Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#273967 - 01/26/15 06:48 PM Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?'
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What goes in your parka for Winter snows?

#273969 - 01/26/15 07:06 PM Re: Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?' [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Hat - I'm a big fan of the CountyComm WX Warrior Beanie, way warmer than lots of heavier hats I've tried, and wicks moisture really well

Gloves - FDT-Alpha shooting gloves in black; they don't look like shooting gloves and I can do anything firearm-related with these gloves on. If it gets really cold I replace those with heavy waterproof winter gloves.

Wool Buff

Sunglasses with microfiber wipe

With these items in my parka and appropriate footwear I'm good down to at least -15deg F.

I also keep a small box of matches, a pen, and some facial tissues in a pocket.

#273972 - 01/26/15 08:23 PM Re: Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?' [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm a fan of the Smartwool Training beanie. It packs small and can be worn by itself or under another hat. I have an Outdoor Research Peruvian Fleece hat (beanie that covers the ears) and when it's cold enough I can wear the Smartwool Training beanie under the OR Fleece hat -- nice. The OR Wind Warrior is similar but a heavier fleece and it fits tighter, not sure the thin wool beanie would fit under it.

Gloves in another pocket. I have a nice wool scarf that would work well in the NorthEast, but I haven't used it in years here.

As always I'd have a good LED flashlight with lithium primary batteries because I would expect a power outage.

BTW, listening to Fox News, the Long Island Railroad will be shutting down early tonight, 10:30-11:00PM. Looks like they want everyone home early so they can shutdown mass transit and put everything to bed early. Good idea, go home now.

#273973 - 01/26/15 08:36 PM Re: Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?' [Re: TeacherRO]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
My everyday Winter Coat is a Carhartt Active Jacket. This coat is good down to about 0F, holds out the wind well and doesn't weigh a ton. I have one of their Artic Extremes, but unless it's like -20F outside, it's just too much/too heavy.

Jacket has a great hood, but I also stuff I Beanie into one of it's pockets, a buff into the inside pocket and a good pair of Carhartt winter gloves into the other.

I have a pair of Columbia waterproof/insulated hikers that are rated down to like -20F, and if I know I might get caught outside for a while, I have a pair of fleece lined jeans I can use as well.

Cell Phone, Multi-tool rounds out the rest.

#273974 - 01/26/15 09:32 PM Re: Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?' [Re: RNewcomb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Refer to the The lowly battery-operated radio thread. The storm getting ready to hit the NorthEast is a good reason to have a small battery operated radio in your pocket. I've got the Sony ICF-S10Mk2, but the one in the para below is smaller and has the 7 NOAA channels.

I like the looks of the Small Radio (orange) that CountyComm markets; it's the same radio that Kaito markets as the KA210 (black w/ silver and blue OOS) -- a NOAA/AM/FM radio that runs on 2xAA batteries. I really like that this radio and the LED flashlight in your other pocket will run on the same batteries -- shared spares.

The way they're hyping this storm on FoxNews you'd maybe get the idea that Shep lives in NYC.

#273981 - 01/26/15 11:41 PM Re: Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?' [Re: TeacherRO]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I wear a Carhartt Arctic Extreme anda lighter inner coat or hoodie.Aside from keys and such other EDC its a wool watch cap(Navy issue) and glove inserts.I also carry my instant fire bundle as discussed in an older thread.I also have instant heat packs (Hothands) and buy new ones each year.

BOATMAN
John

#273991 - 01/27/15 03:02 AM Re: Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?' [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
For a regular day, like going to the office?

<<<<< That's me a few winters ago, having a blast playing in the snow at -25C

Note: I have a thyroid condition that makes me sensitive to the cold, and I work in an unheated warehouse, which can get a might chilly, and I commute through rural areas to get to work. I love the winter, and would trade a +30C day for a -30C day anytime, but I also believe that "There's no such thing as bad weather, just poor choices in clothing." wink
-Thank you WoodsWalker from Zombie Squad for this quote!

I start by wearing lots of polyester and wool layers, including unders and bra, silk long john top and bottoms, a poly-wool blend long sleeved shirt, a fleece or wool sweater and a fleece jacket. Finish with thick merino wool socks and thin silk liner socks (if it's really cold,) buff (on head or neck), poly-wool blend balaclava (usually worn as a hat - olive on one side, flo orange on the other) winter gloves or mitts (either wool-fleece mom mitts or gloves with nylon on the outside and fleece on the inside, with micro-fleece liner, good down to about -39C, in my experience) synthetic weather-proof outer shell with hood, winter boots and sunglasses. (Usually my -30C insulated rubber boots, but sometimes my MEGA warm snowmobile boots if I expect to be less active.)

My pockets are stuffed with a small wallet, (with personal ID, bank card, cash and coins and a family photo) a tube of SPF lip balm, a cotton buff, an extra pair of liner gloves, and my keyring, which has a key fob with 3 days of meds, mini bic, ferro rod, small folding knife, LED, and whistle.

EDIT: And my iPhone 5. "I will not forget to charge my phone. I will not forget to charge my phone. I will not forget to charge my phone." LOL!

I always take a water with me, (small metal Kleen Kanteen bottle) and carry my EDC purse with me if I go somewhere to go shopping or for a short easy walk, or to carpool, etc. And if I'm off-roading or going on a roadtrip, I grab my day hike kit, which is also my GHB and goes with me on every drive and hike. That should keep me comfy for 2 or 3 days in the deep freeze. laugh

Edited by bacpacjac (01/27/15 03:13 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#273995 - 01/27/15 03:41 AM Re: Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?' [Re: TeacherRO]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

Suntan lotion. It's GREAT to live in Texas.
laugh laugh laugh
-Blast, watching the news and laughing.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#273997 - 01/27/15 03:57 AM Re: Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?' [Re: Blast]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

Suntan lotion. It's GREAT to live in Texas.
laugh laugh laugh
-Blast, watching the news and laughing.

Same here. I live in Canada where it is supposed to be cold. Today we hit 66F at around 1:30 pm. By 3:45 pm, it was still 62F. Not complaining one bit. Winter wear today consisted of a t-shirt and light weight pants.

John Lubbock

#274004 - 01/27/15 06:41 PM Re: Its Blizzard time - What's your 'coat carry?' [Re: TeacherRO]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Quote:
I live in Canada where it is supposed to be cold. Today we hit 66F at around 1:30 pm. By 3:45 pm, it was still 62F. Not complaining one bit. Winter wear today consisted of a t-shirt and light weight pants.

Native Coloradoan here. I always have the following in my coat pockets, and stow it someplace nearby even when we're having a deceptively warm day like today. (72F/22C)

*Modified Bic lighter, regular size, in tiny ziploc bag (modded for frozen, fumbling -- or in my case, small -- fingers. See this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKhDr3XonOM

*Chemical footwarmer packets, i.e., Hothands (2) I bring footwarmers instead of handwarmers in case I need to warm up someone's feet. (Although I've used duct tape on handwarmers in a pinch)

*Extra gloves

*Extra cash

*EDC/mini emergency kit: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840 (It's been updated quite a bit since I posted this version, but you get the idea.)

*Lip balm

*Fox40 whistle -- NOTE: The other day when I was hiking to Dream Lake, I was extremely glad I wore my whistle around my neck instead of in my coat pocket, as I wasn't wearing snowshoes and suddenly the snow crust on the trail broke through, leaving me stuck in snow up to my elbows while my unknowing friends traipsed on ahead. I managed to get out on my own, but it was nice to know that I could've whistled for help.

*iPhone, fully charged. Not always great for getting calls out in the mountains, but useful for e-books and other info.

--M

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.