Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#273486 - 01/04/15 11:46 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This might be just what you want, but it is pricy - http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2014-bpl-staff-picks.html#.VKkfSHuLXiV

It is not for high angle technical climbs, but more for crossing snowfields -superlight (carbon fiber and titanium) and I would check to see if the longest available length (70 cm)is long enough. For the price, you might be able to order something longer

#273490 - 01/04/15 06:15 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Nice item! Nice weight! Nice price too.

I'm still interested in a regular ice axe, though, and I'll try to get to a shop to play with one sometime this week (2 hr. round trip). That will settle things out pretty quickly. I like the idea of the strength for winter scrambling in the local hills and ravines -- the equivalent of a gym membership for keeping some level of fitness during these cold months.

As well, when I start asking around I'll bet people in the climbing community have old beater ice axes they'll part with for cheap. Assuming they're restless gearheads like I tend to be. With a new gear category, you don't know what you want until you know what you don't want.

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/04/15 06:15 PM)

#273493 - 01/04/15 06:52 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
MedB Offline

Doug,

Perhaps this chart might help...

It's a matrix that cross references your height with the type of terrain (slope) you will be in to come up with a recommended length of mountaineering axe. As you might have guessed, steeper more technical the terrain means a shorter axe while the reverse is also true.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MedB (01/04/15 06:58 PM)

#273494 - 01/04/15 07:25 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Doug have a look at Ebay "vintage ice ax".they have a few that are made for walking and not climbing.the prices have gone up over the years!

#273497 - 01/04/15 10:08 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I'm not so sure an ice axe is a good idea unless you have some training under your belt.

An ice axe is basically a specialized tool used in serious winter climbing and can save your life if you fall on an icy slope. But only if you're properly trained in self-arrest techniques.

Which is pretty technical stuff, not something a newcomer could learn from a book. From what I've been taught, one should never use an ice axe without crampons. The two go hand in hand, but again winter mountaineering and ice climbing is serious stuff and should not be attempted without qualified training.

An average hiker will never venture that far and will never need that kind of specialized gear. In unskilled hands, an ice axe is more trouble than it's worth. An ice axe is no substitute for a walking staff or pole, it's primary purpose is completely different. It might also inspire false confidence, which is a very bad thing on a steep icy slope unless you know exactly what you're doing.

If you do want to try hardcore winter mountaineering though, do learn from a qualified instructor first. It will also make it much easier to pick the right gear for the job to begin with.

#273510 - 01/05/15 07:58 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Tom_L]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: Tom_L

An ice axe is basically a specialized tool used in serious winter climbing and can save your life if you fall on an icy slope. But only if you're properly trained in self-arrest techniques.

Tom,

That may be the current concept, but mountaineers have been using alpenstocks and ice axes as walking sticks since long before winter climbing was considered an activity. The most common use in glacier travel is very similar to walking in the winter. Although I commonly use a walking staff (mine is much like an old alpenstock) I have used my glacier ice axe many times in the winter for such uses. I have also used it on snowshoes with a snow basket. For these uses, the training required is a few minutes of practice to avoid poking yourself with it and a good pick guard. If you get into climbing without proper training you could get into trouble, but that is a problem with many tools.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#273511 - 01/05/15 08:08 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: hikermor]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am intrigued by the wide variety of hiking staffs, up to and including ice axes, that have been useful over the years,

6) for the hiker who has everything - http://www.bladehq.com/item--Crawford-Knives-Survival-Staff--12525 -must be a bargain at less than $300. Buy me one and I will graciously perform the field testing....

7) When conditions are right, nothing beats a suitable ice axe, but it is definitely a specialized tool

Hiker,

I could not agree with you more. I seldom go into the woods without one of the above. My favorite staff is a 5' or so hickory one that came from the Andrew Jackson Farm, with a great spike I added later. It is a bit hard to fly with so my most often used one is a custom Crawford staff (3-22" sections to fit in a carry on size bag, no spear). If you get to FL (or I get out of here) I will be happy to take a hike with you and let you give it a try!

Respectfully,

Jerry

#273540 - 01/06/15 09:17 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i like something with a crook at the end for reaching and pulling which is why i prefer a cane to a walking stick.

#273554 - 01/07/15 10:31 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: JerryFountain]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
That may be the current concept, but mountaineers have been using alpenstocks and ice axes as walking sticks since long before winter climbing was considered an activity.

Not trying to nitpick, but I am talking from the perspective of traditional mountaineering rather than modern "action" sports. wink

First, there is a big difference between an alpenstock and an ice axe. An alpenstock is basically a long wooden staff with a steel spike. It was used originally by shepherds, hunters and mountain men as a walking aid much like a hiking pole today.

An ice axe is a different and much more modern tool, however. In the Alpine tradition it is always used together with crampons, which are considered *the* primary bit of kit for winter & glacier climbing. An ice axe is used primarily as a climbing aid (pick) and can be handy for cutting steps (adze). It can be used as a hiking pole of sorts, but it's generally too short and much heavier than a proper hiking staff or pole. Also, it's a lot more dangerous because it's easy to fall and impale yourself on the sharp end unless you're careful. So why bother if a hiking pole is all you need?

Obviously, everyone is free to pick their own gear and if an ice axe works for you, it's all good. However, oftentimes people pick some sort of gear more because it looks cool than for any practical value.

So from that point of view I would repeat what I have been taught since an early age, growing up in the Alps: don't bother with an ice axe unless you really have to. If you have the skills to use an ice axe properly you will know already when to bring it along.

As a basic rule of thumb, for any regular walking activity hiking poles will do the trick. If you need to negotiate some minor icy slope or the like, add crampons.

Whenever you need to do serious winter climbing however, using hands as much as legs, it's time to lay the hiking pole(s) aside and use crampons and ice axe.

YMMV. smile

#273555 - 01/07/15 11:36 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Tom_L]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
That may be the current concept, but mountaineers have been using alpenstocks and ice axes as walking sticks since long before winter climbing was considered an activity.

Not trying to nitpick, but I am talking from the perspective of traditional mountaneering rather than modern "action" sports. wink

First, there is a big difference between an alpenstock and an ice axe. An alpenstock is basically a long wooden staff with a steel spike. It was used originally by shepherds, hunters and mountain men as a walking aid much like a hiking pole today.

An ice axe is a different and much more modern tool, however. In the Alpine tradition it is always used together with crampons, which are considered *the* primary bit of kit for winter & glacier climbing. An ice axe is used primarily as a climbing aid (pick) and can be handy for cutting steps (adze). It can be used as a hiking pole of sorts, but it's generally too short and much heavier than a proper hiking staff or pole. Also, it's a lot more dangerous because it's easy to fall and impale yourself on the sharp end unless you're careful. So why bother if a hiking pole is all you need?

Obviously, everyone is free to pick their own gear and if an ice axe works for you, it's all good. However, oftentimes people pick some sort of gear more because it looks cool than for any practical value.

So from that point of view I would repeat what I have been taught since an early age, growing up in the Alps: don't bother with an ice axe unless you really have to. If you have the skills to use an ice axe properly you will know already when to bring it along.

As a basic rule of thumb, for any regular walking activity hiking poles will do the trick. If you need to negotiate some minor icy slope or the like, add crampons.

Whenever you need to do serious winter climbing however, using hands as much as legs, it's time to lay the hiking pole(s) aside and use crampons and ice axe.

YMMV. smile

I remember the one time I was in team of 4 roped up and walking up a glacier with crampons and axes. A local guy just walked up next to us like it's a simple hike without crampons and a alpenstock. He was like twice as quick.

Crampons and axe or just a stick. Big grey area in between them.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 455 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.