Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#273850 - 01/22/15 06:56 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: chaosmagnet]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

BTW, why the disparaging tones regarding the police?

As a matter of fact, I have had some training with the police (and military police). I have met several LEOs and MPs that I would absolutely trust with my life in a confrontation. I wonder how many people posting here have anywhere near their experience and skills? Anyway, I have not met very many civilians with a comparable set of skills.

I have a few friends who are very good shots. They do well at competitions and on hunting grounds. I am not so sure how they would handle themselves under fire. There's more to it than marksmanship alone, the battlefield is not quite the Olympics.

Again BTW, the police officer inside Charlie Hebdo was a veteran, currently serving with the Service de la protection. They are not just your average street cops. Was he armed? I don't know. But again, I suspect he had more street experience than most people here.

What makes me a little uncomfortable about this thread is that some forumites are making pretty bold statements. Yet the people who I know personally can handle themselves in a difficult situation do not generally talk about about their skills online. Makes me wonder.

And no, I don't agree for a second that competition or training for the most part, other than the really hardcore military/law enforcement style comes anywhere close to a real confrontation. Drawing a gun on somebody is one thing. Being in a fight with someone actually trying to hurt or kill you is a little different.

Or maybe not, what do I know. Time to sign off...

#273851 - 01/22/15 07:16 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Believe it or not there are a lot of CCW folks who train and shoot competition. They might not shoot as much as SEAL, Delta or SAS, but we don't have their ammo budget.

You probably do if its the SAS! Most who join the SAS have never even fired or handled a Pistol before. As for the 50' head shot, well there's not much bullet drop at that sort of range even for 9mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55zawUndP50

Access to ammunition for Training is more readily available in the US than even for the SAS in the UK.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/22/15 07:18 PM)

#273852 - 01/22/15 07:26 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That may be true, but availability of ammo and funds to pay for that ammo are two different things. The last 5 years have seen a big increase in cost and a reduction of availability. Seems like it's easier to find 9mm than quality .22LR. Neither are inexpensive.

#273854 - 01/22/15 07:47 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: barbakane]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
We've strayed too close to the line regarding advocacy here, if we haven't crossed it outright. I am as guilty as anyone of that, and for that I do apologize. I will work to do better.

Moving forward in this thread, let's stick with discussions of how to survive an active shooter event.

chaosmagnet

#273855 - 01/22/15 08:02 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think you can get 1000 9mm FMJs for around $225 in the US, that is more than enough ammunition for the SAS Pistol shooting course. The MoD are and have been very stingy when it comes to training ammunition. That is about the same price as a morning round of Golf at St Andrews and a few pints of beer in the Afternoon. wink

#273856 - 01/22/15 08:21 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: barbakane]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I've offered before, but if any of you are classroom teachers, or have significant others that are, I have a couple of suggestions on how to harden you classrooms, and couple of ideas that we incorporated at my high school after the Columbine, Co tragedy...

#273857 - 01/22/15 08:23 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I think you can get 1000 9mm FMJs for around $225 in the US, that is more than enough ammunition for the SAS Pistol shooting course. The MoD are and have been very stingy when it comes to training ammunition. That is about the same price as a morning round of Golf at St Andrews and a few pints of beer in the Afternoon. wink

I can't speak to the golf and beer costs, but the best price I'm seeing for brass-cased 9mm target ammo is pretty close to that. Ammoman.com (no affiliation but highly recommended) has Blazer Brass for $244/1000 delivered. You can get steel-cased ammo for cheaper, and ammoseek.com (again, no affiliation but highly recommended) shows another site I don't know selling it for $210 before shipping.

#273858 - 01/22/15 08:38 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: barbakane]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the long term solution... it's painted blue

#273859 - 01/22/15 09:04 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: LesSnyder]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
LOL smile Mine is painted green.

#273860 - 01/22/15 11:29 PM Re: Active shooter scenario [Re: Tom_L]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The references provided by CM are most informative - recommended reading

Here is a key paragraph from the FBI report:

The study identified 21 (13.1%) of 160 incidents where unarmed c
itizens made the selfless
and deeply personal choices to face the danger of an active shooter. In those instances,
the citizens safely and successfully disrupted the shootings. In 11 of those 21 incidents,
unarmed principals, teachers, other school staff and students confronted the shooters to
end the threat. In 10 incidents, citizens, working or shopping when the shootings began,
successfully restrained shooters until police could arrive. And in 6 other incidents, armed
off-duty police officers, citizens, and security guards risked their lives to successfully end
the threat. These actions likely saved the lives of students and others present

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 384 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.