Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#274117 - 02/04/15 12:16 PM Re: Washington D C Metro Evac [Re: acropolis5]
Quietly_Learning Offline

I have ridden the metro north trains while traveling in NY for work. The trains have emergency exit windows. There are handles attached to removable rubber gaskets. You pull the handles down removing the gaskets and then the window pops out allowing you to escape. I hope to never have to try it because it is a good distance to jump out of the window to the ground even if you try to hang down before letting go.

The accident occurred in Valhalla NY.

The reports I've heard were that the driver stopped on the tracks because there was traffic ahead and the approaching train arm went down onto her car. She got out of the car to check for damage and then got back into the car and drove forward and was hit by the oncoming train.

Do I even need to say never stop on train tracks or try to beat an oncoming train or does this accident speak for itself?

For anyone who may be a new driver: if your car breaks down on the tracks and you need to get out and run away you should always run in the direction towards the train as the impact will push the vehicle further down the tracks and you can be injured while eacaping.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/02/03/m...on-harlem-line/

#274121 - 02/04/15 07:55 PM Re: Washington D C Metro Evac [Re: Quietly_Learning]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
I have ridden the metro north trains while traveling in NY for work. The trains have emergency exit windows. There are handles attached to removable rubber gaskets. You pull the handles down removing the gaskets and then the window pops out allowing you to escape. I hope to never have to try it because it is a good distance to jump out of the window to the ground even if you try to hang down before letting go.

According to the news, the collision was at the crossing near Taconic State Parkway and Commerce St. Google maps had a street view of both the intersection and the railroad crossing. The intersection is controlled by a light, and there are gates, limit lines, and lights at the railroad crossing.

The latest news report I'd that the jeep was stuck on the tracks when it got hit. It appears she stopped on or past the limit line, and then tried to drive clear around traffic on the unpaved tracks adjacent to the crossing. I can see how it's possible to get stuck on those. So there were two errors: stopping on the tracks, and not abandoning the vehicle when it got stuck.

I did have to pull out the emergency widows on an Amtrak train a couple of years ago. The rubber strip pulls out in one long loop that required going hand over hand to remove out completely. And, the window then tips into the car. The window is heavy enough that it's a two person job to stow it out of the way.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#274232 - 02/17/15 02:40 AM Re: Washington D C Metro Evac [Re: Mark_R]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Quote:
So there were two errors: stopping on the tracks, and not abandoning the vehicle when it got stuck.

We'll never know, but maybe she was one of those people that would rather die trying to fix something they did wrong, rather than just save themselves. Kind of like how pilots will forcefully put a plane into the ground in an open field to avoid killing anyone else.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 269 Guests and 131 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.