Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#273691 - 01/14/15 06:50 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hmm! Strong opinions. Well, I've only played with an ice axe briefly, so this is mostly hypothetical -- my 2c.

But I can see some summer utility in certain situations. I often walk on trails where invasive, very spiny plant species are an ongoing problem. I have wished more than once for a long-handled digging tool to thin out the herd as I'm passing through. A shovel is too heavy to schlep along; a thin, strong pick on a walking stick would fit the bill.

To quote a movie that (purportedly) quotes a famous American: "I don't care what anything was designed to do, I care about what it can do."

#273693 - 01/14/15 10:03 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

IMHO some of the ideas put forward on this thread are a little unrealistic.

An ice axe is basically not suitable for general walking, it's a specialized tool for ice/winter climbing.

A typical hiker or outdoorsman will never need an ice axe. Unless you've had plenty of qualified instruction in winter climbing there is absolutely no reason to get an ice axe other than novelty value.

I guess you could carry an ice axe in summer on well established trails, but I just can't see why. A small hatchet and a hiking pole weigh about the same and will accomplish a lot more in that sort of situation.

But sure, an ice axe with a serrated pick does look awesome. smile

You can always think outside the box and improvise, but it may not always be worth the trouble. You could use a hunting rifle as a walking aid and for pounding tent stakes. Would it make sense? Probably not.

#273694 - 01/14/15 02:16 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Tom_L]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: Tom_L

An ice axe is basically not suitable for general walking, it's a specialized tool for ice/winter climbing.

Tom,

Although I agree with most of what you said, I must disagree with this statement. I have used my glacier axe (a long one) many times as a walking stick for the approach. Although it may not be as good as my walking stick, it is very suitable. Like my walking cane on the city streets, it provides an excellent 3rd leg in unstable situations. My climbing axe would not, so it goes on my pack and I carry my segmented walking staff.

Again I would not buy one just for general walking - there are better choices IMHO. But they do work well if you have one of the right length and I would not hesitate to take mine if I felt it would be more useful on the particular trail than my staff.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#273697 - 01/14/15 05:50 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: JerryFountain]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
And the spike at the end of the shaft is great for picking up trash, but, yes,it is a specialized tool for frozen water...

#273705 - 01/15/15 05:21 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: hikermor]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Colleagues, Dougwalkabout was correct, many strong (and useful) opinions! To all who were crtical of my planned use, thank-you. Your frank appraisals are appreciated and will require me to review and maybe reassess my plan. That's never a bad thing. To those who were supportive or semi- supportive, thanks also. You've given me some good ideas for plan improvement.

#273719 - 01/16/15 01:52 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I had such a situation just last summer. The quite popular 9 miles trail, at one place going down along the small creek bed to the scenic waterfall on the ocean beach, had been quickly (in the matter of hours) worn out in one critical place to the level that there were no easy way to get back up the cliff from the beach anymore using just bare hands (people were jumping down the small cliff and eventually destroyed the natural "step stone" below). Those on the beach already were stuck at first, but then had to help each other to get over the cliff back pulling and pushing their friends over about 5.5 feet high obstacle. I'm sure an Ice axe would be a perfect solution there for a late solo hiker (no friends or strangers to help). If not just simply gripping the soft sedimentary rock over the cliff in one hit of the axe and pulling himself over - then using it to quickly dig a couple of dimples or steps in the wall to step on...

#273723 - 01/16/15 05:16 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Pictures would help,but we must be dealing with some extremely soft rock! A lot would depend upon one's rock climbing/scrambling ability, but at 5.5' height a mantle move might be just the trick. If the rock is really that soft, almost anything, like a tin cup or even bare hands (used judiciously) would provide suitable indents....but that would be cheating. And I thought the Channel Islands had soft, crummy rock!

A trail of use,such as you describe, is not what comes to mind for the phrase "well established trail." It suggests something that is constructed.

#273771 - 01/18/15 10:30 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Alex]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Alex: Your story has some interesting social implications...

Dear fellow ETS'ers, are there any social stigma associated with bringing an ice axe to the beach at summer? Just askin'...

#274052 - 01/30/15 07:25 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It seems I'm not the first one down this track. Petzl and Stubai both took a stab at a hybrid ice axe and telescoping trekking pole. Naturally neither is in production (too expensive anyway) but interesting to look at.

Petzl's version extends to 105 cm:

Stubai's extends to 95 cm:

Also, FWIW, I came across a Seattle company that makes a 100 cm single-piece ice axe (no affiliation): http://smcgear.net/ice-axes-hammers-accessories/capra-ice-axe-100cm.html

#274054 - 01/30/15 09:31 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
"The Lake Wenatchee Trail Helper" 1972

by District Ranger Richard Woodcock

"Universally the most accepted walking stick is the ice-axe"

From the book-

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.