Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#273874 - 01/23/15 07:14 PM The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

#273875 - 01/23/15 07:29 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Fabulous! Where can I get one? Just the ticket for flights...

#273879 - 01/23/15 08:16 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

It seems like --

(1) you need a screw driver just to disassemble the watch so as to use the individual bits;

(2) it would be awkward to use the bits that require rotation, as the bits are off-centered;

(3) keeping track of all the pieces, once disassembled, might be a problem, especially in the field;

and (4) the plier is missing!

#273881 - 01/23/15 08:41 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I rarely wear a watch or anything else on my wrists. My TSA-safe tools are way less expensive and way more usable than the Tread. I wish Leatherman well but I don't see this being a good fit for me.

#273882 - 01/23/15 09:25 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I always wear a watch. What disappoints is the proposal to market this band with a Swiss analog watch which is nothing more than a watch. Where is the compass,altimeter, etc.?

I would like a watch band to which I can afix my own watch.....

#273884 - 01/23/15 09:47 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
It looks like you wouldn't need to disassemble it to use the individual tools. You would just bend the band at the hinge so the proper tool sticks out. But the tools would indeed be awkward to use. Even more awkward than a standard multi-tool, which itself is awkward compared to real tools from your toolbox.

It's an interesting concept. I would only consider wearing one if it would be part of what I already wear, like the watch example in their picture. But I doubt I would want their watch. I would want my own, personally selected watch to attach to their band. In the picture, it appears that you have to use only their watch, since it is attached with screws. I wouldn't expect them to come out with a good watch quite frankly. They would probably provide the most expensive, least functional, cheapest to manufacture watch possible. Also, I'm thinking your watch would weigh about two pounds with his band attached to it.

Still, it's an interesting concept. Most interesting to me is the modular aspect of it. Create your custom band with just the exact mix of tools that YOU want, not what some product designer wants. That's the problem I have with normal multi-tools and SAK's. You never find a model that's exactly what you want, you have to make compromises and do without some tools you do want, and accept other tools that you do not want.

I would like a modular multi-tool or SAK. Now THAT would be something highly desirable for me. A basic frame that you could attach tools to. So when you have to fly somewhere, you could remove the blades to keep TSA happy and still have all the rest of the tools, or maybe even add more tools to use the space freed up by removing the blades.

p.s. - If you look at Leathermans watch face in the picture, you can see how they tried to make it streamlined and cool looking. See how the crystal appears to bulge outwards from the watch case? Cool looking, but horrible for real life. That crystal would be so scratched and chipped in practical use, with nothing to protect it. The better watches protect the crystal with the case, Leatherman appears to want to protect the case with the crystal, a non-workable and poor design choice.

Edited by haertig (01/23/15 09:51 PM)

#273890 - 01/23/15 11:10 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

the lack of proper handle and too much metal surrounding the tools, making them hard to use. Ever had any use for these types of box wrenches? I never seems to find on with enough room to turn.

Also not sure if i want a cutting hook and a glass breaker on my arm all the time. I bump in to a lot of things with my watch...

#273894 - 01/24/15 04:28 AM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I agree that the tools could be awkward to use, but even more awkward is trying to deal with a fastening with no tools at all. It would be a last ditch kind of thing, for situations when no tool box would be handy.

The watch is a negative. I would much rather buy this gadget as a watch band. I heartily second your thoughts on modularity of multitools.

#273896 - 01/24/15 01:52 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Not a bad idea per se. I wonder though how the micro-tools perform in real life, especially in terms of leverage and getting into hard-to-reach places with the weirdly shaped bits and bracelet frame.

This seems strictly a (very) light duty tool. Good for small repairs, maybe electronics, gadgets etc. I like multitools for what they are, but even a full-sized Leatherman has issues dealing with stuck screws, tightly fastened bolts and the like.

BTW, I agree strongly that a modular approach to multitools would make life easier for many of us. It's one of the reasons why I'm not that fond of the famed SAK - I could never really find the perfect combination of tools for my needs so my SAKs spend most of their time in the drawer sadly.

It is possible to modify many modern multitools, though. Most of the larger Leathermans can be disassembled if you can get hold of the necessary driver bit (which looks something like a weird torx head). With some effort it is possible to replace the existing tools with something else. I've done that on my LM Wave and a buddy of mine did a similar job on his Skeletool. Unfortunately, it does require more skill and equipment than the average DIY projects and may not be worth the trouble in the end.

#273897 - 01/24/15 03:39 PM Re: The Leatherman Tread -- thumbs up or down? [Re: Bingley]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Very gimmicky and not very useful. At least that's what I think. The designer of the tool talks about it in the second part of this video.

http://youtu.be/Q-3imhqc-U4

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.