Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#273870 - 01/23/15 03:50 PM Lightning Hazards
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This article struck my fancy- http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2900 .

Pertinent to many of us in lightning country.

#273871 - 01/23/15 04:03 PM Re: Lightning Hazards [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good find.

#273893 - 01/24/15 03:56 AM Re: Lightning Hazards [Re: hikermor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
When I was a Boy Scout leader I had to take training on weather hazards. I started carrying a NOAA weather alert radio, but the threat of lightening continued to bug me. The radio would give me sufficient warning about storms (high winds, tornado, ...) to get the boys to a shelter, but I felt it didn't really provide sufficient warning about lighting strikes.

I finally bought a StrikeAlert lightening detector - a pretty slick device. With the lightening detector I felt that I could reasonably allow the troop to "weather" moderate storms. The detector could give me enough real-time warning that I could load the boys into cars (most of our camping was pretty close to cars).

Now that my Scouting days are done and retirement is in view I plan on bringing the lightening detector with me when out on lakes.

#273900 - 01/25/15 12:43 AM Re: Lightning Hazards [Re: hikermor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Due to my various life experiences, I am afraid I have used up all my lightning Karma. One of the reasons I live in Anchorage now is there are no thunderstorms here. Living in SE New Mexico, I reached my limit of tolerance for lightning.

Sometimes knowing how a thing really works and what it can do is TMI. Any more, being out in a thunderstorm is like having someone swinging the muzzle of a loaded gun back and forth past your face in between shots downrange. That's what it feels like to me. Just too many near misses and getting stuck in bad spots with no way to get out.

I've heard that there's a chance of surviving cloud to ground strikes, but no one can survive a ground to cloud strike unprotected.

#273904 - 01/25/15 02:15 AM Re: Lightning Hazards [Re: benjammin]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: benjammin
One of the reasons I live in Anchorage now is there are no thunderstorms here.

Well Ben, I hate to be the one to zap you with this bolt of news, but we do in fact get lightning in Anchorage. Not as nearly as often as other places in the world, but we do get it.

A few years back a couple were injured by lightning up near the ski area at Arctic Valley, just above town.

My personal experience is that lightning storms in Anchorage are increasing in frequency,relative to when I first got here in 1984. Lots of other folks agree. See Thunder, lightning increase in Anchorage .

Interior Alaska regularly gets lots of lightning storms, which cause many fires.

Edited by AKSAR (01/25/15 02:19 AM)

#273905 - 01/25/15 02:28 AM Re: Lightning Hazards [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

It is also said that there is no lightning in Southern California - not always true.

#273913 - 01/25/15 07:58 AM Re: Lightning Hazards [Re: AKSAR]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

In the two years I've been here, I've not seen any lightning in the Anchorage metro area yet. Being out on the northwest side of town, I've heard distant thunder from a couple of systems that wound down the Knick arm, but never made it close enough to see a flash. That's been the closest I've seen so far. I can live with that. One or two storms a year won't bother me, especially since I spend half my time up on the slope, which I am told it is even rarer for lightning there.

Considering where I've been (Florida, SE New Mexico, Denver), relatively speaking, there is virtually no risk of lightning striking me here. It may not be zero, and there may be other hazards I have to contend with, but for now I am happy to trade.

#273921 - 01/25/15 06:18 PM Re: Lightning Hazards [Re: benjammin]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Considering where I've been (Florida, SE New Mexico, Denver), relatively speaking, there is virtually no risk of lightning striking me here. It may not be zero, and there may be other hazards I have to contend with, but for now I am happy to trade.
You will note that regading lightning in Anchorage I said "Not as nearly as often as other places in the world, but we do get it."

I once had a mildly scary experience with a thunderstorm up in the Talkeetna Range, NE of Anchorage. But by far the closest calls I've had with lightning were in the Oregon Cascades.

Once in my misspent youth a girlfriend and I were hiking on the PCT north of Mt Jefferson. A thunderstorm moved in but we were down in the flats below Mt Jefferson, so we weren't too concerned. Suddenly bolt struck a tree about 30 feet ahead of us. It blew big strips of bark off the side of the tree like shrapnel. The top of the tree burst into flame. The trail we were on went right past the tree, close enough to touch, and if the lighting had hit few seconds later we would have been right next to the tree.

Another time a buddy and I were climbing the West Ridge of Mt Washington (about a 5.7 route on scary loose volcanic rock) when a thunderstorm started to move in. We were very near the top and opted to quickly finish the route and descend the easy standard route. Just as we got to the summit, our hair started to stand on end from static electricity. We made the fasted rappel in history to get off that thing!

In later years I did some climbing around Boulder Colorado. There you could about set your watch by the afternoon thunderstorms. You just timed your climb to be up and back down before then.

#273924 - 01/25/15 07:44 PM Re: Lightning Hazards [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

So did you put out the fire and save suppression costs? Enquiring minds want to know....

We lived by the same clock in Arizona. Be off the gnarly bits by 3PM or suffer the consequences.

#273927 - 01/25/15 08:23 PM Re: Lightning Hazards [Re: AKSAR]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yep, statement noted.

I've been kicked off of mountaintops the hard way a time or two while working on radio sites. Watching precursor arcs across the legs of a tower is absolutely terrifying and awesome, and made me feel like a little bug about to get stomped on.

I was up in the hilltops outside of Deckers CO one time looking down over a thunderstorm near Flourissant (sp). I opted to turn around and go back to Deckers than drive down through that mess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.