Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#273636 - 01/10/15 09:43 PM Adhesive Question
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
OK, all you chemistry and constructions dudes and dudettes out there, I need a little help. I am at the point in my kitchen renovation where I install the breakfast bar. Here's the situation: Firstly, the countertop and breakfast bar are butcher block maple finished with water-based polyurethane. Secondly, the brackets are stainless steel Federal Brace Enterprise style. Thirdly, the brackets will be secured to the countertop with the recommended bracket kit (3/8" bolt and 3" backing plate. Fourthly, I don't want to use screws to mount the breakfast bar to the bracket if I don't have to. Lastly, that leaves me looking for the right adhesive/epoxy if one exists. Any suggestions?

I thank you in advance for the help.

Edited by MoBOB (01/10/15 09:47 PM)

#273638 - 01/10/15 10:28 PM Re: Adhesive Question [Re: MoBOB]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

A bit hard to say without some more info (or pictures). But as a rule of thumb, pretty much any slow curing (24h) epoxy should do a good job. Make sure to clean the joint surface well (possibly with alcohol/acetone) prior to gluing. Roughing up the surface with something like 80 grit sandpaper would be a good idea, too. Secure the joint with clamps if at all possible. Do not tighten the clamps too much, just enough to achieve a good fit, then leave well alone for the next 24h.

That said, I'm not sure I would use glue in your situation. In all likelihood bolts would be mechanically stronger and you can always disassemble them for repair if necessary.

#273639 - 01/10/15 11:24 PM Re: Adhesive Question [Re: MoBOB]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Second the recommendation for screws if it is possible. Some day you, or someone else, will want to take it apart. If I were to glue it, I would use some of the construction adhesives instead of epoxy, just for ease of use. But I would do everything else that Tom recommend.

#273640 - 01/11/15 12:11 AM Re: Adhesive Question [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Here is a link to a picture of the brace: http://www.kitchensource.com/attributes/gallery.cgi?&g=FB-30350&i=1

The surface that the breakfast bar will contact is already rough from the factory. As with most of my projects, I am not using something as intended by the manufacturer; it is a defect in my character. This bracket is intended for granite and/or glass, neither of which are screwed to the bracket.

As far as picture of the breakfast bar, what else is there to know? Picture a butcher block cutting board that is 16"x60" instead of 14"x18".

Drilling through 1/4" of stainless steel for screws/bolts will be a bit of a chore.

Thanks so far.

#273641 - 01/11/15 12:38 AM Re: Adhesive Question [Re: MoBOB]
joekar Offline
Stranger

Loc: Born in VA, relocated to IA
A new carbide bit, and cutting oil and drilling those holes won't be as hard as you think! Use a variable speed drill, and go at a medium speed, with decent pressure. Use plenty of the cutting oil. When you feel you are going to punch through the steel back off on pressure and speed so it doesn't grab when you break through. Also, a punch and hammer to give you an indentation to start drilling so your bit doesn't wander.
If you are dead set against bolts, I've had good luck in using Lexel adhesives.
http://www.amazon.com/Sashco-13013-2-Lexel-5-0-Ounce-Clear/dp/B0012DIUYW
That's not an ad, it's just the first link that popped up when I searched for the product. I don't have any connection to amazon, or lexel, other than the lexel being the brand my boss purchases for me to use.
Hope that helps some.

#273643 - 01/11/15 11:41 AM Re: Adhesive Question [Re: MoBOB]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

True enough, with a new drill bit and a drill press if available 1/4" stainless steel really shouldn't be too much to handle.

If all else fails though you could take a saw/angle grinder and cut a few slots going about halfway through the bracket, just wide enough to insert a bolt of suitable size.

#273654 - 01/11/15 09:48 PM Re: Adhesive Question [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Hey everyone, thanks for the help. Your suggestions caused me to slow down a little while I waited for your responses. I needed the breathing room. I have decided to go ahead and use screws. It will lessen the anxiety. I do have a baby drill press and a couple of 1/4" bits that have only been used a little. I will be using #14 stainless steel screws. Again, thanks a ton for the input.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.