Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#273148 - 12/05/14 06:02 PM Re: A pot. [Re: TeacherRO]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
My 2 cents from the EDC perspective.
For many years I'm EDCing in my business suit jacket's inner pocket a cheap stainless steel flask, nicely cut off wide open at the very top.

It is stuffed with disposable plastic rain poncho wrapped around inexpensive 8 Amp hour LiPO battery USB phone charger with glass solar panel on the side, and a tiny AC/DC USB converter on the bottom of the flask. The flask body protects and organizes the fragile equipment and takes virtually no space by itself at all. In emergency it is easy to almost double its capacity simply prying on the concave sidewall outwards, making it a wide mouth SS cup. That makes a way better boiling vessel than anything you could rig from the classic aluminum foil EDC piece. The only caveat - it is noticeably heavier than a piece of foil smile

#273994 - 01/27/15 03:40 AM Re: A pot. [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I added a second metal cup to my GHB/ Day hike kit this winter - an over-sized tin mug with foil lid, in addition to the cup in my army surplus canteen kit. We had so much snow last year, that I wanted more capacity to melt and boil it for drinking water. It weighs almost nothing, and I nested my alcohol stove and fuel inside it so that it takes up very little extra space.

Of course, we haven't had much snow this year so it hasn't been an issue, but it's nice to know it's there, and it's got me thinking of new bushcraft meals to fire up the next time I find time to get out there.

And on that topic - I've also added a small tin can to use with that kit for baking. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#274085 - 02/02/15 08:35 PM Re: A pot. [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd also like to have a bigger pot handy for boiling water more than a quart at a time.

#274108 - 02/03/15 05:43 PM Re: A pot. [Re: TeacherRO]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I'm often car camping with my telescope and have to operate in a total darkness throughout the entire night (I'm also selecting specific locations far from any artificial lights, and days around the New Moon, so it's really dark at night and the flashlight is a big taboo). So, the best pot for me is a cheap 2 quart SS teapot with a whistle accompanied by the Coleman's single burner attachment to a regular gas canister. It's much more convenient, fast, and safe for my typical "dissolve in the boiling water" cooking style compared to any pot. When I'm running it at night I'm wearing sunglasses smile

#274411 - 03/03/15 03:45 PM Re: A pot. [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
camerono Offline

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
If I could carry only three things in my neck of the woods, they would be:

medium sized blade
pot
fire starter

I have some sort of pot in each bag and vehicle.

+1

#274413 - 03/03/15 03:57 PM Re: A pot. [Re: Russ]
camerono Offline

Originally Posted By: Russ
Yeah but... the titanium Sierra cup comes with a lid -- Vargo - Ti Sierra 750 Cup
OTOH I've never been fond of the Sierra cup ergonomics, maybe just didn't give it enough time. What is it that makes the Sierra cup so popular?

Also the Vargo Titanium Bot nests a nalgene perfectly. It has a sealed lid for liquid carry as well. http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-bot-bottle-pot.html#.VPXWR1XF9Ko

#274414 - 03/03/15 04:10 PM Re: A pot. [Re: camerono]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: camerono
Originally Posted By: Russ
Yeah but... the titanium Sierra cup comes with a lid -- Vargo - Ti Sierra 750 Cup
OTOH I've never been fond of the Sierra cup ergonomics, maybe just didn't give it enough time. What is it that makes the Sierra cup so popular?

Also the Vargo Titanium Bot nests a nalgene perfectly. It has a sealed lid for liquid carry as well. http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-bot-bottle-pot.html#.VPXWR1XF9Ko

eek A hunderd bucks eek

Doesn't look like a good pot either. Heat transfer wise, a wide base is generally more efficient...

#274415 - 03/03/15 07:02 PM Re: A pot. [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is so thoughtful of manufacturers to provide us with a variety of options at widely ranging prices. Just remember that as the size of the item diminishes,the weight savings of titanium vs. stainless steel becomes quite small. It might not be worth the added cost of ti.

My preferred solution is a stainless steel, 16 oz. cup with folding handle (several brands) which will hold either a one liter Nalgene (if I want the capacity) or a one quart recycled sport drink bottle (lighter weight and cost). This has worked fine for solo or emergency use for me.

Edited by hikermor (03/04/15 03:20 PM)

#276733 - 09/21/15 07:32 PM Re: A pot. [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Success in adding pots to my kits - especially bigger kits. I went mostly with camping cook sets. (And added towels, sports, mugs and matches to them.) Now I can boil water, make soup or oatmeal, etc

#276740 - 09/21/15 09:34 PM Re: A pot. [Re: TeacherRO]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
and it appears it only took you 8 months! laugh

Well, I have to admit, I didn't get my vast collection overnight either. Timing and happenstance seem to prevail in acquisitions. Most of the time I by something I didn't even know I needed until I see it for the first time. Is that what's called impulse buying?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.