Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273614 - 01/09/15 10:56 PM Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
http://abcnews.go.com/US/miami-dolphin-player-falls-overboard-swims-miles-shore/story?id=28098407

I'm in reasonably good shape but that's seriously hard core. I expect I would have died.

#273616 - 01/09/15 11:28 PM Re: Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles [Re: chaosmagnet]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
That's some serious roid rage.

#273617 - 01/09/15 11:29 PM Re: Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Not surprising. The article clearly states he was a Dolphin, after all. Could have been much worse if he had played for Detroit...

#273621 - 01/10/15 04:07 AM Re: Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles [Re: chaosmagnet]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
http://abcnews.go.com/US/miami-dolphin-player-falls-overboard-swims-miles-shore/story?id=28098407

I'm in reasonably good shape but that's seriously hard core. I expect I would have died.

Why do you say that , how did you reach that conclusion (your math)?

Seems to me its very similar to Tourists swim 14 hours after boat sinks - ETS Forums
8 miles from land, swim for 14 hours, warm water (above 70 farenheit)

This guy is 6'3" 250lb, water temp was 75, swam 9 miles for 10-12 hours ...

Rob Konrad: Former Miami Dolphin falls off fishing boat, swims 9 miles to shore, Coast Guard says - wptv.com
Originally Posted By: http://www.wptv.com/sports/rob-konrad-former-miami-dolphin-falls-off-fishing-boat-swims-9-miles-to-shore-coast-guard-says

left the Hillsboro Inlet in Deerfield Beach around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday and that around 1 p.m. he tripped and fell overboard as his 36' Grady White boat was on autopilot to the Bahamas.
Palm Beach police Konrad reached land at 4:42 a.m. Thursday. He approached a gate in the 1800 block of South Ocean Boulevard and met with an officer working an off-duty detail.
Even long distance swimmers say Conrad's swim for survival is amazing.
"2:30:10 I'm very impressed. Extremely impressed. Can you imagine keeping your face in the salt water for so long - that alone would really wreck on him and then you have salt water going into your mouth which swells your mouth and tongue," swim coach Chazz Chiamardas said.

#273627 - 01/10/15 02:43 PM Re: Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

I can stay afloat for a long time if the water is warm enough, but swimming that far is really, really hard. The one triathlon I did was incredibly challenging and it was only a half-mile swim. I suspect that it's more than 18 times as hard.

#273629 - 01/10/15 03:42 PM Re: Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One factor that is not mentioned in any of the articles is the nature of the currents existing at the time of his swim. Even a very mild current could have been a significant factor in the distance he covered.

#273631 - 01/10/15 05:08 PM Re: Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles [Re: chaosmagnet]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

How 9 miles swimming is depends a LOT on the current. If it's helping you, it's not too bad.

9 miles does sound impressive for a non-competitive swimmer. As for competetive swimmers, I know people who swim half marathons in far less time for fun...

#273633 - 01/10/15 06:58 PM Re: Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles [Re: chaosmagnet]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And wear your life jacket.

#273634 - 01/10/15 08:05 PM Re: Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles [Re: TeacherRO]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
And wear your life jacket.

ESPECIALLY if you're on the water alone!

#273642 - 01/11/15 09:38 AM Re: Former NFL player goes overboard and swims 9 miles [Re: chaosmagnet]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

I can stay afloat for a long time if the water is warm enough, but swimming that far is really, really hard. The one triathlon I did was incredibly challenging and it was only a half-mile swim. I suspect that it's more than 18 times as hard.

The triathalon, its a race right?
And the half-mile swim was more like a half-mile sprint?
Water was cold and current was strong?

I think if you can run/finish a triathalon and you can float (half the battle) you can do a nine miles swim, provided you aren't going upstream smile and you aren't trying too hard.

I think your memory of the hard swim is messing with your confidence ... maybe your frestyle form is also messing with your confidence, do you experience shoulder pain?

Do you go swimming every week?
When I was in grade school, I used to do 40 laps in olympic size swimming pool a few times a week , thats a 1.2 miles
My form was good so no shoulder pain.
When I got tired I would float on my back , kick my feet, maybe flap my arms a little but mostly rest arms....

I went swimming again recently after many years break, and my freestyle is horrible, but I'm confident I could do 9 miles with the backstroke, its mostly just holding your breath a little (float), kicking frequently (like walking), and flapping my arms ... its easier to push water by your side than to reach out and grab it

So I think you could nine mile swim chaosmagnet smile

Here is an inspirational article about front crawl freestyle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.