Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2733 - 11/27/01 05:06 AM worthy websites ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was just wondering which websites you would recommend for purchasing survival equipment etc. I have looked at rei.com and am pretty impressed but haven't purchased anything yet :)<br><br>Also, in general, do items tend to be much cheaper than conventional stores ?<br><br>Thanks for your advice.

#2734 - 11/27/01 05:31 AM Re: worthy websites ?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are numerous dealers listed in the retail section. You will almost certainly buy from several to acquire exactly what you want. There may be a price spread. Be sure to factor in S/H and reputation. You might save lunch money , but dealing with familiar people beats a long face at the mailbox. There are several dealers who are infrequent, but valued members of the forum. I can personally recommend Barry at Blue Line Outfitters,Oak at Four Seasons,The folks at Exploration and MajorSurplusNSurvival. REI and Campmor are both major dealers with good reps. Make sure of what your getting. Pass on surplus unless it is stated NEW or EXCELLENT ( still cross your fngers), and phrases such as TYPE or Style are Cantonese for copies. Go slow, and ask plenty of questions from the forum if in doubt. You only need to buy the right gear once.

#2735 - 11/27/01 05:36 AM Re: worthy websites ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your help Chris. I'll take note of your points.<br>Regards.

#2736 - 11/27/01 05:44 AM Re: worthy websites ?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Vincent, I didn't notice you were in UK. we have a few UK members here. Heads up, can our UK,european members give good references?

#2737 - 11/28/01 06:19 AM Re: worthy websites ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris,<br>Yep, the U.K. is my backyard. It would be nice to know which other members of the forum are also U.K. based, then we could share places to shop and visit, like you guys do in the U.S. I am actually planning a weeks trip to Scotland (Skye region) in December...any hints/tips would be appreciated.<br>Regards<br>vincent

#2738 - 11/28/01 07:41 AM Re: worthy websites ?
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
I have bought some equipment from UK last may. I was there for power boat and rescue boat training. The prices are too high in UK but some equipment like BCB and LifeSysytems are best to buy in UK. BCB has an online store:<br><br>http://www.bcbin.com/catalog.htm<br><br>Lifesystems can be found at:<br><br>http://www.wildday.co.uk/acatalog/search_lifesystems.html<br>http://www.lifesystems.co.uk<br><br>Where in the UK do you live?<br><br><br>

#2739 - 11/28/01 05:06 PM Re: worthy websites ?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Scotland in December! Dress warmly and carry a hiking staff. This isn't to defend yourself from nationalists promoting Sean Connery as King, but for a walking aid. I know Britain actually has a few rare big cats roaming the countryside. From what im told, these are released exotic pets. Of course,the ley line and crop circle set will tell you they're native survivors. I doubt any encounters, but those hedghogs charge when wounded according to my brit friends; requiring nothing less than a rapid fire reponse from a SMLE. Have you taken any courses there? I know there is the one school and instructor.

#2740 - 11/28/01 05:45 PM Re: worthy websites ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Watch out for the wild Haggis!

#2741 - 11/29/01 03:51 AM Re: worthy websites ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I'm more worried about dodgy haggis and prehistoric mosquitoes than wild beasts and killer hedgehogs, although a few wee drams of the 'water of life' should relieve my tensions.<br><br>Last year I did a Winter mountaincraft course which was fun ! Ben Nevis is not so forgiving in a Force 7 :)<br><br>I'm actually from Bolton, near Manchester if anyone wants to know.<br><br>Cheers,<br>vincent

#2742 - 11/29/01 04:50 AM Re: worthy websites ?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had a scot G/f who lived in a redwood treehouse while attending US Santa Cruz. learning the subtleties of a single malt 60' up a tree in a rainstorm was much more mind expanding than the idiots ingesting mushrooms will ever achieve ( screaming segments from THE TEMPEST back at the storm impressed her greatly.) My mechanic is from Manchester. He has every expatriot Brit dropping off empty Altoid tins for me LOL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.