Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#273898 - 01/24/15 05:13 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: tomfaranda]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for the informative video. I like the concept, especially since I wear a watch anyway, but the prices are way too high. Someone will make a cheaper knockoff version.

The new multi-tool looks intriguing ...

#273899 - 01/24/15 08:52 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most of what I use my multi for is the blade, pliers and screwdrivers...this lacks 2/3 of those. My vote - gimmick

#273908 - 01/25/15 04:10 AM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I would think they would have a slot that would accept the tools in the Bit Kit assemblage. That would be quite useful.

#273941 - 01/26/15 02:39 AM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

What is the MSRP for the Signal? It has some intriguing features so that it might replace my Wave for outdoor pursuits. The MSRP for the Tread has tempered my initial enthusiasm. I will probably wait for a knockoff watch band. The cost of the Tread would be better spent on a PLB (or two).

I have carried a Ltool for the last thirty years and I have benefited numerous times, but the original PST was really fine. With modularity and a locking knife blade, at no great increase in weight or bulk, it would approach perfection. It is still my tool of choice in some situations.

#273944 - 01/26/15 06:47 AM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The Signal has an MSRP of $120 according to http://www.leatherman.com/832262.html. That's mighty spendy. It's not clear to me why I would carry that instead of a Wave or a Surge.

#273950 - 01/26/15 12:54 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
If the idea of the Tread was to have a multi-tool without a knife, that's already been done with the LM Fuse. At $600 in black with a watch, it's certainly not the everyman's solution.

The Signal has too many trade-offs for my liking (including trading $120 for it in the first place). The sharpener is poorly attached. The ferro rod/whistle combination replaces the secondary blade, and there is no way that tiny whistle could be heard in the woods on a windy day. The big issue for me is the plastic handle. I don't doubt that it is strong and functions well under laboratory conditions. I'm pretty sure though, that my Wave handle will not melt if I accidentally drop it in the fire and have to find a stick to fish it out.

I guess that if you build a bombproof product like a Wave or Surge etc, you are hard-pressed to keep sales up. I am a huge LM fan, but I haven't bought anything from them for a while...I already have what I need, and those items could last a lifetime.

#273955 - 01/26/15 03:44 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I guess that if you build a bombproof product like a Wave or Surge etc, you are hard-pressed to keep sales up. I am a huge LM fan, but I haven't bought anything from them for a while...I already have what I need, and those items could last a lifetime.

I strongly suspect that is the reason why Leatherman keeps introducing new, possibly inferior but certainly more 'gimmicky' designs. It's hard to improve on the good old workhorse multitools.

Still, I can't quite figure out why they don't try to introduce minor improvements that would actually make sense. I would love a more modular construction that could be customized by the owner without too much hassle.

The possibility of upgrading the existing tools, particularly the knife blade, with something better (154CM or better steels) would be welcome, too. The knife blades on my good old Wave aren't that great. I would definitely be willing to spend a few $ for an upgrade blade with better edge holding etc.

#273958 - 01/26/15 05:31 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Tom_L]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Upgrading and tweaking multitools sounds like a promising business model. Is there anyone who does this?

#273960 - 01/26/15 05:40 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: haertig]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: haertig
p.s. - If you look at Leathermans watch face in the picture, you can see how they tried to make it streamlined and cool looking. See how the crystal appears to bulge outwards from the watch case? Cool looking, but horrible for real life. That crystal would be so scratched and chipped in practical use, with nothing to protect it. The better watches protect the crystal with the case, Leatherman appears to want to protect the case with the crystal, a non-workable and poor design choice.

According to their description, they will be using a sapphire crystal. Based on my experience, the watch should be plenty tough.

I'm pretty hard on watches. My watch faces always get marked up, and in the past few years I've broken 2 crystals. While my last purchase was a Bertucci which does protect the crystal with the case design, I also have a watch with a more standard design & a sapphire crystal which sees a lot of use and is still without blemish after years of use.

Based on this watch, I'm sold on the worth of the sapphire crystal (you do pay a premium for one).

#273964 - 01/26/15 06:20 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
SOG sell the components of their multitools, so you can replace & modify them.

http://www.txtoolcrafters.com/ do some mods, like putting in damascus blades... but bit geared towards bling for my liking.

Edited by Ren (01/26/15 06:20 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.