gear of my own. ...

The steel box (ship) may provide pretty good EMP protection depending on lots of unknowns. We pretty much know what will happen if an EMP hits the electric grid because those long transmission lines make excellent antennas and feed lines to transformers and customers.

But a steel box sitting in muddy water may do just fine. Radios on the bridge may pop, expecially any with long whip antennas, but equipment inside the hull may survive ... or not. Do not assume gear will be safe or will burn out. Propulsion and steerage may function fine despite the electronic navigation and comm systems dying. Regardless of all the theories, there is little empirical evidence either way. IMO

Here's a thought. Put a Marine VHF handheld and a GPS rcvr in an ammo can as low in the ship as possible, isolated from the hull. Essentially a small faraday cage.

#274477 - 03/07/15 03:43 PM Re: No GHB this trip [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The steel box (ship) may provide pretty good EMP protection depending on lots of unknowns. We pretty much know what will happen if an EMP hits the electric grid because those long transmission lines make excellent antennas and feed lines to transformers and customers.

A very good point I hadn't considered.

A boat (especially w/zinc plates) discharges static electricity into the water very efficiently. A large charge can be discharged through the hull very quickly. Radios, RADAR's, and other pieces with external antennas may be fried but the internal computer monitors and generators may be very well protected!!!

I'm doubtful of those vessels equipped with CAPAC Systems as they are proven lightening attractors with the subsequent electronic damages well documented. Those vessels don 't lose internal control systems though, to the best of my knowledge and experience.

#274478 - 03/07/15 04:24 PM Re: No GHB this trip [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Not familiar with the CAPAC system -- but that system may aid in the lightning coupling to the onboard electrical system. It's all about how the EMP or lightning strike couples to the electronics; CAPAC may provide an easy path. Even if computer systems die, a disconnected laptop (inside the hull but physically isolated) may be a good back-up.

If you can make your ship more survivable to an EMP so that propulsion and steerage are still operational, then it's a matter of navigation and staying in the channel. In that case, staying with the ship may be your best option. At least you should be able to get yourself to a better location North of NOLA before disembarking for the hike home.

#274482 - 03/07/15 05:19 PM Re: No GHB this trip [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The idea is to stay with the vessel which is thoroughly computer controlled on every major system.

Losing the primary radio sets (3), RADAR, electronic navigation systems & computers are a minor issue.

Whether we would lose the generators, main switch board, electrical motors on critical subsystems, and onboard control circuits/ modules (engines and steering) would be the only reason to secure the vessel and disembark.

The zincs may very well protect everything inside that isn't connected to an external antenna....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.