Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273939 - 01/26/15 02:08 AM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I 'm not using iodine but aquapure tablets. I still think the powdered flavoring may help increase the palatability of chemically treated water.

#273947 - 01/26/15 08:50 AM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: Teslinhiker]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Who in this day and age still uses Iodine to treat water? I have not seen anyone in at least 15 years carry Iodine. There are much better modern alternatives out there such as Aquatabs, Kataydn Micropur and Pristine CLO2 to name a few. Of these, I have personally used Aquatab to treat untold numbers of bottles of water.

If anyone insists on still using Iodine, consider getting some Nuun electrolyte replacement tablets to mask the Iodine taste. These tablets are usually packaged in a vial of 12 and in different fruit flavors.

I'm fully converted to filters. Too much non-biological junk in the water and no chemcial taste.

I do still have two bottles of polarpure wrapped in allumnium foil and mylar in storage for emergencies. (that stuff eats through regular ziplocs and mylar bags).

#273951 - 01/26/15 01:30 PM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: wildman800]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
What's nice about chlorine dioxide tablets is that you can always have them with you. On a day hike where we're carrying our own water, I won't usually bring a filter.

#273954 - 01/26/15 03:31 PM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: wildman800]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I like chlorine tablets for convenience, too. But keep in mind they don't help much against chemical pollutants. Though to be honest, neither does boiling or most other conventional methods other than quality filters.

A little off topic but I have experimented lately with the Lifestraw:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeStraw

Interesting concept and seems to work well so far. Should be pretty effective at what it does if the advertised info can be trusted. In any case, it comes in a fairly compact package and the water tastes just fine.

#273956 - 01/26/15 04:24 PM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: Tom_L]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
I like chlorine tablets for convenience, too. But keep in mind they don't help much against chemical pollutants. Though to be honest, neither does boiling or most other conventional methods other than quality filters.

Absolutely right. As I understand it, ceramic filters won't eliminate chemical impurities without other filter elements.

#273957 - 01/26/15 05:28 PM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What "quality filters" are effective for chemicals - which chemicals?

#273963 - 01/26/15 06:02 PM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: Teslinhiker]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Who in this day and age still uses Iodine to treat water? I have not seen anyone in at least 15 years carry Iodine. There are much better modern alternatives out there such as Aquatabs, Kataydn Micropur and Pristine CLO2 to name a few. Of these, I have personally used Aquatab to treat untold numbers of bottles of water.

If anyone insists on still using Iodine, consider getting some Nuun electrolyte replacement tablets to mask the Iodine taste. These tablets are usually packaged in a vial of 12 and in different fruit flavors.

The EU banned the sale of Iodine for water treatment purposes in 2009.

#273971 - 01/26/15 07:28 PM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: hikermor]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

A very fine mesh nano membrane in combination with an activated carbon filter should remove a high percentage of many common pesticides and toxic heavy metals (lead, cadmium, strontium, uranium...).

I've used Lifesaver (the bottle version), which is supposedly among the more effective portable filters. Silverline also makes similar products, some portable and some intended for home/stationary use.

#273978 - 01/26/15 11:14 PM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: wildman800]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Hikermor, I have one of these, but I have not used it yet:

Renovo Water

It claims to be able to do some chemicals, and has easily replaceable components. I just need time to research the normal contaminants in the ground water in our area, and a lab that is willing to test for me without charging an arm and a leg.

#273983 - 01/26/15 11:58 PM Re: For chemically purified water ... [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Who in this day and age still uses Iodine to treat water?

Not my first choice, but the Coghlans version is still available, even in little stores in very out of the way places. It's the two-step set, so no need for iced tea crystals. I was waxing nostalgic, sort of. crazy

Why would that matter? Well, I've seen a few situations where the ability to augment my mini-kit would be worthwhile. This includes work situations where a field office job morphs into remote site visits without warning. Fortunately the chlorine tabs are also increasingly available.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.