The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#273902 - 01/25/15 01:33 AM Big Ben's beans and rice on the go
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
As stated, here is my recipe using dehydrated instant refried beans.

1/4 cup dehydrated instant refried beans
1/4 cup instant white rice
1 tsp Southwest Chipotle Seasoning mix
1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 cup boiling water

Yield: one big, filling serving worth about 300 calories

The two brands I use most often are Rose's Mexicali and Santa Fe. They each have different types (pinto, black, fat-free etc) so feel free to try whatever you like. Instant rice is whatever is on sale. Southwest Chipotle seasoning mix is like a Chili powder made by Tones that I find frequently at Costco and Sams Club. I suppose any chili powder would do just fine. Grated parmesan is usually Kraft brand, though really any shelf stable grated parm would do. I put all the dry ingredients in a vacuum sealed bag packet and label it. I mix it with the boiling water in a bowl and let sit for about 3 minutes or until the rice is tender. It starts out pretty soupy, but as the water is absorbed it thickens up quite nicely. It works well on its own, and would make a nice addition to any meal on the go, like those Mountain House skillet breakfasts, or with warmed tortillas or crackers or chips, or what not. Just one of a handful of "just add boiling water" scratch recipes I've developed (you can make your own dehydrated instant refrieds if you have a dehydrator with a mesh screen, and you can make instant rice from cooked regular rice, and you can make your own Southwest seasoning blend from dried peppers, garlic, onions and salt, but pre-packaged are inexpensive and I think decent value for money if you shop around a bit).

These are fairly compact and light. I can throw a dozen of these packets in a day pack and still have plenty of room for other essentials. Questions?

#273910 - 01/25/15 06:00 AM Re: Big Ben's beans and rice on the go [Re: benjammin]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
This looks good to me. I'm on the road for a while but I'll try this when I'm back home. Any other recipes like this would be very welcome.

#273912 - 01/25/15 06:25 AM Re: Big Ben's beans and rice on the go [Re: benjammin]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal
Thank you for this simple but extremely useful recipe idea, Benjammin. Bet you could really get creative with flavorings.

Using your idea would be an inexpensive way to sidestep ingredients (in MRE's e.g.,) that are not well tolerated by everyone.

...returning to appreciative lurking posture.

#273914 - 01/25/15 08:00 AM Re: Big Ben's beans and rice on the go [Re: Cjoi]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I feel privileged to have your response, truly.

#273915 - 01/25/15 08:02 AM Re: Big Ben's beans and rice on the go [Re: chaosmagnet]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I'll post some more. Cheers

#273918 - 01/25/15 05:08 PM Re: Big Ben's beans and rice on the go [Re: benjammin]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Protein is always the hard part. I didn't know dehydrated instant refried beans were available. Good to know for my barbaric just-boil-water hiking menu.

#274026 - 01/29/15 06:13 AM Re: Big Ben's beans and rice on the go [Re: dougwalkabout]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I didn't know dehydrated instant refried beans were available.

FYI, the dehydrated refried beans available from LDS canneries are FANTASTIC!!! Their taste, texture, and storage ability are all top notch.
-Blast, now hungry.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#274028 - 01/29/15 12:07 PM Re: Big Ben's beans and rice on the go [Re: benjammin]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Here in Finland we have a brand named GoGreen. They have many kinds on ready-to-eat beans in soft cardboard cans. Very tasty and handy to use. Add to stews and such or with rice.

Plain beans: http://gogreen.fi/tuotteet/pavut/

Beans in salsa sauce: http://gogreen.fi/tuotteet/salsakastikkeet/

Lentils: http://gogreen.fi/tuotteet/linssit/

Edited by Herman30 (01/29/15 12:09 PM)

#274051 - 01/30/15 06:39 PM Re: Big Ben's beans and rice on the go [Re: benjammin]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
mmmMM!! We tried this for dinner the other night, using canned beans instead of instant and I served it in wraps. BIG thumbs up from the entire clan - even our visiting picky eater!

Thanks Benjammin!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#274160 - 02/07/15 05:55 AM Re: Big Ben's beans and rice on the go [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Ben, E-book/E-doc when you get enough to "publish"? I am not sure I would remember to copy/paste/organize.

Edited by MoBOB (02/07/15 05:55 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.