Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#273295 - 12/17/14 05:43 PM Looking for a watch.
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
The Rolex thread disclosed a lot of watch knowledge in the group. I am not similarly educated. So what would you recommend as a watch for me with the following criteria.

I do communications for a number of groups in very remote parts of the world. I am looking for an inexpensive watch that will spend most of its time packed in my gear bag, being used only when I am "working". If it is cheap enough I might carry two, although we have a number of other time sources available. This is a convenience item that will make my work easier when on foot or working with minimal gear.

It must have two time zones displayed at the same time and both must be as large as possible. One will be Coordinated Universal Time (UTC or Z time) the other will be the time zone where I am located. Both must be digital displays.

It must be easy to set the time (usually hacked from WWV or similar). "Atomic" feature not desired because I doubt it will work in the highlands of Brazil or other distant locations. Some watches require an amazing number of steps to set the time.

Standard battery operation is fine as I will change the battery periodically (Yearly?) and carry a spare.

I am allergic to nickle so all parts touching my skin must be plastic or non-allergenic (is that the correct term?).

Reasonable dust and water protection is required but I won't be diving with it.

The watch should have minimum "bling". Nothing fancy or expensive looking. The ideal would look like a typical WalMart cheapie.

It should not have any other "features" like alarms, timers etc. Those are not needed and complicate operation.

I have spent a lot of time hunting for the above and am beginning to think it does not exist. Any suggestions appreciated.

Nomad.

#273296 - 12/17/14 07:10 PM Re: Looking for a watch. [Re: Nomad]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Both Timex and Casio make watches that meet your needs except for the requirement that metal not touch your skin. I wonder if you should look for a watch that meets your other requirements and then use a sticker of some kind to protect your skin.

#273298 - 12/17/14 10:45 PM Re: Looking for a watch. [Re: Nomad]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
What your describing is your basic analog/digital watch with a resin body. I know you said duel digital displays, but I'm not sure such an animal exists. Look for the AQ or AW (AQ150W-1EV is my weekend watch) series Casios. You can display one time on the analog face and and additonal time on the digital display. The caseback is stainless steel, and probably 304. 304 has 8-10% nickle, but I don't know if nickle bothers you as an alloying element, or just as the base metal.

I can't swear to it, but the Armitron Sport 20/ series has similiar features

EDIT: The NATO style bands put a nylon strap between your wrist and the caseback. I found them a little flimsy to be comfortable, but YMMV.

Edited by Mark_R (12/17/14 10:53 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#273303 - 12/18/14 05:44 AM Re: Looking for a watch. [Re: Nomad]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I'm not sure about the watch, but I think a Nato or Zulu strap would be the best way to keep the watch off your skin. As long as the watch takes a standard sized band (20 or 22 mm) you can just replace the band on the watch you find. Personally, I like the Nato style and have bought them here before: Top Spec US watch straps

#273304 - 12/18/14 04:45 PM Re: Looking for a watch. [Re: Denis]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Thanks all for the replies. I will be in "the big city" in a few days and will continue my quest.

Nickel allergies are the most common skin irritation and even a small amount as an alloy will cause me a problem. Especially in hot humid climates like Florida or Brazil. My next trip to Brazil will coincide with CARNIVAL!! (Talk about hot and sweaty).

The preference for digital is size. Most of the analog/digital watches are much larger than I would like.

That said, I will probably get an analog/digital one and give it a try. They are cheap enough.

I will check out the straps.

Thanks Again..
Nomad

#273319 - 12/19/14 08:35 PM Re: Looking for a watch. [Re: Nomad]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Just one more suggestion: bund style watch bands keep the watch completely off of your skin.
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_10?k=bund+watch+strap&sprefix=bund+watch

I was looking at them as a way to deal with the sweat corrosion problems that keep destroying my brass cased watches.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#273331 - 12/21/14 06:33 AM Re: Looking for a watch. [Re: Nomad]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Nomad I have a brand new Casio AE 1000 watch It's yours if ya want it..
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#273345 - 12/22/14 05:32 PM Re: Looking for a watch. [Re: leemann]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Thanks for the offer. However I checked one out and it does not meet some of my criteria. Looks like I will have to try an analog/digital model to get both time zones visible at the same time.

Thanks again for the offer.

Nomad

#273346 - 12/22/14 07:04 PM Re: Looking for a watch. [Re: Nomad]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
For multiple time zones, I use my iPhone or iPad. I can display 5 time zones simultaneously, including UTC. Even when out of cellular range, it still works.

#273349 - 12/22/14 10:03 PM Re: Looking for a watch. [Re: Nomad]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

FYI: Homemade, low profile, bund strap made from scavanged insole Should open up the option for stainless caseback watches without triggering your nickle allergy.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/remedy-my-sore-wrist-bone-783398.html

I may build one for myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.