The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#274374 - 02/28/15 01:13 PM Emergency contact disc for your car
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Here in the UK we have a special road tax for cars, and we were given a tax disc which we had to stick to the wind-shield so that police could visually check that the tax had been paid for any vehicle they encountered. Now the police have bought a computer, and as of last October we don't need to show the tax disc any more. Hence:

Replace your tax disc with an Emergency Contact Disc to provide vital information for first responders at medical emergencies or road traffic collisions.

More details here. The idea is that stuck to the wind-shield it will be easier to access than something in your wallet. The disc is folded so that specific information is hidden; you need to get into the car and retrieve the disc to see anything confidential.

I'm not entirely sure it's worth doing, but if it is then it's also worth doing outside of the UK.

#274382 - 02/28/15 05:28 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Brangdon]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Not sure if this a great thing or not. If someone can link the car to you and your address, so can the thief whom broke in to your car and possibly steal your house keys if you left them in in there.

Besides my windscreen can be pretty crowded; Car parking sticker, German environment sticker, Swiss Vignet, sometimes the Austrian Vignet (or two!) and satnav.

Could be even more, I still take the toll boot for the frensh Péage instead of getting the transponder which fits on you windscreen.

#274386 - 02/28/15 08:12 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Brangdon]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
IMO, two license plates is enough for ER identification. They have that procedure established for a long time. I'd rather get a neck tag with some data on it for myself.

#274402 - 03/02/15 01:09 AM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Brangdon]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
if nothing else this is food for thought.when i drive our second car the only ID is the wallet in my pocket.
something the rescue crew could see to find out who i am while they are prying the car apart to get to me would be a big help for the medics.

#274404 - 03/02/15 03:57 AM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
How would first responders know that the person they are treating is the individual described on the sticker,especially if there are multiple victims....??

#274406 - 03/02/15 09:48 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Brangdon]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I wear a dog tag.
Simple, inexpensive, and not required.

#274407 - 03/02/15 10:16 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: unimogbert]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In my experience, identity and blood type of the victim is not the first priority on scene, especially if the victim is unresponsive or incoherent. I understand that before administering whole blood or its derivatives, they will determine blood type - it doesn't take long. Perhaps someone with current experience can comment.

#274416 - 03/03/15 09:29 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: hikermor]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
, identity and blood type of the victim is not the first priority on scene,

My dog tag does not have that info as it's not a military tag. Looks like one but had it made at an outdoor supplies store. Full name, SSN, contact phone # and 'no drug allergies'
(Have to guard it carefully because of the SSN.)

I initially bought it as a motorcycling precaution. Then started using it while hiking (good place to attach a whistle as well). Now wear it because of my long daily commute in all kinds of weather and it'll be a lot easier to find in the wreckage than my wallet might be.

#274418 - 03/04/15 03:37 AM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: Brangdon]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
I currently wear a "dog tag" made by the Verbatim company that has an integrated 16 GB USB drive. The "dog tag" looks like analog predecessor at first glance but on closer inspection you can see the USB drive.
I have placed an open file that gives basis pertinent emergency information and contacts on the drive in Word 2003 as well as encrypted files with other necessary information in case SHTF. A wide variety of information is included such as family members medical history and Rx information. Vehicle information, photos and a myriad of other data is included. In a post disaster environment, if a working computer that runs Windows can be found I should have the information I need for any urgent problems.
I have no association with the Verbatim company except as a customer.

#274447 - 03/05/15 07:19 PM Re: Emergency contact disc for your car [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
if nothing else this is food for thought.when i drive our second car the only ID is the wallet in my pocket.
something the rescue crew could see to find out who i am while they are prying the car apart to get to me would be a big help for the medics.

I have to tell you, as an EMT x 8 years, I really didn't care who you were. I sure as heck didn't care what blood type you were, or who your ICE contact was.

Now at the hospital it might be useful, mainly for medication or allergy information. Or, ultimately, who to contact to pick you up.

Oh, and MOST hospitals in the US use your date of birth, not your SSN, as your second patient identifier. Might be worth tossing that dog tag and getting one that has your DOB.

Edited by MDinana (03/05/15 07:20 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.