Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#274251 - 02/18/15 04:56 PM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks - very worthwhile remarks.I guess this may mean we can't just buy the latest technological marvel stick it in our pocket, and expect that everything will be just fine.

#274255 - 02/18/15 09:50 PM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: Tjin]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Tjin
looks like a experienced outdoors person.
In my experience there are a few kinds of persons who will go out despite bad weather forcast:
- People with time and/or money contrains. Do it now or wait/save up for another year.
- Setting your self up for succes type of persons. 'The we, go out despite bad weather forcasts and see how the weather actually is on sight and determine if you turn around or not'......
- A little bad weather means less congestion on populair routes, ....
In all cases, beter get a good bail out plan and bring proper equipment. I do not know her, the area or the weather forcast, but I do get why people do not abord plans when the weather forcast turn bad.
Good points.

Another common reason for intentionaly going out in severe weather is for training oneself, and testing equipement in preparation for a major expedition to one of the big peaks of the world. Judging from various articles about her, Ms Matrosova was a very active climber and treker. I don't know anything about the area, but it sounds like she was planning a solo winter traverse of several peaks in one day, which sounds like a very stout agenda. It is possible that this was planned as a training trip, but things spun out of control.

As usual, we don't have a lot of information, so much of this thread is pure speculation. It will be interesting to see if this event gets written up in the next edition of "Accidents in North American Mountaineering". That volume is published yearly by the American Alpine Club, and usually has some very informed analysis, often by participants in the rescue.

#274257 - 02/19/15 04:17 AM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
100 mph winds is not "a little bad weather".

#274258 - 02/19/15 07:47 AM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: GoatRider]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: GoatRider
100 mph winds is not "a little bad weather".

From the limited info we have, it doesn't appear that it was 100 mph wind when she started the traverse. My impression was that the extreme winds came after she was already up there.

#274259 - 02/19/15 09:03 AM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sometimes knowing when to turn back and retreat of the hill triumphs the idea of pushing on with the 'Mountain Rescue will get me out of here if I need to push the button' idea. Sometimes getting down of the hill came be more tricky than going up it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T7YlbqHelI

#274260 - 02/19/15 04:59 PM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I'm glad to see the evenhanded comments on this thread. We don't have solid info on the deceased's outdoor background but she certainly didn't seem like the stereotypical tourist who, for example, hikes out in Death Valley in flipflops with 0.5 liters of water.

I suspect it's like Tjin and AKSAR say: she was basically qualified for the adventure but rolled the dice and lost with the weather. She may not have had enough experience in gale force winds to appreciate how debilitating they can be. It's what you "don't know that you don't know" that gets you.

Many of us here at ETS have surely danced a little close to the edge regarding uncontrollable factors like weather and came out OK. I know that there were plenty of times over the years where I could have gotten the short straw, and I'm by no means reckless.

#274285 - 02/22/15 03:19 PM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas

#274286 - 02/22/15 05:33 PM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: jshannon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Thank you for sharing this really exceptional account, with much more information than the usual news account. How close have any of us come to the line this lady crossed?

#274287 - 02/22/15 06:20 PM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I know I have crossed it a few times, but as a military necessity. I do know my limits.

#274289 - 02/22/15 08:48 PM Re: A Distress Beacon Isn't the Same As Dialing 911 [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Thank you for sharing this really exceptional account, with much more information than the usual news account. How close have any of us come to the line this lady crossed?

Thats hard to say. I know my limits and try to avoid really bad weather. But I have goten back to mountain huts cold and miserable. Was i close to that line. Don't know. Also had white out conditions when skiing. If I went to the wrong direction I would ended up in the national park side of the mountain in white out storm conditions. Thankfull I went the right way. I sort of found a ski piste. A face plant helped me orientate enough to figure out i was skiing next to the piste the hole time in the highest avalanch danger...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.