Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#274032 - 01/29/15 05:49 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
"0.59 inches in diameter"? That's driving me mad at all of the modern AAA flashlights manufacturers. The AAA cell is only 0.41". Add 0.07" (1+1 mm) for the more than supper-heavy-duty walls and you should never go over 0.5" - the Maglite Solitaire's diameter. Why everybody desperately adding so much "fat" to AAA in a simple flashlight?

(actually, I probably know the answer. Because in China they still have severe manufacturing quality problems and cannot drill the battery hole exactly centered to the body, so they are trying to reduce defective walls production increasing their thickness severely).

Edited by Alex (01/29/15 05:56 PM)
Edit Reason: some speculations added

#274033 - 01/29/15 06:14 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Alex]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

You're probably right that many "tactical" flashlights are a little overbuilt on purpose, but generally that is not a bad thing per se.

Aluminum tubing is not that strong to begin with, even with a quality alloy. A wall thickness of 1mm is pretty darn thin and will not stand up to any serious abuse. Double that thickness and you might come up with something exponentially more robust. Leave another milimeter or so to ensure proper tolerance/battery clearance and you are basically at somewhere around 0.59".

I used to EDC a Maglite Solitaire on a key chain back in the days before powerful LED lights and I was never really that impressed. Different strokes for different folks but on paper at least the new Surefire seems a pretty good all-around design, by no means too overbuilt for reasonable EDC.

Then again, I personally prefer a decent 1xAA light (I carry a Nitecore at the moment). It is a little bulkier but hardly so much as to be impractical as far as general EDC.

P.S.: Technically speaking I find it hard to believe that any remotely reputable production plant (in China or elsewhere) would have difficulty coming up with properly centered aluminum tubing.

I would expect that the flashlight body is assembled from semiproducts already finished to pretty tight specs, which is not difficult to obtain nowadays. Machine the side a little bit to remove some material for sleek design and weight reduction, add the head and cap assembly, anodize and that's pretty much it. Hardly rocket science and and a heckuva less complicated than something like an iPad ... or even an AK rifle, which the Chinese can churn out by the thousand. smile

#274034 - 01/29/15 06:24 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, the Fenix E12 I carry is a tad bigger in length and diameter, but with 2000 mah rather than 800 mah in a AAA battery.

#274035 - 01/29/15 06:59 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Tom_L]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

I have been hunting for a slick AAA LED flashlight for years, and recently found one directly from China. It looks like E12, by the way, but proportionally scaled down (and like 10 times cheaper).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161347164023?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And that's exactly where I saw obviously non-concentric drilling (just for .5mm approximately, but clearly visible, I'll make a photo when I'll get home today).

The size matters, I'm EDCing my 0.5" Solitaire with LED drop-in upgrade for like 7 years already in the Leatherman Wave holster's side "pocket". And that's a tight and smooth fit already, which I like a lot. Its thin aluminum walls are well worn, but in perfectly functional shape so far:

I would prefer AA as well, however, they are even more overbuilt and often irregularly shaped (E12 is 0.75" vs 0.57" for fattest AA).

#274036 - 01/29/15 09:11 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Alex]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Frankly, what can you expect for $2.46? That light looks really cheap to me, about the kind of junk (for lack of a better word) sold at the dollar store.

If you are specifically looking for a slim 1xAAA light, there are no doubt many better choices available. Maybe something along those lines:

http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=27
http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=26#.VMqXcy48qao

Either would meet your expectations (0.49" dia.). Not terribly expensive but a whole lot more dependable than the no-name $0.99 wonder light from eBay.

#274037 - 01/29/15 09:57 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Doug_Ritter]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

In my experience, including equipping Boy Scouts, cheap flashlights may not even get you through one campout. You don't have to spend hundreds, but a good flashlight paid for once is much better than a dozen cheap ones that fail when you need them. It just seems that cheaper flashlights are prone to rapid failure. I have never had a failure yet in a Surefire or a Fenix. Some catastrophic breakage in very extreme circumstances has occurred.

#274038 - 01/29/15 10:07 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Doug_Ritter]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
To me the whole idea of an EDC single AAA cell light is something to use to put your key into the lock at night (everyday use), or in more serious circumstances to find your real light (preferably a good headlamp). I EDC a Fenix E01. It has worked well for me. It is plenty sturdy, compact, lightweight, and the price is right.

I frankly don't see that the advantages of this Titan are worth the price, even if it is cheap relative to other Surefire products.

#274039 - 01/29/15 10:40 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: AKSAR]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

My point exactly, ASKAR. I don't plan to scout a cave with it. Also the AAA/AA primary appeal is in the simplicity of battery replacement, especially if you have standardized all your equipment to take one type already.

IMHO, the modern AA/AAA LED flashlight is extremely simple device, I don't see a reason to pay $30 for almost the same China made aluminum flashlight, which I could get for just $1, but thank you for suggestions, Tom. I definitely want to check the T5s model. So sad they don't have similar AA offerings.

#274040 - 01/30/15 04:23 AM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We are certainly fortunate to have such a wide variety of lights, with capabilities and prices to match. I carried a Solitaire for quite a time, and while it lit up dependably, it wasn't all that bright. But it was always handy, and thus very useful. What else really counts?

#274041 - 01/30/15 04:25 AM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Doug_Ritter]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Cool beans.

I've had a SureFire U2 for close to 15 years now, IIRC, and it has never failed me. I splurged ($250 at the time?) on it back in the day, much to my DW's dismay but I have dropped it dozens of times on concrete, tile and asphalt and no problems.

I recently purchased a NiteCore SRT 5 (around $100) to replace carrying the U2 wanting a slightly smaller form factor for the pocket, the light itself has been good so far and I like the built-in Red LED. Also, it uses an 18650 (or 2 CR123s) which is generally against my keep things to one battery type guiding principle but sometimes we just want to try new items.

However, the clip kept popping off and the clip was finally lost within the first week of every-day use. I wrote to NiteCore asking for a replacement two months ago and no response.

So for the reliability of SureFire and another option for standard batteries I will certainly give them a long look when they become available.

Thanks for the head's up.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.