The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#273903 - 01/25/15 02:01 AM Pocket/pack Fishing Rod
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I'm looking for a true pocket/pack fishing rod. Does anyone have any experience with one of the ultra small rods? I know the companies that make real rods have some that collapse down to about 14" that expands to a 5' plus rod. I've got a multi-piece rod that's similar. It works great & the case it came in was perfect back when I was driving a pickup. I'm looking for a much smaller setup to put in the car trunk. Think about 1" diameter by 8" long that expands to be a decent size rod.

#273916 - 01/25/15 03:37 PM Re: Pocket/pack Fishing Rod [Re: UTAlumnus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Your post prompted me to look up the Pocket Fisherman - the same gizmo that started the "As Seen on TV" products.

Amazon.com has 272 reviews for the Ronco Pocket Fisherman that are surprisingly good!! Not that I've used it myself.

I have brought along an Eagle Claw Pack-It Telescoping Rod-Reel Combo when camping with my son's Scout troop. Overall it worked quite well. I always worried about the tip getting damaged but it never did. Its as basic a setup as I can imagine - beyond the Pocket Fisherman (which gets better reviews than the telescoping rod!!)

#273919 - 01/25/15 05:13 PM Re: Pocket/pack Fishing Rod [Re: UTAlumnus]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Check out the following Rod/reel combination;

Shimano SY500FL Symetre FL Spinning Reel

Shimano Exage BX STC Mini Tele Spinning 240 Medium

Excellent for spinning, the setup is smooth and responsive but might be a little more expensive than other offerings.

#273926 - 01/25/15 08:14 PM Re: Pocket/pack Fishing Rod [Re: UTAlumnus]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Had the Ronco Pocket Fisherman as a kid in the 70's.Still have it and still use it.Just retie the hook and bobber set up.They use an overhand knot to stop the sliding bobber.This WILL snap your line.Get a bead type stop and you are good to go.The Pocket Fisherman can also work for ice fishing.Just not in really cold air.It is only a nylon tip....

BOATMAN
John

#273936 - 01/26/15 12:44 AM Re: Pocket/pack Fishing Rod [Re: boatman]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: boatman
Had the Ronco Pocket Fisherman as a kid in the 70's.Still have it and still use it.Just retie the hook and bobber set up.They use an overhand knot to stop the sliding bobber.This WILL snap your line.Get a bead type stop and you are good to go.The Pocket Fisherman can also work for ice fishing.Just not in really cold air.It is only a nylon tip....

BOATMAN
John

We also had a Ronco type Pocket Fisherman when I was young and it worked okay for smaller fish in slow streams and lakes. Nowadays if I pack a rod, it is a Shakespeare collapsible rod which is about 15" and extends to just over 6 feet. I don't think the OP will find a rod that collapses to 8 inches though without cutting the handle down.

John Lubbock

#273982 - 01/26/15 11:58 PM Re: Pocket/pack Fishing Rod [Re: UTAlumnus]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I was just commenting on the Ronco Pocket Fisherman.I would not backpack with it.It is quite heavy for what it is.Had a packable Shakespear spinning rod handle split on me.I think it was a large pike fish that did it.I am a fan of Uglisticks and found out they make one.There is a company that makes a metal rod with a coil in the middle.The coils are the line guides.I wish I could remember the name.

Boatman

Google came through.www.emmrod.com

Edited by boatman (01/27/15 12:04 AM)

#273992 - 01/27/15 03:16 AM Re: Pocket/pack Fishing Rod [Re: KenK]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

I've got a 4 or 5 piece rod similar to the Eagle Claw model. It's about 14" x 8" x thick enough for the reel with a small tackle box in the case.

What I'm looking for is something similar to this. The highest rating on Amazon is 3 1/2 stars. I'm guessing that this is optimistic and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this style of rod.

#274023 - 01/29/15 03:24 AM Re: Pocket/pack Fishing Rod [Re: ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

That sounds close to what I'm looking for! SMALL size but from a reputable rod manufacturer. I'll check the local ones out. Thanks Izzy.

#274361 - 02/27/15 07:13 PM Re: Pocket/pack Fishing Rod [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Check out the following Rod/reel combination;

Shimano SY500FL Symetre FL Spinning Reel

Shimano Exage BX STC Mini Tele Spinning 240 Medium

Excellent for spinning, the setup is smooth and responsive but might be a little more expensive than other offerings.

That's actually very similar to my setup except that I use 250 size reels, one loaded with 4# for pan fish and the other with 10# for walleye and pike. I pack it on to the side of BOB along with a medium size lure kit and keep it in the car for anytime use.

#274370 - 02/28/15 02:37 AM Re: Pocket/pack Fishing Rod (UPDATE) [Re: UTAlumnus]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Stopped by Bass Pro Shop & went with their Power Plus rod. Paired it with a spare reel that I had on hand. The brand name rods that were similar had plain metal guides. The one from Bass Pro has aluminum oxide inserts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.