Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#273470 - 01/03/15 05:01 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
An ice axe can also work pretty well for self-arrest on steep grassy slopes if one slips and starts to fall. "tundra axe"
I've done that once as well as used self-arrest on snow.

I dunno how Canadian police would view walking in the park with one though. It is very clearly a dangerous potential weapon and they might not buy your story about being fearful of falling into a crevasse.

#273471 - 01/03/15 06:33 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: unimogbert]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
I dunno how Canadian police would view walking in the park with one though. It is very clearly a dangerous potential weapon and they might not buy your story about being fearful of falling into a crevasse.

Not a concern, really. The head would be fully enclosed in areas where it wasn't needed. The rest is about appropriate context, dress, and deportment.

There are parks, and then there are parks. For example, a major city within driving distance has one of the longest continuous, urban river valley park systems in North America. It's a deep river valley, with ravines and plenty of slippery and high-angle terrain to play in, goat paths and game trails galore, and a surprising amount of privacy. You can scramble half a day and see very few people; and the ones you meet will "get" your "walking stick" as a handy item. (I typically avoid areas that are paved and baby stroller friendly.)

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/03/15 06:35 PM)

#273472 - 01/03/15 06:36 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am intrigued by the wide variety of hiking staffs, up to and including ice axes, that have been useful over the years, especially in unstable situations like fording streams. In rattlesnake country I always give my stick the point position.

From cheapest to most expensive:

1) a sapling plucked from a brush pile and shaped with a multitool

2)a mop handle found on a beach. With a banged up wrist, I really needed a walking stick. it worked for years...

3) a replacement shovel handle -$2 - modified with a wrist loop
-really tough and versatile

4) a set of collapsible trekking poles (I prefer to use just one at a time) - lightweight and sturdy as well as easy to stow when not in use - probably my most frequently used, although not a very strong rig.

5) a five foot long aluminum staff - really strong but unwieldy in many situations - $60 or so on sale

6) for the hiker who has everything - http://www.bladehq.com/item--Crawford-Knives-Survival-Staff--12525 -must be a bargain at less than $300. Buy me one and I will graciously perform the field testing....

7) When conditions are right, nothing beats a suitable ice axe, but it is definitely a specialized tool

#273474 - 01/03/15 07:41 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
You may also consider a "Hawken Stick" made by TOPS Knives. It is basically a cane length tomahawk. Haven't used one but know TOPS is overbuilt and solid stuff .....

BOATMAN
John

#273478 - 01/03/15 11:24 PM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Thanks, but I don't think the Hawken would suit my needs. The ice-penetrating spike at the end of a ski pole or ice axe is the most critical item for winter walking -- it sees constant use.

#273479 - 01/04/15 02:25 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Reading about alpenstocks, essentially a stout pole with an iron spike on the end, I learned that it was used in conjunction with a "small hatchet," employed for cutting steps. Bring along a rock pick or a geologist's hammer with a ski pole and you would have step cutting capability, at least for easy stretches. It might appear a bit less intimidating.

The first ascent of Mont Blanc in 1786 was accomplished with alpenstocks....

#273482 - 01/04/15 05:26 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: boatman]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: boatman
You may also consider a "Hawken Stick" made by TOPS Knives.

Looks to be a modern version of the Ciupaga.

#273483 - 01/04/15 05:30 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Herman30]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Herman30

The Chewbacca?

#273484 - 01/04/15 06:22 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: dougwalkabout]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i would suggest just a plain wood cane.before and then after i had a knee replacement i was using a hiking cane i got many-many years ago in Europe.i took off the metal tip,not spiked,and used it every day.by the time i was post surgery and really not needing it all that much i was still taking it around with me.it came in handy for just not walking but holding doors open,using he handle to pull stuff tword me, reach and pull yourself up using the crook to hold a branch or railing,pushing open doors and herding the dogs thru the kitchen door.it sort of became a extension of my arm and hand.i does not come off as a weapon of any kind as old guys have one everywhere,young guys can fake a limp if anyone gets too nosey.

#273485 - 01/04/15 06:39 AM Re: Ice Axe for General Walking? [Re: Bingley]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Originally Posted By: Herman30

The Chewbacca?

smile
http://oprishki.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/podhale-45.jpg

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.