Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#273789 - 01/19/15 01:57 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
It seems to me that the CO2 problem is one of how much CO2 can be "recycled" each year (by natural processes) vs how much is dumped into the atmosphere, by natural and manmade processes. If the two are in balance, it is a stable situation. If there is more CO2 produced than can be recycled, warming will occur and a positive feedback loop established. It appears that more is being dumped into the atmosphere than can be recycled.

Here is a link to a short (about 6 min.) September 2014 You Tube video that discusses several of the global warming/climate change issues. Note that in the video description, sources for its statements are cited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWXoRSIxyIU

#273819 - 01/21/15 06:39 AM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
No question that a constant 4% bias above equilibrium over time would have an adverse impact. However, such a small percentage contribution by one source type is easily overtaken by typical variances in the output of other, much larger source types. For instance, a large forest fire, or a volcanic eruption, or some other such occurrence on an annual basis would provide similar bias. Since climate change resulting in global warming is not an immediate crisis, and there is no viable solution to reverse the current trend claimed by popular science given the political lack of cooperation of other industrialized nations, it would seem prudent to focus my attentions on more pressing matters for now. If the situation changes, it would warrant reconsideration. I'm not saying we shouldn't worry about such things; just to keep it in perspective with all the other possible threats leaning on us today.

It is wise to consider all possibilities; to evaluate, to classify, and to plan for. Keeping oneself appraised of the latest data and the current impressions of the experts is prudent practice, and we must all exercise diligence in staying well informed and ready for action. On that, I think we can all agree wholeheartedly, even if our personal conclusions vary.

#274175 - 02/08/15 07:13 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The scientific deception may be even worse than even I have thought.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11367...al-warming.html

#274176 - 02/08/15 10:51 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Am Fear, these Telegraph-articles are hogwash. I suggest you invest some time finding more credible sources of information.

#274180 - 02/09/15 06:28 AM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

AFLM,
Just to amplify MostlyHarmless's point, it is always worthwhile to check on the qualifications (or lack thereof) of the authors of articles one cites.

A few moments use of Google shows that Christopher Booker apparently has no significant training in science, but rather was a history major. Among other dubious beliefs he claims that asbestos is "chemically identical to talcum powder" and poses a "non-existent" risk to human health.

Not exactly a guy that most people are inclined to take seriously about climate, or much else.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Booker

Edited by AKSAR (02/09/15 06:30 AM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#274181 - 02/09/15 09:05 AM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Russ]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
A give away is that this chap almost had a breakdown from the abuse he received about his climate denial. If they had been telling him he was too foolish to realise the world was flat, do you think he would really be hurt by it?
Like the people who claim to believe that O'Bama shouldn't be president because he's a Kenyan and only natural born americans can hold the post, yet none of them take the obvious solution to this self solving problem; call the cops!
He knows himself he's in the wrong.
qjs

#274183 - 02/09/15 01:47 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK

There's an explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRFz8merXEA. Briefly, the data is from weather stations, which are only interested in short-term predictions. Hence they didn't bother to recalibrate when they upgraded their instruments. The raw data should not be used for long-range climate predictions. It needs to be adjusted; in effect, to calibrate it retrospectively. There's no deception or fraud going on here.

#274185 - 02/09/15 02:35 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Brangdon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
There's an explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRFz8merXEA. Briefly, the data is from weather stations, which are only interested in short-term predictions. Hence they didn't bother to recalibrate when they upgraded their instruments. The raw data should not be used for long-range climate predictions. It needs to be adjusted; in effect, to calibrate it retrospectively. There's no deception or fraud going on here.

The video demonstrates nicely how the Human Global Warming proponents beliefs have become almost a religious belief. Retrospectively temperature increase bias re calibration on temperature data sets always under the assumption that 'Its got to be wrong, it can't be getting cooler, its got to be getting warmer, there's HGW' laugh

Are any of the other urban Weather Stations adjusted downwards (cooler) for heat island effects that have built up around those weather stations over time? I suspect not!

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/09/15 02:43 PM)

#274186 - 02/09/15 04:03 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida

The video demonstrates nicely how the Human Global Warming proponents beliefs have become almost a religious belief. Retrospectively temperature increase bias re calibration on temperature data sets always under the assumption that 'Its got to be wrong, it can't be getting cooler, its got to be getting warmer, there's HGW' laugh

Are any of the other urban Weather Stations adjusted downwards (cooler) for heat island effects that have built up around those weather stations over time? I suspect not!

AFLM,

If direct temperature data were the primary data used for global warming information, you might be correct. However, that is the least useful data set (for calibration issues as well as many other reasons) available. Lots of good "proxy" data is used to show real warming over the last 18,000 years or so. Global Warming is REAL. There are multiple causes. Man is most certainly one of them. Not the first time in history either that an organism has changed the earth's environment. The science is there and it does not depend on thermometers.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.