Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#274062 - 01/31/15 03:55 PM Very interesting and useful book
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I think the book actually would fit in multiple categories of the forum. The title is Cooking with Fire, by Paula Marcoux. Cooking with Fire

It is very informative, instructional, and has some very good recipes. It is all about using fire in many ways to cook. However, the author is a cooking historian and former archeologist (according to the book) and has great interest in exploring the ways people have cooked through history and adapting these methods to modern materials. It goes WAY beyond just roasting over a fire.

For those that are interested. If nothing else, it can be fun in the back yard.

#274063 - 01/31/15 05:30 PM Re: Very interesting and useful book [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Written by an archaeologist,it is bound to be excellent. Goes without saying....

#274064 - 01/31/15 06:20 PM Re: Very interesting and useful book [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Written by an archaeologist,it is bound to be excellent. Goes without saying....

LOL, a little personal bias there?

#274065 - 01/31/15 09:34 PM Re: Very interesting and useful book [Re: gonewiththewind]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
As I approach retirement age, I am acquiring a few things I need for primitive cooking and canning at home and while camping. It's eye-opening what the cost of 'primitive' has been.

I added to my small black iron collection last week with a 12" Lodge Camp DO, looking for a US made pressure canner, upgrading my backyard fire pit with a steel fire ring and adjustable cast grate, and a spit and tripod.

I found the book you mentioned for $7 on Half.com and it seems a perfect fit for my aspirations, so I ordered one.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Cooking-wit...829&tg=info

I recently purchased the book 'The Wilderness Guide To Dutch Oven Cooking' by Kate Rowinski. I plan on eating my way through that book ASAP!

#274111 - 02/04/15 03:13 AM Re: Very interesting and useful book [Re: gonewiththewind]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
LOL! This book was cheaper than the new Surefire AAA flashlight so I bought it instead. Thanks, Montanero!
-Blast...who likes fire.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#274113 - 02/04/15 06:21 AM Re: Very interesting and useful book [Re: gonewiththewind]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Hey, Blast, write a quick review once you get it. I might buy it, too!

#274122 - 02/04/15 07:56 PM Re: Very interesting and useful book [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have received the book, but have not had the chance to actually try any techniques or recipes. That said, the book does look to be well organized and full of very detailed instructions for both cooking methods and recipes. The author includes many practical hints that seem to demonstrate much experience with each technique. It begins with the basics of building a fire (yes, some people out there do need that) all the way to building ovens. The sections I have read are easy to follow, make sense, and the recipes sound very good.

A note of caution: This has potential to become a new hobby, consuming time and money to build all of these cooking devices! It looks like a lot of fun in addition to being very practical from the perspective of this forum.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.