Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#274393 - 03/01/15 04:20 PM Mixing kerosene and home heating fuel
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
I have a portable indoor kero heater which I haven't used in years because of all the junk it puts into the air. Because of several recent power failures, I've been thinking about some emergency kero. I know that kero has a shelf life, so I would want to rotate it. I also know that it has a lower boiling temp and is lighter in weight than #2 heating fuel.

My question: Rather than burn off or dump old kero, could I add small quantities (15 - 20 gallons) to my home heating oil tank?

Are there safety or furnace performance issues?

#274395 - 03/01/15 06:08 PM Re: Mixing kerosene and home heating fuel [Re: brandtb]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Personally, I would consult the furnace manufacturer's documentation and the company that supplies your heating oil. There may be corrosion inhibitors, anti-gum or anti-separation compounds, etc. in the heating oil that you don't want to dilute too much.

Alternatively, advertise and sell it. Somebody will grab it at a discount for temporary heat (in a greenhouse, for example).

BTW, I recall reading about low odour kero somewhere. Probably less sulfur and other odds-and-ends. Might be more pleasant than the old-school stuff.

#274400 - 03/02/15 12:04 AM Re: Mixing kerosene and home heating fuel [Re: dougwalkabout]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Personally, I would consult the furnace manufacturer's documentation and the company that supplies your heating oil. There may be corrosion inhibitors, anti-gum or anti-separation compounds, etc. in the heating oil that you don't want to dilute too much.

+1

Many years ago I was told that there is nozzle inside the furnace that turns the liquid oil into a fine mist that will burn as quickly and completely as possible to produce as much heat as possible (thus being most efficient) and producing the least soot and other undesirable products like carbon monoxide(which result from incomplete burning).

Reducing the soot also helps maintain the system and reduces the chance of a fire. (think of something like a chimney fire, but in the furnace.)Carbon monoxide dangers are obvious.

That nozzle is specifically designed to work with a particular oil of given characteristics.

If you blend the oil with the Kerosene, the resulting mixture will have different characteristics and may not burn correctly or efficiently in your furnace and cause any or all of the mentioned problems.

I don't think it is worth the risk.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.