Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273513 - 01/06/15 12:25 AM Every Day Carry (EDC) question
ATN Offline

O.K. I'd like any constructive advice regarding my current every day carry items.

On keychain:

1 Leatherman Squirt PS4
1 Streamlight 72101 Keymate

On person (pocket, jacket, etc):

1 Adventure Medical Kit Pocket Survival Pak Plus
1 Adventure Medical Kit Two Person Survival Blanket

Thank you for your input.

#273514 - 01/06/15 12:59 AM Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) question [Re: ATN]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Is it summer or winter where you live?
Pavement or dirt (urban area or rural area) ?
How much walking do you have to do before you reach people/buildings?
What kind of clothing do you wear?
What kind of belt do you have?
Footwear?
Do you carry a cell phone?

Your EDC sounds reasonable ... its PSK after all smile
I might add
a scarf/bandana
a "keychain" pepper spray ( dogs? )
a bic lighter and some waxpaper

maybe a 0oz-3oz bottle of bleach if rural
maybe bigger/heavier flashlight if urban

#273516 - 01/06/15 01:25 AM Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) question [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
ATN Offline

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Is it summer or winter where you live?
Pavement or dirt (urban area or rural area) ?
How much walking do you have to do before you reach people/buildings?
What kind of clothing do you wear?
What kind of belt do you have?
Footwear?
Do you carry a cell phone?

Your EDC sounds reasonable ... its PSK after all smile
I might add
a scarf/bandana
a "keychain" pepper spray ( dogs? )
a bic lighter and some waxpaper

maybe a 0oz-3oz bottle of bleach if rural
maybe bigger/heavier flashlight if urban

I live in East Tennessee. It is rural in a lot of parts and my nearest neighbor is about a 100 yards away. My clothing is frequently cargo pants and a t-shirt with a light jacket and sneakers. I should add that I wear a Casio Pathfinder Solar Watch and carry a Cell Phone. I don't normally carry an extra battery for the cell phone but always plug it in at home or in the car; usually the battery is good for a couple of days without recharging. I appreciate your suggestions.

#273517 - 01/06/15 01:27 AM Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) question [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My pockets are for stuff I use, not kits. If the light works for you great. The light on my keyring is a DR Photon Freedom -- tiny, but its only job is to light the way to find a real light. I also carry a LM Squirt, albeit a different model. With the new model LM added scissors, but I already EDC folding scissors which I find myself using more often than the locking folder I also carry. Scissors are great for small stuff and they are much more PC when in public.

I used to EDC a lot of stuff I very rarely used. That extra stuff migrated to my EDC backpack which I take when I leave home; it might stay in my truck rather than on my back, but it's always nearby.

#273518 - 01/06/15 02:02 AM Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) question [Re: ATN]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You might consider a cotton bandanna tucked into a pocket - versatile with lots of applications

#273519 - 01/06/15 02:20 AM Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) question [Re: ATN]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Here is my normal EDC:
  • S&W Shield 9mm, one extra magazine (only where legal to do so!)
  • Ritter MiniGrip S30V
  • LM Squirt PS4 (on keyring)
  • FourSevens 120db whistle (on keyring)
  • ThruNite Ti Limited Christmas Edition (on keyring)
  • NiteCore SRT3 (in a holster, in my pocket)
  • Earbuds for iPhone
  • iPhone
  • A pen of some kind, commonly a Zebra F-701
  • Wallet with drivers license, CCW, credit card and always cash

Most people would be content with a single flashlight, but I'm not most people laugh. I commonly have my laptop bag with me, which has a number of useful items in it, but that's not on-body EDC. I will add other gear (most commonly a full-size multitool) depending on what I'm doing.

If I was going to suggest one change for you, it would be to carry a locking folder. I might also suggest upgrading to a 1xAAA flashlight, the ThruNite I'm carrying is an incredible light for $30.

#273520 - 01/06/15 04:55 AM Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) question [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
you might add a whistle, and possibly a pill fob for a couple of aspirin in case you suspect a heart attack... I've upgraded the Fenix E05 to a 2014 version with the 85 lumen mode

#273521 - 01/06/15 05:14 AM Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) question [Re: LesSnyder]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I prefer a lightweight keyring. The Fenix 1xAAA lights are much more capable than a Photon Freedom, but the price is much more weight. We have different priorities.
If I know I'll need a light I skip the AAA lights and go to a 1 or 2 AA light, Fenix or Foursevens. If I need to pocket carry a light, the Fenix E12 and the Foursevens Mini MA aren't much bigger than the AA battery they use for power.

#273525 - 01/06/15 01:58 PM Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) question [Re: ATN]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I carry a Photon Freedom, but I wish it had a button that blocked accidentally turning it on. It is perfect for EDC except that it gets turned on in the pocket and at times is not available when you need it.

I also have the Fenix, but it is more difficult to use with one hand. The twist on lights are more durable and do not turn on in your pocket, but they are bigger.

Lately I have been carrying a Blocklite: Blocklite .It also has a problem with turning on in the pocket, and coming off of the battery.

My primary EDC knife is a SAK Ranger. I like having the wood saw and the metal file/saw. The metal working ability has proved useful at times. The Leatherman Squirt is another good option.

In a bag, I carry either an emergency blanket or a sol-nylon poncho. It also has some basic first aid trauma items, just focused on life saving, not cuts and scrapes.

I always have a water bottle, wither a Nalgene or a purchased bottle of water, and a method of purifying. I like this one because of the form factor: Aqua Pouch Plus

I also carry cordage. I usually have some 550 cord and some kevlar or Technora cord. The 550 is more for the small tying jobs, the kevlar for when you need more strength.

I also carry a Gore-tex jacket and pants. This provides shelter to preserve the body temperature and to stay dry. I have some by Marmot that pack very small and are very light, but they are not cheap.

When weather is cold, I carry some Smartwool light weight long underwear. Again, very light and packs very small and has been a life saver for me in some really bad weather. It is amazing how warm it is in spite of how light it is.

I also have some down outer layers from Montbell. In keeping with the theme, they are very light and pack small. I have worn them with a waterproof layer in near zero temperatures and was comfortable.

Gloves and a hat top off the winter EDC gear. Wind proof and water resistant are helpful.

I do generally have a PSK in a pocket as well, in addition to what I have already listed.

I do not keep all of this packed up, just in case. These are things I use on a regular basis, even the cordage.

#273526 - 01/06/15 03:42 PM Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) question [Re: chaosmagnet]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

• S&W Shield 9mm, one extra magazine (only where legal to do so!)
  • Ritter MiniGrip S30V
  • LM Squirt PS4 (on keyring)
  • FourSevens 120db whistle (on keyring)
  • ThruNite Ti Limited Christmas Edition (on keyring)
  • NiteCore SRT3 (in a holster, in my pocket)
  • Earbuds for iPhone
  • iPhone
  • A pen of some kind, commonly a Zebra F-701
  • Wallet with drivers license, CCW, credit card and always cash

CM: i do like your style and choices. i always have a squirt within reach and my F-701 sits next to my mousepad. ordered my thrunite ti xmas just last week. my EDC peashooter is a scandium s&w 340pd and lockblade is a ti buck/mayo #172.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.