Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274431 - 03/04/15 06:23 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like the idea, but would rather have the water bottle full of water...and carry the rest elsewhere. Vitamins are really only useful in the long term. ( over 30 days) rollup sunglasses? spare contacts?

#274433 - 03/04/15 07:00 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Good point, especially in arid areas - which brings up the issue of just which environment is this assortment developed for. Given the OP, one would assume Alaska/far northern situations. I would tweak the contents a bit for the arid Southwest, especially for different seasons and elevations.

My minimal FAK would be an elastic bandage,so I would get one in the bottle somehow, perhaps even ditching the vitamins and ibuprofen

#274434 - 03/04/15 07:05 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have built some survival kits based on a water bottle before. I agree that the best thing to put in a water bottle is water, but it is a good container. I would include something like this:
Sea to Summit Day pack

the older model packs even smaller

Or:

Kiva Key Chain Backpack

If you can find it anymore.

Just to have somewhere to transfer everything when you do put water in the bottle.

I do prefer the stainless steel single wall water bottles as well. They do fit in the same pockets as the plastic Nalgene bottles, and inside the space saver cups. Just more capable and allow use in a fire. I have several.

#274435 - 03/04/15 08:31 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Good adds/changes. I usually carry a Glock 22, occasionally a Taurus 445. If I am on expedition, it is a Ruger Super Redhawk.

Great arsenal!

With the tongue depressor, the idea was to have duct tape (or gorilla tape) on one end, the Dacron line in the middle, and the electrical tape on the other end. Sometimes Gorilla tape is too much of a good thing. Having both gives me more options.

I have the exact same "wrapped on a stick" tape/fishing line holder setup. The point is that the wooden tongue depressor (TD) is almost useless bulk and weight. The hack saw blade, on the other hand, is a very versatile piece to work with, or to work upon with the multitool (shape it to whatever you need to improvise, like a spring, plastic cutter, key, lock pick...), and it is in the same shape as TD - still suitable for nice tape wrapping, if you just hide its teeth. It is also easily removable from that sleeve, no need to unwrap the tape, and you can use the taped sleeve as a handle for the saw for a closeup work.

Using a regular bic lighter with cold hands in windy environment proved more difficult than the turbo.

Surely, windproof lighter is much easier to operate when it works. But it has way more points of breakage and malfunction than a regular Bic. So, I would definitely consider a secondary fire making tool. The simple open flame sources (think matches) use is indeed not an easy skill to master. But I'm a former avid smoker, "trained" for 20 years in most harsh Siberian and Mongolian environments to succeed with just that on a hourly basis smile

By the way, my ultimate survival torch lighter is the pen sized soldering iron with the spark wheel ignition on a separating cap (the soldering tip is removable). But probably that's an overkill for a bottle kit.

Edited by Alex (03/04/15 09:24 PM)
Edit Reason: By the way...

#274436 - 03/04/15 08:48 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

The point of a bottle is to have everything you might depend on in a compact slick protective container, which you can effortlessly toss into whatever bag you are taking with you on a potentially dangerous trip. Many bags even have a dedicated mesh pocket for such a bottle. If you need the bottle for water - just empty the survival content into that bag or into your pockets (hence the volume of the bottle limit) and fill with water. Water sources is not an issue in Alaska.

#274437 - 03/04/15 10:36 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: Alex]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

I should, probably, decipher my EMDI - "electromagnetic devices improvisation" concept a bit more for clarity. That's a simple applied physics knowledge implementation for a survival situation with very simple tools and materials. Essentially, all you need is a long enough conductor, a powerful magnet, and an electric power source. Also the "right" flashlight, besides the battery (the power source), provides an electrical switch and a "visual indicator" (lamp of sorts) as well. You will be amazed of how many survival essentials you could improvise or enhance with that stuff, complementing a typical personal survival kit (aluminum foil is very important in it). From an electric conductivity, voltage, or current detector (to check and fix other electrical things) - to simple automation (like a security fence), or even a radio... In addition to that, I'm also carrying in my BOB and GHB several tiny 0.5Amp solid state DC voltage regulators (for different voltages conversion), tiny AC-DC rectifier (4 diodes in one casing), 4 solar film sheets the size of two playing cards stacked on the long side each (as light detectors and power generators), and a hunk of thin nichrome wire - for even more advanced EMDI projects.

#274438 - 03/04/15 11:30 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
... and a bag (gallon ziplock?) to put all your stuff in when you want to use the water bottle!!?? I picture someone in trouble dumping their critical gear in the dirt - at night - when they need to collect water. Oh, which reminds me - some kind of tubing or a bandanna to suck up water from tiny cracks or puddles or morning dew - depending on where you are. Maybe you could tear off some clothing instead.

On a slightly different focus ... since they are so stinkin' cheap today ... and tough ... and relatively small ... I just don't understand the concept of a kit without a PLB.

Of course that doesn't mean you won't have to "survive" until help arrives ... and it increases the need to be "findable".

That said, I like the original kit and the ideas posted. I would tend to carry two large plastic bags - just for flexibility, and I would work hard to make them bright orange (maybe get some through the local highway cleanup folks). Its about being "findable".

To me the light you carry is as much about being findable at night (not leaving it on all the time, but being able to point and wave it when you hear rescuers.

I focus on shelter (usually under-equipped for), warmth, water, basic first aid ... the stuff it takes to hunker down for several days waiting for rescue. A lot depends on the local current weather (night & day), the vegetation (I'd be a mess in a desert - no personal experience there), and the land (water sources).

#274440 - 03/04/15 11:56 PM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: benjammin]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
1. Medical- wound cover, tape
2. Shelter- heatsheet bivy
3. Fire- two to three ways to make fire
4. Hydration- chlorine dioxide tablets, water container
5. Communication- whistle, cell phone
6. Navigation- button compass, light
7. Nutrition- something dense with calories
8. Insulation- fire and shelter might keep warm enough, closed cell foam
9. Sun Protection- could use shelter as drape
10. Tools- knife

Edited by jshannon (03/04/15 11:57 PM)

#274441 - 03/05/15 03:09 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: jshannon]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

In Alaska...

Snow peak 700 cup
Izula
Pocket Sierra Saw
Bic Mini
Tinder Quik
Orion rescue flare
Some sort of kindling (fuel tab or finger length sticks of fatwood)
Chlorine Dioxide Tablets
Mossie Headnet
Bug Dope

You can just distribute the contents in your pockets when you need to use the bottle, no biggie.

Edited by Burncycle (03/05/15 03:14 AM)

#274442 - 03/05/15 03:36 AM Re: Minimalist kit? [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: KenK

On a slightly different focus ... since they are so stinkin' cheap today ... and tough ... and relatively small ... I just don't understand the concept of a kit without a PLB.

Please define "stinkin'cheap" and tell me where you are buying them. The cheapest ACR unit at REI lists for $280, and of course my tender little body is worth far more(and yours, as well!), but the price isn't anywhere what I would call cheap.,

Spot units are off the table. I simply have no confidence in their reliability.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.