Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#273622 - 01/10/15 05:25 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: acropolis5]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

So, today I got a cover from Moosejaw for my new , BD , 90cm. Raven ice ax. MisQ., they sent the wrong piece. So, I called and arranged a return. But, in the meantime I had discovered that Camp USA a generic black rubber adz/ top/ pick cover and a similar tip cover. Thus, head protection and a softer hiking grip. Moosejaw stocks them , $4.95 and $1, plus shipping, ~$20 for three of each. I'll let you know if it works as planned.

#273648 - 01/11/15 05:22 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Congrats! I've recently decided on an ambrela: http://real-self-defense.com/unbreakable-umbrella. Not really for icy conditions (California) but as a walking stick, pull up hook, sunshade.

#273652 - 01/11/15 08:36 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Alex]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Alex, I purchased the Unbreakable Umbrella several years ago, when I decided it was time to own a really good " grown up" , formal umbrella. It was/is a great investment. Classy, especially rolled in the included cover/sheath. Large enough for my wife and me, walking arm-in-arm. Blowout proof, but a bit balky on button opening. Damn near indestructible. Enjoy.

#273653 - 01/11/15 09:43 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: acropolis5]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Returning to the main topic's subject, I'm thinking about wrapping the shaft of my new BD Raven, 90cm., in whole or part , with bike handlebar tape or racket grip tape. My goal is to improve my handgrip ( on the now bare aluminum shaft ) if I'm reaching out to hook the adz or pick onto a tree or rock, to steady myself while walking/ crossing/ climbing. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions or product suggestions?

#273655 - 01/11/15 10:16 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: acropolis5]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Returning to the main topic's subject, I'm thinking about wrapping the shaft of my new BD Raven, 90cm., in whole or part , with bike handlebar tape or racket grip tape. My goal is to improve my handgrip ( on the now bare aluminum shaft ) if I'm reaching out to hook the adz or pick onto a tree or rock, to steady myself while walking/ crossing/ climbing. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions or product suggestions?

None; use gloves. The 'hook the adz or pick onto a tree or rock' does sound like you are using the wrong tool for the job.

I carry both walking poles (knee doesn't like decending) and an ice axe when mountainering.

#273656 - 01/11/15 11:11 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Tjin]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Tjin: Interesting comment re wrong tool for the job. I'm thinking to use my long Raven in place of a crookneck wood walking stick. My thought was that both have a pointy tip for grip in snow , scree & dirt. The angled pick can be used same as the wood crook, for "hooking on" or "grapple" to steady oneself in stepping up or over, as well as to dig in and anchor the tool. The addition of the adz to the tool, enables digging and (light) chopping. In your opinion, have I made a faulty plan?

#273663 - 01/12/15 09:50 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

An ice axe is a mountaineering tool for snow and ice. Designed to brake when your sliding down a slope, chop snow/ice steps, anchoring in snow (deadman anchors or driven in to the snow vertically) and as a third support when you need more support. Yes most climbers will poke the spike in rock too, since most routes are mixed snow/ice/rock.

The basic ones are fine for ice trails like douwalkabout mentioned.

But for scree and dirt? And to hook the adz or pick onto a tree or rock? If you are off the snow/ice and you are not just above a snow/ice slope, it’s time to pack away the ice axe. No reason to use pointy things when not needed. You must realize, hooking an ice tool and pulling yourself up on it, also means you are pulling a heavy pointy thing towards you when it slips.

Straight axes are not that great at hooking anything. The pick on a straight ice axe is for braking in snow. If you want to hook on to rock, you need a different pull and pick angle to prevent it from slipping. Yes, it probably won’t slip if there is a very aggressive angle on the rock, but unless you have a lots if fresh broken off rock, you probably have far less to hook on. So don't use an ice axe for these purposes.

#273667 - 01/12/15 03:54 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have spent a fair amount of time off trail bushwhacking doing field archaeology and SAR, and I don't think any implement of this sort will be of much use in that sort of situation. You will find you want as slim a profile as possible. An ice axe or even a walking stick is likely to be an encumbrance. I particularly would not want to go around hooking rocky outcrops. Your hands are the best implements for that task.

#273669 - 01/12/15 08:32 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just hands are often not long or strong enough. With an ice axe you could quickly dig a hole in ice or dirt to make a better grip point/stepping surface for your hand or leg. That's often a necessity even on well established trails.

#273679 - 01/13/15 04:00 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There's a good reason they are called ice axes and not hiking axes. I would love to see a situation on a "well established trail"-not covered with snow or ice - where an ice axe is needed or useful.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.