The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#273166 - 12/07/14 07:44 AM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Russ]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Please note my use of the word 'globally'.
qjs

#273183 - 12/08/14 09:58 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: quick_joey_small]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
All you'e got to ask yourself is how believable is it that for no reason 97% of the worlds climate scientists have decided to commit career suicide by pulling off the biggest hoax in history. And they have done it with an efficiency the CIA could only dream of.

My favourite quote in that respect:

"Anyone who believes he could organize thousands of scientists into a conspiracy has never attended a single faculty meeting."

#273545 - 01/07/15 01:59 AM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Russ]
yamili37 Offline
Stranger

That's a rumor?can't believe .

#273549 - 01/07/15 02:46 AM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Russ]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Thank Goodness for global warming! The hill that I live on was under glacial ice two miles thick only 9,500 years ago....for the seventh time, they say. Now I have a manageable 1/2 foot of snow in the yard.

I hike in the ravine where the meltwater ran into the Glacial River Warren, a small remnant of which is now locally referred to as the Mississippi River.

Oh yeah, about those scientists...They were singing a different tune in the 70's as they, like now, grovelled for grant money. Research it and read the gnashings and wailings of the embarrassed revisionists.

My apologies to any research scientists on the board, but I'm calling it as I see it.

Be sure to click the link... I kinda like the scientist's idea of covering the poles with black soot blush

One thing remains the same though; the ever present implied warning at the end of the article.........Act now or you're doomed!

Attachments
iceage.jpg

newsweek_coolingworld.jpg (413 downloads)

#273551 - 01/07/15 04:21 AM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Russ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Maybe in ten thousand years there will be ice on it again, once all the humans are extinct.

#273553 - 01/07/15 07:06 AM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Oh yeah, about those scientists...They were singing a different tune in the 70's as they, like now, grovelled for grant money. Research it and read the gnashings and wailings of the embarrassed revisionists.

My apologies to any research scientists on the board, but I'm calling it as I see it.

Be sure to click the link... I kinda like the scientist's idea of covering the poles with black soot blush

One thing remains the same though; the ever present implied warning at the end of the article.........Act now or you're doomed!
Yeah Byrd, and there was also a time when they believed the earth was flat, and if you sailed too far you would fall off the edge. Do you still believe that? confused

You will no doubt be shocked to learn that most intelligent people (including scientists) find that as they get more data and gain more understanding, they sometimes need to change their opinions.

Just calling it as I see it.

#273557 - 01/07/15 12:57 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: AKSAR]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: AKSAR

You will no doubt be shocked to learn that most intelligent people (including scientists) find that as they get more data and gain more understanding, they sometimes need to change their opinions.

Just calling it as I see it.

Not shocked, just pleasantly surprised that we seem to agree on that point.

I'm glad you used the word 'opinions', because that's all they are. Bought and paid for and not, as some think, the unbiased infallible conclusions based solely on the irrefutable facts of settled science.

Global warming is a fact and this latest warming trend has been in progress, with negligible effect from human activity, for over 10,000 years.

Why the hype?...Follow the money my friend.

#273560 - 01/07/15 04:50 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I don't wish to discuss global warming, but I would mention that many scientists closely resemble perfectly normal human beings, especially when operating outside their area of professional expertise, raising kids, mowing lawns, and rooting for their favorite NFL team. Some, no doubt, even root for the Vikings....

#273565 - 01/07/15 07:18 PM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Why the hype?...Follow the money my friend.
Indeed Byrd, follow the money. If you actually bother to do so, you will find that there is quite a lot of money available for scientists who wish to challenge the idea that humans are having an effect on climate. Various fossil fuel companies and others with a vested interest in opposing the concept are quite willing to fund this research. The problem is that whenever they do fund the research, and when the scientists actually do the studies, they keep coming to the opposite conclusion.

The case of Richard Muller is quite instructive. He is a well regarded physicist at Berkeley and the Lawrence Livermore Lab, and was a very prominent skeptic of current climate research. He was skeptical first that warming was real (rather than an artifact of poor data analysis), and secondly skeptical that even if warming was real that it was caused by humans putting CO2 into the atmosphere. The Koch brothers (also prominent skeptics) funded him lavishly. With their help he was able to start his own research program and hire a dozen other scientists to assist him.

When he actually did his research, he first discovered that indeed the climate is warming. At that point he was still skeptical that human activity was the source.
Quote:
When we began our study, we felt that skeptics had raised legitimate issues, and we didn't know what we'd find. Our results turned out to be close to those published by prior groups. We think that means that those groups had truly been very careful in their work, despite their inability to convince some skeptics of that. They managed to avoid bias in their data selection, homogenization and other corrections.

Global warming is real. Perhaps our results will help cool this portion of the climate debate. How much of the warming is due to humans and what will be the likely effects? We made no independent assessment of that.

Note that at that point he was still skeptical that humans were a significant cause of warming. So he and his research team next tackled the question of what was the source of this warming. He finally concluded that greenhouse gases were indeed the cause.
Quote:
CALL me a converted skeptic. Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I’m now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause.

My total turnaround, in such a short time, is the result of careful and objective analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project, which I founded with my daughter Elizabeth. Our results show that the average temperature of the earth’s land has risen by two and a half degrees Fahrenheit over the past 250 years, including an increase of one and a half degrees over the most recent 50 years. Moreover, it appears likely that essentially all of this increase results from the human emission of greenhouse gases.

#273569 - 01/08/15 12:39 AM Re: Are you ready for 30 years of cold? [Re: AKSAR]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

From The 'Guardian'

"....Meanwhile Elizabeth Muller, Professor Muller's daughter and the co-founder of the BEST project, is interested in "starting a new section to look at policy," Professor Muller says, to examine "in an objective scientific manner what can be done....."

Let's see...solar power companies, wind generator companies, geothermal companies, wave generator companies, maybe even some fracking companies that need a little love.

So, Papa Mueller finally says 'Uncle' and gets out of the way, and BEST is funded FOREVER!

I think we can agree to disagree on the importance of the human impact on this latest episode of global warming.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.